Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Dark Knight had a terrible coda tacked on to a great movie. Other than that, it deserved to be nominated. It had great performances (one inspired), great set pieces, great dialog, great direction, etc.

Logan ... had clunky dialog, no set-pieces of note, an unbelievable relationship, among other issues. That being said, it deserved some nominations for those 3 performances. But not as a whole film. I really don't think Logan even is in the top 10 CBM films of all time. Those performances saved it.

Wonder Woman ... same deal as Logan for the most part. It had amazing set-pieces but that was it. The supporting cast saved most of the movie. It deserved technical nominations but not best picture.

Black Panther had some PIS (why shoot an energy based suit with ... energy), a wasted subplot (see Dark Knight), and bad animal CGI. That being said, it deserved to be nominated. It had good performances, amazing set pieces, good dialog, great direction, etc.

Without Dark Knight paving the way for serious, well done supers ... Black Panther wouldn't have been able to be the zeitgeist it was.

You can totally say Dark Knight was good, deserved to be nominated, AND say Black Panther was good, deserved to be nominated. It does not have to be an either/or. Dark Knight and Black Panther a great films, they are not perfect. They deserve to be nominated but IMHO don't deserve to win.

All I hope is that Black Panther opens the eyes of people to Sci-fi and other genre fair as being great sources for film.
    Agreed.

It’s not a zero sum game. Just because the Dark Knight wasn’t nominated doesn’t mean that other movies shouldn’t get the nomination.

Besides, the movie came out 10 years, what’s the Academy to do, retroactively give it an award?

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    No, it isn't. Praise was being heaped on Black Panther even before anyone got to see it. Cultural impact, everyone said. This nomination is about virtue signaling and that's all it is.
    That may account for critics and good press. But the movie didnt make that kinda money off virtue signaling. People went and saw it 4-5 times. It sold more Upon home release then any other movie last year. What you privately own does nothing for your perceived public image. On top of that its a movie that as awhole has alot to say and made a cultural impact like I've never seen before by a movie that isnt star wars. If Black Panther wasnt as great as it was it wouldnt have happened. People arent gonna get behind a shitty movie. BP was a perfect storm of alot of factor, social issues a part of it yes.

I will say the acting was amazing but I agree the only one who comes close to deserving a Nom for acting was Michale B Jordan and yea I wouldn't have voted for him. Coogler let the Visuals speak for themselves he didnt do any crazy camera work it's not his thing, so I wouldnt nominate him either. Now I wouldnt be mad at a Screen play Nom though. The Themes of this movie are strong. The Ancestral plane scenes and how Tchallas contrast with Killmongers is amazing. The whole idea of African Americans being Cut off from they're heritage worked really well. If there was an Award for best actor in 3mins of a movie I'd be cool with Sterling K Brown getting it lol. Dudes becoming one of my favorite actors, hes a step above everyone else on This is us.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 01-23-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Agreed.

It’s not a zero sum game. Just because the Dark Knight wasn’t nominated doesn’t mean that other movies shouldn’t get the nomination.

Besides, the movie came out 10 years, what’s the Academy to do, retroactively give it an award?
    The Dark Knight would have got nominated today 100%. Black Panther would not have even got the Oscar buzz TDK got back in 08. People would not even view it as a snub.

Black Panther is getting in because of a combination of 3 things.

1. As a result of TDK, they extended best picture.
    2. Ratings for the Oscars are trash and they were so desperate they considered a popular movie category.
    3. The Oscars got heavy backlash a few years ago for not having enough diversity.

Because they had the extra space they gave the spot to a one of this years most popular films that had a mostly African American to have more diversity. Basically it checked off boxes and they had the extra space so why not. There were better films that could have took the space but this was probably one of the last spots and it had no chance of winning so it made some sense.

first of all, it's a popularity contest not a sporting match or a class with a letter grade.

second, let's get that checklist nailed down of what qualities a film, director, actor, screenplay, designer or composer needs to have before they qualify as "oscar-worthy."

Let me give a little hint about how the academy works.

it's just a bunch of unrelated people who get screener copies of the movies, and ballots.

there's no conference. no cabal. no smokey back rooms where things are decided. and, as the votes are anonymous, no possibility of "virtue signaling."

so, let's drop that, shall we?

NO movie or artist "deserves" or doesn't "deserve" an Oscar or a nomination.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Agreed.

Logan came out last year even snagging best screen play nomination. the one category that usually points to the best picture winner. meaning logan on merit was worthy of best picture. Black panther's failure not to get nominated in writing, acting or directing alone proves Logan was on another level of film making greatness. that is the main criteria for Oscars

Into the spiderverse came out this same year as black panther.

They should not retroactively give TDK an award but they should not give black panther too.

