Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ralmist View Post
    How can the Academy nominate a movie for best picture without a nomination for the director and the screenplay? These three go hand in hand and the absence of these nominations shows that the Academy is either doing away with old patterns or recognizing big hits without intending to award them. At least A Star is Born has an adapted screenplay nomination. It boggles the mind why Bohemian Rhapsody, A Star is Born and BP are best picture but then again I still remember how bored I was watching the English Patient when I was young
    the same as winning the SAG for best cast with no acting nominations. illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Two Towers was the only Lord of the Rings movie that wasn't nominated for Best Director and Best Adapted Screenplay. Fellowship was nominated for both and Return of the King actually won for both. True, it did not get any acting awards, but those movies were far beyond the performances. They were an achievement in filmmaking, which is what garnered them the awards. And clearly the ROTK awards were for the entire project.
    Didn't people use to say lord of the rings best picture win in 2003 was about the fellowship and two two towers too. any of the 3 films could have won the best picture award of the year in 2001, 2002, 2003, it was better to give it out on the endgame film. it was more like a retirement award for Lord of the rings. Morgan Freeman winning for million dollar baby on paper but actually winning as a veteran actor. Oscars can get whacky. ie denying Ben Affleck a best director nomination for Argo but what they did this year was harmful not to films but to the academy.

Ultimate Member

Black Panther getting nominated for Best Picture and not for any other categories is odd but the "discussion" around this is even more curious. There were literally no discussions on these forums when Selma (which was quite recent) and The Lord of the Rings (Two Towers) got only Best picture nominations but none of the other major categories.

I think we need to be clear about something, Black Panther, for all the themes it touched upon, is a superhero movie. These movies aren't well regarded by the Academy no matter how good. Black Panther only broke through the barrier because it touched on topics that are socially relevant that have never been touched on in blockbuster movies. Some arthouse films have featured some themes but they aren't mainstream. Not to mention I have never seen afro-futurism (which isn't a new concept) featured in a mainstream film before.
    The alt-right, 4chan adjacent youtubers , the guys that are biased against the MCU and the flat out racists that have never seen the movie aren't making sensible arguments against this because even they don't believe what they are saying (again, a consequence of chan culture where nothing is moderated and people just spout all sorts of lies, conspiracy theories and nonsense they made up themselves). Seriously though, these guys are adults that spend far too much time thinking, complaining and being afraid of what they don't understand and can't identify with instead of trying to understand different people's culture, gender identity, sexuality and/or beliefs. Even "Incels" are getting in on the hate..but I digress.

Black Panther getting the best picture nomination IS the achievement in and of itself. I don't recall any movie that's gotten the level of acclaim that BP got and was snubbed by the Oscars (i could be wrong and i'm ready to be corrected on this). One could make the argument that the Academy might be grudgingly nominating the movie but it just shows that strides have been made. Again, it's a superhero movie, it's not likely to get other major nominations (Heath Ledger was nominated and won most likely because he had passed away).

IMHO, Marvel and Kevin Feige deserve a lot of credit, Why? Because no major studio has EVER made a $200 million+ budgeted superhero movie with an entirely black cast, an up and coming black director and a black lead that's not a box office draw. We recently heard some studio exec state that black led movies don't make money outside North America which has been proven to be insane talk because Black Panther grossed $645 million outside the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Black Panther getting nominated for Best Picture and not for any other categories is odd but the "discussion" around this is even more curious. There were literally no discussions on these forums when Selma (which was quite recent) and The Lord of the Rings (Two Towers) got only Best picture nominations but none of the other major categories.

I think we need to be clear about something, Black Panther, for all the themes it touched upon, is a superhero movie. These movies aren't well regarded by the Academy no matter how good. Black Panther only broke through the barrier because it touched on topics that are socially relevant that have never been touched on in blockbuster movies. Some arthouse films have featured some themes but they aren't mainstream. Not to mention I have never seen afro-futurism (which isn't a new concept) featured in a mainstream film before.
    The alt-right, 4chan adjacent youtubers , the guys that are biased against the MCU and the flat out racists that have never seen the movie aren't making sensible arguments against this because even they don't believe what they are saying (again, a consequence of chan culture where nothing is moderated and people just spout all sorts of lies, conspiracy theories and nonsense they made up themselves). Seriously though, these guys are adults that spend far too much time thinking, complaining and being afraid of what they don't understand and can't identify with instead of trying to understand different people's culture, gender identity, sexuality and/or beliefs. Even "Incels" are getting in on the hate..but I digress.

