Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Titanic won and Black Panther's got better characters than that yeah 21 years later and I still think LA Confidential was robbed.
    Titanic was a better made film with better performances from Winslet, DiCaprio and Zane. It also had a far more streamlined story with about million times the cinematography.

I agree LA Confidential was superior. But I 100% get why Titanic did what it did.

Black Panther wasn’t even the best Marvel film ever.

I really liked Black Panther. Would I put it in my best picture noms...? Maybe. Though there are movies I didn't see that might push it out. I'm not too upset about the whole thing. My favorite movie of last year (Sorry to Bother You) never had a chance to make it in and my second favorite (The Favourite) movie did get nominated, though I doubt it's going to win. There's a chance there's a giant split and it ends up winning, which I guess is possible as this appears to be a relatively divisive year.

I'd also be happy for Roma to win as I think foreign films don't really get the respect that they deserve. Pan's Labyrinth wasn't even nominated.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Titanic was a better made film with better performances from Winslet, DiCaprio and Zane. It also had a far more streamlined story with about million times the cinematography.

I agree LA Confidential was superior. But I 100% get why Titanic did what it did.

Black Panther wasn’t even the best Marvel film ever.
    OTOH Return of the King wasn't the best LoTR movie ever but it won.

But probably because out of respect for the culmination of a trilogy's worth of effort.

So, I say we start an Oscar campaign for Avengers: Endgame, since it's the culmination of 12+ years of consecutive work on what's really a single storyline.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Titanic won and Black Panther's got better characters than that yeah 21 years later and I still think LA Confidential was robbed.
    Oh, I agree. I saw Titanic and I thought it was overrated. I got tired of lines like "Jack!!" "Rose!!"

Think the film has officially reached overrated status if its actually up for best picture of the year. Granted, this isn't that big a deal. Films have been nominated before that didn't really deserve it. Films have won before that haven't really deserved it.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-22-2019 at 12:29 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Oh, I agree. I saw Titanic and I thought it was overrated. I got tired of lines like "Jack!!" "Rose!!"
    Quoted for truth

Super jazzed that a superhero movie got nominated.

Super bummed about the response on a comic book forum.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

Black Panther is a token nomination, the oscars is trying to fool people into believing that they are a diverse organization by nominating a popular movie about black people, they did the same thing last year with the movie Get Out.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders View Post
    Black Panther is a token nomination, the oscars is trying to fool people into believing that they are a diverse organization by nominating a popular movie about black people, they did the same thing last year with the movie Get Out.
    There were two black movies nominated and the front runner is a foreign language movie with minority actresses.

This is as a result of the widening of the Oscar voting pool. And it's a good thing.

It's completely insane that Spike Lee is getting his first ever best director nomination.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Super jazzed that a superhero movie got nominated.

Super bummed about the response on a comic book forum.
    I'm not entirely surprised though.

The last few years has really exposed the bigotry and misogyny in the fandom. Between gamergate, comicsgste and the on-going Star Wars controversy, its become par for the course. Now, I'm not saying that everyone who says BP didn't deserve the nom is racist, just that a lot of the wailing online is driven by an atmosphere of bias that's clouded some people's reasoning.

I mean, lots of very ordinary white led movies get tons of nominations and no complaints but when movies led by minorities get awards and nominations it's always because of their race and not because of their ability or the films quality.

Why aren't people crying about Vice? A very ordinary movie that's one of the front runners? Oh wait...
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-22-2019 at 02:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    the front runner is a foreign language movie with minority actresses.
    This is probably going to be the death knell for Roma. It's also nominated for Best Foreign Film, and if the voters go for that, they likely won't vote for it for Best Picture since they feel giving it the Best Foreign Film award would be enough (indeed, that it's the front runner could mean that voters are more likely to sway it away from Best Picture).

The Oscars need a new system.

Extraordinary Member

I'm not entirely surprised though.

The last few years has really exposed the bigotry and misogyny in the fandom. Between gamergate, comicsgste and the on-going Star Wars controversy, its become par for the course. Now, I'm not saying that everyone who says BP didn't deserve the nom is racist, just that a lot of the wailing online is driven by an atmosphere of bias that's clouded some people's reasoning.

I mean, lots of very ordinary white led movies get tons of nominations and no complaints but when movies led by minorities get awards and nominations it's always because of their race and not because of their ability or the films quality.

Why aren't people crying about Vice? A very ordinary movie that's one of the front runners? Oh wait...
    It’s not bigotry. That’s just a smokescreen to deflect criticism. For years we were told measurably higher quality films simply weren’t good enough to get an Oscar Nomination. Now the Oscars got criticized for their nominations s few years ago and a film I think very few would rank as even the best in its own line of comic films got the nom?

It’s a little transparent and it leaves a bad taste in the mouth of fans of better comic book movies that got snubbed.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    OTOH Return of the King wasn't the best LoTR movie ever but it won.

But probably because out of respect for the culmination of a trilogy's worth of effort.

So, I say we start an Oscar campaign for Avengers: Endgame, since it's the culmination of 12+ years of consecutive work on what's really a single storyline.

Return of the King in its scale was one of the biggest achievements in filmmaking if its era. I also would probably say it was the overall best one

No ones talking about Vice because its obviously Oscar bait. Its a movie heavily focused on one dudes acting skill, his physical transformation and its about a figure that everyone hates which was released around Christmas and barely made any money.

BANNED

There were two black movies nominated and the front runner is a foreign language movie with minority actresses.

This is as a result of the widening of the Oscar voting pool. And it's a good thing.

It's completely insane that Spike Lee is getting his first ever best director nomination.

When it concerns black movies, black people and people of colour wants Oscars on merit and not tokenism. This video is quoted for truth. this is a black man who says it as it is.

a comic movie first for best picture , instead of rejoicing, everyone is cringing because it is very undeserved.how much did Disney really pay?

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Return of the King in its scale was one of the biggest achievements in filmmaking if its era. I also would probably say it was the overall best one
    Quoted for truth. watching the Oscars in 2005, the winners for best visual effects joked they were glad there was no LOTR film that year. Is anyone going to feel that same about black panther?
    Last edited by Jeramas; 01-22-2019 at 02:26 PM.