TDK is 10 years and we can still rewatch it meaning there is a constant reminder that black panther is just so undeserveding. does this strike good memories? sure does.

we can relive this everyday and start to cringe about cgi bad rhinos getting best picture when all what tdk did was get one acting nomination not even screenplay then the big one that is best picture.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    The nomination has nothing to do with race and it's nonsense to suggest so. It was nominated because Disney has almost unprecedented influence, and nothing more.

Also, let's not lose sight of the notion that most of the nominations were deserved.
    I think most people would admit that ever since the Oscars got massive backlash for not having enough non white people a few years ago led to a push to add more diversity. Also I think based off the ratings tanking the last few years, and the fact that they tried to add a popular movie category, is a pretty good indicator that there is an effort to add more box office hits.

Both points are pretty well accepted by most industry insiders. So it’s not really surprising that a box office hit with a diverse cast got a nomination this year. I think it’s very naive to say neither of those factors played a role.

Also based off the type of films that traditionally get nominations... I think your statement that all nominations were deserved is a very disputable.

If you were unaware of these things, I’d say you probably haven’t been keeping up on the Award season politics and industry trends the last few years

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    first of all, it's a popularity contest not a sporting match or a class with a letter grade.

second, let's get that checklist nailed down of what qualities a film, director, actor, screenplay, designer or composer needs to have before they qualify as "oscar-worthy."

Let me give a little hint about how the academy works.

it's just a bunch of unrelated people who get screener copies of the movies, and ballots.

there's no conference. no cabal. no smokey back rooms where things are decided. and, as the votes are anonymous, no possibility of "virtue signaling."

so, let's drop that, shall we?

NO movie or artist "deserves" or doesn't "deserve" an Oscar or a nomination.
    I think you can pretty easily look at Oscar nominated films and find a general trend of what is valued by the voters. Hint a simplistic 3 act Super hero film with a few action beats and some big set pieces isn’t really in the mold.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I think most people would admit that ever since the Oscars got massive backlash for not having enough non white people a few years ago led to a push to add more diversity. Also I think based off the ratings tanking the last few years, and the fact that they tried to add a popular movie category, is a pretty good indicator that there is an effort to add more box office hits.

Both points are pretty well accepted by most industry insiders. So it’s not really surprising that a box office hit with a diverse cast got a nomination this year. I think it’s very naive to say neither of those factors played a role.

Also based off the type of films that traditionally get nominations... I think your statement that all nominations were deserved is a very disputable.

If you were unaware of these things, I’d say you probably haven’t been keeping up on the Award season politics and industry trends the last few years
    Until the Weinsteins started getting involved with Oscar campaigning with Miramax most best picture noms were popular movies and that's when most liked the Oscars. So adding not only good but popular films isn't only good for the Oscars it's getting back to its roots.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Until the Weinsteins started getting involved with Oscar campaigning with Miramax most best picture noms were popular movies and that's when most liked the Oscars. So adding not only good but popular films isn't only good for the Oscars it's getting back to its roots.
    oscars getting back to their roots? you mean awarding movies on merit? even the popular ones? mission impossible fallout is a popular movie and crushes black panther in film making.

looks like the media is on damage control over the black panther oscar stuff. cringe.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/246...s-infinity-war

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    oscars getting back to their roots? you mean awarding movies on merit? even the popular ones? mission impossible fallout is a popular movie and crushes black panther in film making.

looks like the media is on damage control over the black panther oscar stuff. cringe.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/246...s-infinity-war
    The academy always awarded movies that appealed to their personal tastes. It never had anything to do with merit. Unless you think trash movies like Crash that won the award was the best movie of it's year.

Merit kind of is the issue though. Black Panther fails on several merits to reach the top echelon so seeing it sitting with other, better movies is causing the backlash and letting people think of conspiracies.

BANNED

Let’s face it, 2018 was fairly thin year for movies.
    The best movie imo was Crazy Rich Asians, which got no major nominations.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Merit kind of is the issue though. Black Panther fails on several merits to reach the top echelon so seeing it sitting with other, better movies is causing the backlash and letting people think of conspiracies.
    That and several of the posters complaining here have a history of complaining about SWJ, PCism, and Black People in general.

For their complaints having "nothing to do with race" they seem to be pretty focused on race.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I think you can pretty easily look at Oscar nominated films and find a general trend of what is valued by the voters. Hint a simplistic 3 act Super hero film with a few action beats and some big set pieces isn’t really in the mold.
    you have no idea what you're talking about.

which is fine but just say it's how you feel and not try to dress out up in fake objectivity.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I’d agree with that. But in recent years it is exceptionally rare for a film where the Academy didn’t think enough of either the performances to nominate it for any of the acting categories, the directing to nominate it for best director, or the screenplay to give it a nom in one of the two screenplay categories, to then be nominated for best director. Those are traditionally some of the most predicative categories for the award .