Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    No ones talking about Vice because its obviously Oscar bait. Its a movie heavily focused on one dudes acting skill, his physical transformation and its about a figure that everyone hates which was released around Christmas and barely made any money.
    Yeah Vice is a film that’s getting by off its performances. It probably had the best transformative performances in film this year. Also it was filmed in the same style as The Big Short, which also got nominated. It’s not really that surprising

Ok anyone who think there isnt a social angle to Black Panthers nom is crazy. That said it was still an amazing movie and the only real knock it some bad CGI at parts. But honestly I cant go back and look at any movie I'd put in and take BP out.

Now all the other Noms it deserves without a doubt imo and I think it should win. Except the CGI Nom, while there is some great CGI in it and Wakanda looked amazing, there was also some bad CGI that cancels that out.

Score,original song,Costume design,Set design,sound mixing and editing. If it wins any of those I'm 100% fine with that and I feel like I deserves the first four.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Ok anyone who think there isnt a social angle to Black Panthers nom is crazy. That said it was still an amazing movie and the only real knock it some bad CGI at parts. But honestly I cant go back and look at any movie I'd put in and take BP out.

Now all the other Noms it deserves without a doubt imo and I think it should win. Except the CGI Nom, while there is some great CGI in it and Wakanda looked amazing, there was also some bad CGI that cancels that out.

Score,original song,Costume design,Set design,sound mixing and editing. If it wins any of those I'm 100% fine with that and I feel like I deserves the first four.
    There are tons of other Oscar bait movies that could go in there frankly.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    It’s not bigotry. That’s just a smokescreen to deflect criticism. For years we were told measurably higher quality films simply weren’t good enough to get an Oscar Nomination. Now the Oscars got criticized for their nominations s few years ago and a film I think very few would rank as even the best in its own line of comic films got the nom?

It’s a little transparent and it leaves a bad taste in the mouth of fans of better comic book movies that got snubbed.
    It’s the most critically acclaimed superhero movie ever.

And the highest grossing domestic. And sold the most DVDs domestic in 2018,

Critics and audiences loved the movie.
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-22-2019 at 02:40 PM.

It’s not bigotry. That’s just a smokescreen to deflect criticism. For years we were told measurably higher quality films simply weren’t good enough to get an Oscar Nomination. Now the Oscars got criticized for their nominations s few years ago and a film I think very few would rank as even the best in its own line of comic films got the nom?

It’s a little transparent and it leaves a bad taste in the mouth of fans of better comic book movies that got snubbed.
    "measurably higher"?

Let's see the yardstick then.

Rotten Tomatoes? Black Panther is the highest rated.
    Money made? Other than Avengers it's got that too?

"Measurably higher" seems more like your arbitrary bullshit.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    "measurably higher"?

Let's see the yardstick then.

Rotten Tomatoes? Black Panther is the highest rated.
    Money made? Other than Avengers it's got that too?

"Measurably higher" seems more like your arbitrary bullshit.
    Name one aspect of filmmaking it does better than The Dark Knight. Besides CGI

BANNED

Black Panther doesn't have better CGI

Compelling characters.
    An antagonist with a clear motivation.
    A comprehensible third act.
    Better costumes.
    Better set design.

Regardless, you made the claim. What is the "measurable" standard you alluded to? You're the one bitching on a forum because a movie got nominated.

For reasons.

So post your rubric.
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 01-22-2019 at 03:43 PM.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post

Do you know what words mean? Those are practical effects. You can literally watch how that entire scene was filmed on the DVD.
    Pull List:

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    It’s the most critically acclaimed superhero movie ever.

And the highest grossing domestic. And sold the most DVDs domestic in 2018,

Critics and audiences loved the movie.

I feel that it's domestic gross was inflated by an unnaturally long theatrical run since it was in theaters for an unheard of (in this decade)6 months. How much did it gross 6-8 weeks in? I think that's about the usual cutoff for a blockbuster and what it would have made if it was a normal run.

I thought it was mediocre at best but that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by DennisTheMenace; 01-22-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
    I feel that it's domestic gross was inflated by an unnaturally long theatrical run since it was in theaters for an unheard of (in this decade)6 months. How much did it gross 6 weeks in?

I thought it was mediocre at best but that's just my opinion.
    Real talk, though: it had an unnaturally long theatrical run because it was in demand in smaller markets, and in particular urban theaters.

Titanic also had unnaturally long theatrical runs for the same reason. ET was in theaters for over a year, and Star Wars: Episode 4 spent around 10 months consecutively in theaters.

There's even the anomaly: The Rocky Horror Picture Show is probably the king of theatrical runs, though it was never a blockbuster. Rather, it's great revenue for small theaters and cult fans, still in limited release; its theatrical run never stopped.

