Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I really don't get why there is a certain snobbism against superhero movies period. They're just modern age heroic myths that started way back with Homer telling the story of Odysseus. The Lord of the Rings got an huge respect and Oscar nominations. I suppose some could criticize it for just being a fanciful story of mythical creatures and kingdoms. But that's what movies sell.... illusions, fantasy and technical wizardry.

We're not watching Dick Cheney being filmed...we're watching Christian Bale made up to look like Dick Cheney. Or Gary Oldman made up to look like Winston Churchill. But with the magic of film, if it is successful, we believe in the artificially created reality of the moment. If a film has done this task successfully, then it deserves recognition.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-23-2019 at 08:26 AM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I see a lot of whining from Dark Knight and Logan fans that their pet movie didn't get the rub. At least complain about BP possibly not being up to snuff against it's fellow nominatees. It ain't competing with a 10 year old movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Superheroes are not a genre.
    It isn't? Who says?

Sandy Hausler
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Suggesting the movie got all this acclaim, plus the mammoth box office, plus the huge DVD sales, plus the awards just because of a black cast is a complete and total fantasy..
    No, it isn't. Praise was being heaped on Black Panther even before anyone got to see it. Cultural impact, everyone said. This nomination is about virtue signaling and that's all it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I see a lot of whining from Dark Knight and Logan fans that their pet movie didn't get the rub. It ain't competing with a 10 year old movie.
    That's the point, though. There have been other movies in the genre deserving of a Best Picture nod, and didn't get one, so why Black Panther? We all know why.

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    That's the point, though. There have been other movies in the genre deserving of a Best Picture nod, and didn't get one, so why Black Panther? We all know why.
    I think times are simply changing. I think super hero movies, which in the past haven't been taken seriously, are now getting a bit more respect. And certainly movies like Dark Knight helped pave the way for that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think times are simply changing. I think super hero movies, which in the past haven't been taken seriously, are now getting a bit more respect. And certainly movies like Dark Knight helped pave the way for that.
    Are you saying superhero movies are now getting respect when the cast is all black. why did they not get respect when the cast was all white? BP nomination makes people respect superhero movies less. respect is earned.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    Are you saying superhero movies are now getting respect when the cast is all black. why did they not get respect when the cast was all white? BP nomination makes people respect superhero movies less. respect is earned.
    No, I'm saying the started getting more respect before Black Panther (hence me saying Dark Knight helped pave the way). Once you start getting a string of great movies, like Winter Soldier and Logan, I think people started taking them more seriously. Again, Black Panther is just the culmination of that.

This sort of thing doesn't just happen overnight. I don't think ONE good movie is going to accomplish that. It likely took several to bring about that sort of change in the way people were thinking.

No, it isn't. Praise was being heaped on Black Panther even before anyone got to see it. Cultural impact, everyone said. This nomination is about virtue signaling and that's all it is.
    OMG..."virtue signaling" who makes this crap up? 4chan?

BANNED

No, I'm saying the started getting more respect before Black Panther (hence me saying Dark Knight helped pave the way). Once you start getting a string of great movies, like Winter Soldier and Logan, I think people started taking them more seriously. Again, Black Panther is just the culmination of that.

This sort of thing doesn't just happen overnight. I don't think ONE good movie is going to accomplish that. It likely took several to bring about that sort of change in the way people were thinking.
    Fans keep bringing up winter solider, it has to be the best MCU movie though the second best comic film of 2014 after DOFP. Logan and TDK were such watershed comic moments people forget Batman Begins and DOFP , two films that will be stronger Oscar contenders than black panther, if it was really about the best movie. The oscars are suppose to be about the best on merit. that is only when you can take it seriously. if the best MCU movie got no nomination, it cant be taken seriously since it contradicts why the Oscars exist.

Dark Knight had a terrible coda tacked on to a great movie. Other than that, it deserved to be nominated. It had great performances (one inspired), great set pieces, great dialog, great direction, etc.

Logan ... had clunky dialog, no set-pieces of note, an unbelievable relationship, among other issues. That being said, it deserved some nominations for those 3 performances. But not as a whole film. I really don't think Logan even is in the top 10 CBM films of all time. Those performances saved it.

Wonder Woman ... same deal as Logan for the most part. It had amazing set-pieces but that was it. The supporting cast saved most of the movie. It deserved technical nominations but not best picture.

Black Panther had some PIS (why shoot an energy based suit with ... energy), a wasted subplot (see Dark Knight), and bad animal CGI. That being said, it deserved to be nominated. It had good performances, amazing set pieces, good dialog, great direction, etc.

Without Dark Knight paving the way for serious, well done supers ... Black Panther wouldn't have been able to be the zeitgeist it was.

You can totally say Dark Knight was good, deserved to be nominated, AND say Black Panther was good, deserved to be nominated. It does not have to be an either/or. Dark Knight and Black Panther are great films, they are not perfect. They deserve to be nominated but IMHO don't deserve to win.

All I hope is that Black Panther opens the eyes of people to Sci-fi and other genre fair as being great sources for film.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 01-23-2019 at 02:36 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Even before that I would say , Spider-Man 2 (2004) got respect and a very glowing review (4 stars) from revered critic Roger Ebert. He also gave Iron Man (2008) 4 stars

Ultimate Member

Praise before it came out? from where???

It’s was review bombed by the 4chan crowd before it came out. You know, the anti minority, anti women troll crowd. There was even that ridiculous Facebook group.

If you didn’t like the movie that’s fine but let’s not make up stuff to make a point. That’s really unnecessary from you because you and I have largely agreed on a lot of stuff on these boards.
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-23-2019 at 01:49 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    OMG..."virtue signaling" who makes this crap up? 4chan?
    Exactly.

People are getting ridiculous now.

The Academy expanded its voter base to include more ethnicities, genders and nationalities.

That’s why we are getting movies from all manner of directors nominated nowadays. It’s unfortunate they didn’t nominate any woman though, I was never really here was one of the best movies of the year but Adam McKay somehow got in despite Vice being a bang average movie.
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-23-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Even before that I would say , Spider-Man 2 (2004) got respect and a very glowing review (4 stars) from revered critic Roger Ebert. He also gave Iron Man (2008) 4 stars
    In my mind, both of these movies deserved Oscar nods. Maybe Iron Man a little more than Spider-Man 2 because it was more self-contained. But both movies had the disadvantage of the stigma of comic book movies, which was firmly in place at the time.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.