Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Compelling characters? Yeah I’m waiting for the iconic character that viewed as one of the greatest character performances ever to show itself.

I don’t really know how much clearer you can define a pure anarchist who wants to cause chaos. I mean not only did the antagonist state it himself, you had multiple characters talking about how “he just wants to watch the world burn”.

Third act? Really a generic battle and a one on one fight that wasn’t particularly memorable was a great third act. I guess Bilbo Baggins playing Star Fox was more compelling than the boat scene and Harvey Dents fall.

Okay as far as measurable.....

1. Performances. There was no acting near the level of Ledger or Eckhart. Jordan was probably the best actor in the film and I wouldn’t even catagorize it as the best performance he had this year.

2. Directing. Yeah gonna give the nod to Nolan on this one. Sorry but there’s very little direction wise that sets Black Panthers actual visual story telling apart from a typical Marvel film. It was done about as well as you can, but still very formulaic.

3. Effects. Well let’s just say there wasn’t a single action scene better than TDK’s car chase scene. Probably not a better set piece scene than the bank robbery.

4. Cinematography.... yeah I really don’t see what’s even remotely notable about Black Panther on this front.

5. Influence. Well for about a decade everyone and there mother has been ripping off The Dark Knight and it’s arguably the most famous film of its decade, certainly that year.

I’d be hard pressed to find a real technical aspect of filmmaking that Black Panther outpaced The Dark Knight. Like I could see someone subjectively liking the story and the themes better. But as a film? No it’s not really that much of a contest.
    Ya I agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by babybats View Post
    That's not a qualifier, I'm talking about adding another category for action genre films like there are for comedy and drama and animation (which isn't even a genre, it's a medium, but whatever, Hollywood).
    This made me think of a way to boost ratings.

Have multiple categories:

Best Drama
    Best Comedy
    Best Musical
    Best Animated
    Best Horror
    Best Action

And then the winner for each is up for Best Picture and it's decided live, by the attendees.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    This made me think of a way to boost ratings.

Have multiple categories:

Best Drama
    Best Comedy
    Best Musical
    Best Animated
    Best Horror
    Best Action

And then the winner for each is up for Best Picture and it's decided live, by the attendees.
    Well...that sounds a little too reality tv. lol Also it's not like the best movie out of each genre necessarily deserves to be in Best Picture. And there aren't enough musical films for there to be a musical category. Maybe Horror could be combined with Action the way Musical is with Comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Other awards make that distinction, but not the Oscars, I believe.

Word is that the Oscars started the Best Animated Film award to prevent future animated movies from being nominated for Best Film like Beauty and the Beast did; Roger Ebert also believed it was a way to stop films like Spirited Away as well, and he even accused the Academy of sabotaging Princess Mononoke's chances of nomination for Best Foreign Film. The official reasoning is that the field of animated movies have grown, but still, so have all other movies.
    That's really interesting. I can see how members of the Academy might be concerned that animation (especially during the Disney Renaissance and the height of Miyazaki's popularity) might seem more impressive when held up against live action. And even though I always prefer animated films, I never consider them when thinking of the Best Picture category, so I guess their plan worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I agree that Chadwick Boseman should not have been nominated for Actor because BP was kind of a flat character, but the fact that Michael B. Jordan didn't even get a Supporting Actor nomination is a big tip off that no one is looking closely at the content of BP. I thought the Killmonger speech at the end could be Oscar bait, but I can see that other than that, there wasn't enough to bring it to consideration for a nomination.
    Having not seen Can You Ever Forgive Me?, I'm not entirely sure who I'd replace Michael B Jordan with. Before him, I'd probably think to include Rafael Casal from Blindspotting (A movie that was horribly overlooked) before Michael B Jordan. Even Topher Grace in Blackkklansman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post

This is now the standard to get Oscars. poor Oscars. However this settles the debate of marvel vs dc bias.

Wonder Woman was not nominated for anything. Black Panther racks up many.
    After watching this video of this white suprematism reporter. I’ve had a change of heart.
    I hope and pray BP win all seven Oscar awards, especially best picture.

The tears. The delicious delicious fanboy tears lol.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    I feel that it's domestic gross was inflated by an unnaturally long theatrical run since it was in theaters for an unheard of (in this decade)6 months. How much did it gross 6-8 weeks in? I think that's about the usual cutoff for a blockbuster and what it would have made if it was a normal run.

I thought it was mediocre at best but that's just my opinion.
    Where did you get that movies spend 6-8 weeks in the theatre???? Movies (especially blockbusters) spend months before moving to discount theatres.

This is irrelevant though, Black Panther opened with $202m and did around $112m in its second weekend (which was already higher than the Avengers second weekend of $103m). It probably was around $550m to $600m after 5 weeks or so. Which would have still been enough to clear the Avengers record.

Black Panther was a monster all around. You might not have liked it but audiences flocked to it over and over again seeing how it legged out to $700m domestic.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shadey View Post
    It’s actually crazy.

The most complaints I’m reading are from inside the fandom.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post

This is now the standard to get Oscars. poor Oscars. However this settles the debate of marvel vs dc bias.

Wonder Woman was not nominated for anything. Black Panther racks up many.
    Wow an opinion expressed by a guy in the video who admits he has not even seen the movie and is dismissing it out of hand because it is about a comic book character and whose own political agenda is as bad or worse than what he accuses Winfrey of.
    Power with Girl is better.

Cool Black Panther was the best film I saw this year

Quote Originally Posted by Shadey View Post
    Shadey, the wailing and rending of clothe has gone from sad to funny!