1.344 billion WW
    700 mil domestic
    A+ Cinemascore

97% RT score
    8.2/10 RT rating
    100% Top Critics RT score
    8.9/10 Top Critics RT Rating
    88 metacritic score

Oscar nominated
    MTV Award winner
    Teen Choice Award Winner
    Peoples Choice Award Winner
    BET Award Winner
    Satellite Award Winner
    Critics Choice Award Winner

I got time today . What the F*ck does Logan and Dark Knight deserving nomination have to do with Black Panther, That is the fault of Oscar voters, not Black Panther. Oh well this year voter pulls their heads out there ass voted for Superhero movie like they should of in past years. Does Black Panther win? No, the system is still set up against genre movies but wall is down and the next superhero film that is deserving will have a better chance. That said nothing you guys is going to take away what it already has done. Is Black Panther one of the best film of the year? Apparently the audience and critics thought so. Period

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    Compelling characters.
    An antagonist with a clear motivation.
    A comprehensible third act.

Regardless, you made the claim. What is the "measurable" standard you alluded to? You're the one bitching on a forum because a movie got nominated.

For reasons.

So post your rubric.
    Compelling characters? Yeah I’m waiting for the iconic character that viewed as one of the greatest character performances ever to show itself.

I don’t really know how much clearer you can define a pure anarchist who wants to cause chaos. I mean not only did the antagonist state it himself, you had multiple characters talking about how “he just wants to watch the world burn”.

Third act? Really a generic battle and a one on one fight that wasn’t particularly memorable was a great third act. I guess Bilbo Baggins playing Star Fox was more compelling than the boat scene and Harvey Dents fall.

Okay as far as measurable.....

1. Performances. There was no acting near the level of Ledger or Eckhart. Jordan was probably the best actor in the film and I wouldn’t even catagorize it as the best performance he had this year.

2. Directing. Yeah gonna give the nod to Nolan on this one. Sorry but there’s very little direction wise that sets Black Panthers actual visual story telling apart from a typical Marvel film. It was done about as well as you can, but still very formulaic.

3. Effects. Well let’s just say there wasn’t a single action scene better than TDK’s car chase scene. Probably not a better set piece scene than the bank robbery.

4. Cinematography.... yeah I really don’t see what’s even remotely notable about Black Panther on this front.

5. Influence. Well for about a decade everyone and there mother has been ripping off The Dark Knight and it’s arguably the most famous film of its decade, certainly that year.

I’d be hard pressed to find a real technical aspect of filmmaking that Black Panther outpaced The Dark Knight. Like I could see someone subjectively liking the story and the themes better. But as a film? No it’s not really that much of a contest.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post

That’s practical effects not CGI. But it does show how much better the effects in TDK were

Compelling characters? Yeah I’m waiting for the iconic character that viewed as one of the greatest character performances ever to show itself.

I don’t really know how much clearer you can define a pure anarchist who wants to cause chaos. I mean not only did the antagonist state it himself, you had multiple characters talking about how “he just wants to watch the world burn”.

Third act? Really a generic battle and a one on one fight that wasn’t particularly memorable was a great third act. I guess Bilbo Baggins playing Star Fox was more compelling than the boat scene and Harvey Dents fall.

Okay as far as measurable.....

1. Performances. There was no acting near the level of Ledger or Eckhart. Jordan was probably the best actor in the film and I wouldn’t even catagorize it as the best performance he had this year.

2. Directing. Yeah gonna give the nod to Nolan on this one. Sorry but there’s very little direction wise that sets Black Panthers actual visual story telling apart from a typical Marvel film. It was done about as well as you can, but still very formulaic.

3. Effects. Well let’s just say there wasn’t a single action scene better than TDK’s car chase scene. Probably not a better set piece scene than the bank robbery.

4. Cinematography.... yeah I really don’t see what’s even remotely notable about Black Panther on this front.

5. Influence. Well for about a decade everyone and there mother has been ripping off The Dark Knight and it’s arguably the most famous film of its decade, certainly that year.

I’d be hard pressed to find a real technical aspect of filmmaking that Black Panther outpaced The Dark Knight. Like I could see someone subjectively liking the story and the themes better. But as a film? No it’s not really that much of a contest.
    And yet, it's nominated.

Weird. It's like one of us can point to an actual objective standard (an academy award nomination), and the other one of us is full of ****.

Want me to explain what a rubric is? I'm still waiting for you to show me this measurable standard is.

Or you could not toss around words like "measurable" when you really mean to say is, "I thought TDK was better."

In which case the word you are looking for is "subjective" or "opinion".
    Last edited by KOSLOX; 01-22-2019 at 04:10 PM.
    Pull List: