Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Ultimate Member

Default Black Panther nominated for Oscar Best Picture

First superhero movie ever to get the nomination. The film got 7 nominations in total.

Top grossing superhero movie ever domestic. Highest selling DVD of the year.

With this, my work is done.
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-22-2019 at 08:03 AM.

Don't see it doing anything beyond a nomination.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    It'll probably win in the technical categories.

I don't see any superhero movie winning best picture in my lifetime.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I don't see any superhero movie winning best picture in my lifetime.
    And probably not in your child's lifetime either. That Spanish language film, Roma looks like the sure bet to claim Best Picture.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    And probably not in your child's lifetime either. That Spanish language film, Roma looks like the sure bet to claim Best Picture.
    Roma is a big win for Netflix.

That being said, a nomination for a superhero movie is a big win in and of itself.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I was also glad that Bohemian Rhapsody got some Oscar nominations too after a lot of critics thought the Golden Globes was a fluke. Funny that I didn't go to the movies that much last year and yet the two I enjoyed the most got Best Picture nominations.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-22-2019 at 09:32 AM.

Roma is a big win for Netflix.

That being said, a nomination for a superhero movie is a big win in and of itself.
    I have to say, I question the nomination for Best Picture, but I sincerely hope Black Panther wins for Best Achievement in Costume Design. The look of this movie was so unique and dramatic that I would be pretty sad if it didn't win in that category. I also think it's a strong contender for the Best Achievement in Music. That scene where T'Challa confronts his father in the ancestral plane and T'Challa tells T'Chakka he was wrong and the music welling up? Beautiful.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

It'll probably win in the technical categories.
    The fact that all its other nominations are in technical categories probably means that it won't win Best Picture. It's nice to be nominated, but typically Best Picture nominees are accompanied by nominations for Best Director and/or Best Writing (of some kind).

P.S. My heart would want Black Panther to win, but my mind would ask, "C'mon, really? Against THAT lineup?"

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    How do you lose credibility being nominated for best picture? That doesn't make any sense.
    The hate boner is strong.
    Last edited by Cyke; 01-22-2019 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    P.S. My heart would want Black Panther to win, but my mind would ask, "C'mon, really? Against THAT lineup?"
    Same. I'm happy that a cape movie got a nom, especially this particular movie, but as much as I enjoyed it I wouldn't have thought it was Best Picture worthy. (Doubly so for WW, which was good but way more flawed.)

BANNED

typically Best Picture nominees are accompanied by nominations for Best Director and/or Best Writing (of some kind).

Brilliantly spotted. I was immediately called a hater for saying the same thing. the movie not be accompanied by Best Director , best actor/actress and/or Best Writing means it cannot be a best picture contender.. its like trying to finish a relay race when the first baton was never handed to the second runner. there wont be a last runner to bring it home and win aka the best picture.

The fact that all its other nominations are in technical categories probably means that it won't win Best Picture. It's nice to be nominated, but typically Best Picture nominees are accompanied by nominations for Best Director and/or Best Writing (of some kind).
    Yeah, I have to say that the fact that Black Panther's other nominations were all in technical categories -- typical for CBMs -- is kind of a tell that Best Picture was a symbolic nomination because it was an important cultural milestone, but that's ok. Change has to begin somewhere.

I agree that Chadwick Boseman should not have been nominated for Actor because BP was kind of a flat character, but the fact that Michael B. Jordan didn't even get a Supporting Actor nomination is a big tip off that no one is looking closely at the content of BP. I thought the Killmonger speech at the end could be Oscar bait, but I can see that other than that, there wasn't enough to bring it to consideration for a nomination.

Still, BP did get 7 nominations, which is likely a record for a CBM.

Here's how the other 2018 Comic Book movies stacked up:
    Aquaman: nothing.
    Venom: nothing.
    Teen Titans Go to the Movies: nothing
    Ant-Man and the Wasp: nothing
    Deadpool 2: nothing

Infinity War: 1 for Visual Effects
    Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse: 1 for Best Animated Feature Film

So, congratulations to Marvel for getting two important Oscar nominations: Best Picture and Best Animated Feature Film! That's pretty fantastic!

In other news, congratulations to Amy Adams (DCEU's Lois Lane) for getting an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress for Vice as Lynne Cheney.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Yeah, I have to say that the fact that Black Panther's other nominations were all in technical categories -- typical for CBMs -- is kind of a tell that Best Picture was a symbolic nomination because it was an important cultural milestone, but that's ok. Change has to begin somewhere.

I agree that Chadwick Boseman should not have been nominated for Actor because BP was kind of a flat character, but the fact that Michael B. Jordan didn't even get a Supporting Actor nomination is a big tip off that no one is looking closely at the content of BP. I thought the Killmonger speech at the end could be Oscar bait, but I can see that other than that, there wasn't enough to bring it to consideration for a nomination.

Still, BP did get 7 nominations, which is likely a record for a CBM.

Here's how the other 2018 Comic Book movies stacked up:
    Aquaman: nothing.
    Venom: nothing.
    Teen Titans Go to the Movies: nothing
    Ant-Man and the Wasp: nothing
    Deadpool 2: nothing

Infinity War: 1 for Visual Effects
    Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse: 1 for Best Animated Feature Film

So, congratulations to Marvel for getting two important Oscar nominations: Best Picture and Best Animated Feature Film! That's pretty fantastic!

In other news, congratulations to Amy Adams (DCEU's Lois Lane) for getting an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress for Vice as Lynne Cheney.
    I'm honestly hoping BlacKKKlansman or Roma wins.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Having not seen Can You Ever Forgive Me?, I'm not entirely sure who I'd replace Michael B Jordan with. Before him, I'd probably think to include Rafael Casal from Blindspotting (A movie that was horribly overlooked) before Michael B Jordan. Even Topher Grace in Blackkklansman.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    Even if it doesn't win, just getting nominated is pretty special. Super hero movies never get those sort of considerations. Hopefully this will help change the perception of the genre a bit.

BANNED

This is now the standard to get Oscars. poor Oscars. However this settles the debate of marvel vs dc bias.

Wonder Woman was not nominated for anything. Black Panther racks up many.