Black Panther was the best film I saw this year and I am happy (to the extent that I care about the Oscars) for its nominations!

As an aside, The Dark Knight was trash. The first Nolan Batman movie was the better than the Joker one, which was so stupid and boring I didn't even wish to see the third product.

None were better than Ryan Coogler's Black Panther.

The reviews testify to Black Panther's superior craft, the revenue even adjusted for inflation, show its superior popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It’s actually crazy.

The most complaints I’m reading are from inside the fandom.
    Username, I dare say the majority of comic fandom are retarded. Stan Lee remarked on the changes he had to make to the Fantastic Four after their initial release in the 60's due to the hidebound nature of the comic's buyers.

The anger directed toward "Black Panther" since its promotion has been a pathetic strain of "stop liking what I don't like!" with the added dose of "I'm not racist but,.... Black Panther is only at succeeding because it's black!" Apparently oblivious to fact that people could say the same thing about all of the white films made! They are so mired in there own culture that they don't see that other people might find it strange or straight up don't like it!

Anyway, congratulations to the cast and crew of "Black Panther"! You've made an excellent film that will be talked about and studied long after the majority of the current crop of movies are forgotten!

Excelsior!

Daoud

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders View Post
    After watching this video of this white suprematism reporter. I’ve had a change of heart.
    I hope and pray BP win all seven Oscar awards, especially best picture.
    I actually thought it was a parody video like The Onion or something.

But they are actually serious..Trumpcoin 2020? Lolololololololololol

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daoud View Post
    Shadey, the wailing and rending of clothe has gone from sad to funny!

Black Panther was the best film I saw this year and I am happy (to the extent that I care about the Oscars) for its nominations!

As an aside, The Dark Knight was trash. The first Nolan Batman movie was the better than the Joker one, which was so stupid and boring I didn't even wish to see the third product.

None were better than Ryan Coogler's Black Panther.

The reviews testify to Black Panther's superior craft, the revenue even adjusted for inflation, show its superior popularity.

Username, I dare say the majority of comic fandom are retarded. Stan Lee remarked on the changes he had to make to the Fantastic Four after their initial release in the 60's due to the hidebound nature of the comic's buyers.

The anger directed toward "Black Panther" since its promotion has been a pathetic strain of "stop liking what I don't like!" with the added dose of "I'm not racist but,.... Black Panther is only at succeeding because it's black!" Apparently oblivious to fact that people could say the same thing about all of the white films made! They are so mired in there own culture that they don't see that other people might find it strange or straight up don't like it!

Anyway, congratulations to the cast and crew of "Black Panther"! You've made an excellent film that will be talked about and studied long after the majority of the current crop of movies are forgotten!

Excelsior!

Daoud
    Agreed.

The rubbish BP has had to deal with is ridiculous, even before the movie came out, folks were already review bombing on RT and IMDB.

Biggest film of the year- oh because it has a black cast
    Highest selling DVD- oh it’s because it has a black cast
    Top selling soundtrack- oh it’s becauser it has a black cast
    Most acclaimed superhero movie ever- oh, it’s because it has a black cast
    Tons of awards consideration across the board- oh it’s because it has a black cast

At certain point the logic starts become ridiculous. Funny thing is the Oscars have largely snubbed black movies. Straight Outta Compton is probably one of the better biopics I’ve seen and it was straight up snubbed at the Oscars. Spike Lee is just getting his first ever best director nomination, like, that’s straight up insane!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Agreed.

Biggest film of the year- oh because it has a black cast
    Highest selling DVD- oh it’s because it has a black cast
    Top selling soundtrack- oh it’s becauser it has a black cast
    Most acclaimed superhero movie ever- oh, it’s because it has a black cast
    Tons of awards consideration across the board- oh it’s because it has a black cast

All true once you remove the black cast.

Also Mission Impossible fallout is the best film of the year. Not one single nomination.
    At certain point the logic starts become ridiculous. Funny thing is the Oscars have largely snubbed black movies. Straight Outta Compton is probably one of the better biopics I’ve seen and it was straight up snubbed at the Oscars. Spike Lee is just getting his first ever best director nomination, like, that’s straight up insane!
    All the argument gets lost when race is brought up. people looked past race for black panther and wanted the movie to be judge on merit. the best tactics to protect black panther undeserved nomination is to keep making it about race. Now we are all called racist for saying the truth that black panther was undeserving when there have been better superhero movies.

Into the spiderverse is having a better positive reactions for animated feature, because it was deserved. Into the spidverse stars mile Morales. why isn't race a factor.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    1.344 billion WW
    700 mil domestic
    A+ Cinemascore

97% RT score
    8.2/10 RT rating
    100% Top Critics RT score
    8.9/10 Top Critics RT Rating
    88 metacritic score

Oscar nominated
    MTV Award winner
    Teen Choice Award Winner
    Peoples Choice Award Winner
    BET Award Winner
    Satellite Award Winner
    Critics Choice Award Winner

I got time today . What the F*ck does Logan and Dark Knight deserving nomination have to do with Black Panther, That is the fault of Oscar voters, not Black Panther. Oh well this year voter pulls their heads out there ass voted for Superhero movie like they should of in past years. Does Black Panther win? No, the system is still set up against genre movies but wall is down and the next superhero film that is deserving will have a better chance. That said nothing you guys is going to take away what it already has done. Is Black Panther one of the best film of the year? Apparently the audience and critics thought so. Period
    bravo sir. Well said.
    This coming from a guy who thinks The Dark Knight should be nominated in 2009