Black Panther getting the best picture nomination IS the achievement in and of itself. I don't recall any movie that's gotten the level of acclaim that BP got and was snubbed by the Oscars (i could be wrong and i'm ready to be corrected on this). One could make the argument that the Academy might be grudgingly nominating the movie but it just shows that strides have been made. Again, it's a superhero movie, it's not likely to get other major nominations (Heath Ledger was nominated and won most likely because he had passed away).

IMHO, Marvel and Kevin Feige deserve a lot of credit, Why? Because no major studio has EVER made a $200 million+ budgeted superhero movie with an entirely black cast, an up and coming black director and a black lead that's not a box office draw. We recently heard some studio exec state that black led movies don't make money outside North America which has been proven to be insane talk because Black Panther grossed $645 million outside the US.
    I dont know if it was nominated grudgingly. I mean it won at the SAG awards and actors make up a huge chunk of the academy.

BANNED

Bret Easton Ellis Questions ‘Black Panther’ Oscar Nomination for Best Picture
    https://www.thewrap.com/bret-easton-...y-deserve-one/

The best part of this article are the comments below. . People are agreeing with everything he said.

This man will never find work in hollywood again.

Astonishing Member

Dunno why super heroes movies never got a nomination for a best movie Oscar so far but seems odd as many of the classical movies were based in characters similiar to super heroes as Robin Hood and Zorro.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Dunno why super heroes movies never got a nomination for a best movie Oscar so far but seems odd as many of the classical movies were based in characters similiar to super heroes as Robin Hood and Zorro.
    The Oscars took a bad moment to start nominating comic movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post

The best part of this article are the comments below. . People are agreeing with everything he said.

The Canyons made sure of that.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    IF those films make a profit in the USA-why would anyone care about the oversea market? That is money saved in promotion and translating.

Blade says his. His last movie made more overseas than in the USA. His other two made $10 million less overseas than in the USA.

Get Out would have still made a profit if it only had overseas box office.

Pacific Rim Uprising made more overseas with it's black lead and barely missed making a profit

Into the Spider Verse only needs $8 million overseas to make more than the USA run.

Straight out of Compton would have made a profit if it only counted overseas run.

Creed 2 needs $28 million to be the USA box office (14 to hit 100 million) And both Creed films would still be hits with oversea box office only.

They want to use that excuse to NOT make black lead films. They won't talk about all these white movies that don't make overseas money or NEEDED oversea money to sniff a profit or lessen a loss.

Hi Tomorrow Land, Pixels, Fantastic Four (2016), War Dogs & Assassin's Creed.

Hi Disney's Brother Bear-you too.

Meanwhile the hated Ghostbusters 2016 made 100 million here and overseas.

Ultimate Member

Well, he's primarily a novelist so his main career is not going to be hurt.

Second of all, there's a number of people who actually do work in the industry that have a grudge against how superhero movies have taken over the business.

At least he can call things as it is.

How a movie gets nominated for one category and not others is pretty straightforward and certainly not a conspiracy. Most categories have five nominations and so Best Picture (with up to ten) will almost certainly contain movies that are not reflected in the other categories purely because there are five or more movies that the academy at large are considering when choosing the other categories.

It is always rather strange that people look at the Oscar nominations as something that can be ‘fixed’. It can be lobbied for and it can be influenced by campaigns, but essentially the academy members have a free choice as to what their choices are and what order they place their own nominations in. This is then carefully analysed by neutral accountants instructed by the academy.

The reason we are likely to see more movies with a more commercial bent is also nothing to do with the academy choosing things for commercial reasons. What has happened is the academy have responded to accusations of bias by increasing the number of members and casting their net wider for members from different walks of life, ages, racial demographics, etc. So we have seen more genre movies in the last couple of years because different people are now voting.

The biggest question this year is why are there not enough female directors in the academy, leading to the director category being totally male yet again, in a year of many standout female directed movies. But note, the main way to change that is representation in the academy not the lazy accusations of token choices.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 02-06-2019 at 04:35 AM.

Get Hectic!

Three Oscars but no Best Picture oh well...

Get Hectic!

Quote Originally Posted by FLEX HECTIC View Post
    Three Oscars but no Best Picture oh well...

Hey at the end of the day it’s still an Oscar winner and the only MCU flick with Oscars under its belt so far. Can’t go wrong with that.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Mighty Member

I will always believe The Dark Knight was cheated at the Oscars. Great BP got nominated, but I hope it's because of the film, not political correctness.

I'm a bit shocked Green Book won, because I've seen some pretty poor reviews.