Page 7 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Daoud View Post
    Shadey, the wailing and rending of clothe has gone from sad to funny!

Black Panther was the best film I saw this year and I am happy (to the extent that I care about the Oscars) for its nominations!

As an aside, The Dark Knight was trash. The first Nolan Batman movie was the better than the Joker one, which was so stupid and boring I didn't even wish to see the third product.

None were better than Ryan Coogler's Black Panther.

The reviews testify to Black Panther's superior craft, the revenue even adjusted for inflation, show its superior popularity.

Username, I dare say the majority of comic fandom are retarded. Stan Lee remarked on the changes he had to make to the Fantastic Four after their initial release in the 60's due to the hidebound nature of the comic's buyers.

The anger directed toward "Black Panther" since its promotion has been a pathetic strain of "stop liking what I don't like!" with the added dose of "I'm not racist but,.... Black Panther is only at succeeding because it's black!" Apparently oblivious to fact that people could say the same thing about all of the white films made! They are so mired in there own culture that they don't see that other people might find it strange or straight up don't like it!

Anyway, congratulations to the cast and crew of "Black Panther"! You've made an excellent film that will be talked about and studied long after the majority of the current crop of movies are forgotten!

Excelsior!

Daoud
    No offense but how many movies did you see in 2018? I mean it's your opinion and you can have it but man I don't think it was really close to being the best CBM of the past few years it was good but not great allso why do you have to call TDK trash can't you just say you didn't like it? Seems like your kind trying to turn it into a marvel vs DC thing.....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    No offense but how many movies did you see in 2018? I mean it's your opinion and you can have it but man I don't think it was really close to being the best CBM of the past few years it was good but not great allso why do you have to call TDK trash can't you just say you didn't like it? Seems like your kind trying to turn it into a marvel vs DC thing.....
    its turned into a marvel vs dc thing because wonder woman was snubbed. that was our own SJW movie. TDK was our movie on merit.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    No offense, but the last time people asked you about the 2018 movies you saw, you refused to answer repeatedly, and so nobody could gauge just what you were talking about despite people sincerely asking you for your thoughts (because this is a message board!). And you refused to answer *after* criticizing another poster's tastes in movies.

I mean, agree or disagree with the poster all you want, but I really doubt you should be calling anyone out to explain themselves if you can't offer the same courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    No offense, but the last time people asked you about the 2018 movies you saw, you refused to answer repeatedly, and so nobody could gauge just what you were talking about despite people sincerely asking you for your thoughts (because this is a message board!). And you refused to answer *after* criticizing another poster's tastes in movies.

I mean, agree or disagree with the poster all you want, but I really doubt you should be calling anyone out to explain themselves if you can't offer the same courtesy.
    I didn't refuse to answer I just haven't answered yet sorry haven't had the time to put together a list to many to choose from allso I didn't criticize him I think he's picks were odd thats it I like the guy why would I down him? it's relly not a big deal I'm not sure why your making it a thing So ya no offense but I can post or not post whatever I want(because this is a message board!) I don't have to answer a thing to you or anyone if you don't like it to bad your not a mod feel free to report me tho if it continues to bother you and we can see how that works out for you.
    Last edited by choptop; 01-23-2019 at 03:09 AM.

Astonishing Member

Cool that Black Panther got nominated for a Oscar.
    For some reason super heroes movies have so far not been seen the same way as any other movie from another genre.Something that i think is unfair.All movies except movies inspired in actual events are fiction,so why should a super hero movie that is great not be awarded with Oscars as are Comedies,Action,Drama movies.
    I think a movie should be awarded with Oscars acording to the quality of the same movie and not because of the genre of the movie.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    All true once you remove the black cast.

Also Mission Impossible fallout is the best film of the year. Not one single nomination.

All the argument gets lost when race is brought up. people looked past race for black panther and wanted the movie to be judge on merit. the best tactics to protect black panther undeserved nomination is to keep making it about race. Now we are all called racist for saying the truth that black panther was undeserving when there have been better superhero movies.

Into the spiderverse is having a better positive reactions for animated feature, because it was deserved. Into the spidverse stars mile Morales. why isn't race a factor.
    I'm not saying that everyone that disagrees with the BP Best Picture nom is racist, just that some of their arguments are becoming convoluted.

Some of the people saying we shouldn't look at race are the same people saying that it was nominated only because of the race of its cast.

Like...which is it?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Cool that Black Panther got nominated for a Oscar.
    For some reason super heroes movies have so far not been seen the same way as any other movie from another genre.Something that i think is unfair.All movies except movies inspired in actual events are fiction,so why should a super hero movie that is great not be awarded with Oscars as are Comedies,Action,Drama movies.
    I think a movie should be awarded with Oscars acording to the quality of the same movie and not because of the genre of the movie.
    Exactly.

We are "nerds" should be celebrating that a superhero movie dominated the discussion last year and has finally broken through the barrier.

Now, superhero movies are finally being taken seriously.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly.

We are "nerds" should be celebrating that a superhero movie dominated the discussion last year and has finally broken through the barrier.

Sometime ago i was talking with a friend (That is not a comic book reader) about movies,and i asked him if he was going to watch a super hero movie that was in the Cinema (I think it was Avengers) and he just dismissed the movie because it was a super hero movie,i even said to him that just as Super heroes movies all movies (except the historical movies) are fiction.I think that this is a opinion that Oscar´s critics have as well,because that would explain the lack of recognition of the quality of the super heroes movies.

Astonishing Member

Great for BP. It made a mockery of the box office. Not the best CBM IMO but a lot of times the best movies are not nominated anyway. I prefer BP over WW. WW was a little too boring after the second viewing. Prefer other DCEU movies.
    Last edited by Colossus1980; 01-23-2019 at 12:35 AM.

I think the problem here frankly is two fold.

1. We KNOW Hollywood and the Oscars have a race problem. Their incredibly desperate to avoid another 'Oscar so white' situation. Couple this with the long standing feeling/knowledge that its mostly rigged and it leads to people assuming this is merely a token effort to avoid another situation and appear modern and diverse.

2. Best picture implies that the whole thing comes together on its A-Game. Nothing is out of place, everything is perfect and measurably better then its peers. That....doesnt really happen with Black Panther. As a white british guy I loved it, the afrofuturism, the dynastic conflict, the racial message. It still has alot of flaws though and suffers from Infinity War outshining it. That alone causes alot of people to go "Wait, what ?" especially when people take other notable Comic movies into account or other Oscar bait movies. Then theres the whole "Disney tries to get a popular movie option added to the Oscars" thing which alot of people saw as a way to avoid the current issue and still get an Oscar which has muddied the waters even more.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Great for BP. It made a mockery of the box office. Not the best CBM IMO but a lot of times the best movies are not nominated anyway. I prefer BP over WW. WW was a little too boring after the second viewing. Prefer other DCEU movies.
    This is not a argument on you just to be clear but why are some people framing this topic like this these are the last couple year winners of best picture award

Slumdog Millionaire
    The Hurt Locker
    The King's Speech
    The Artist
    Argo
    12 years a Slave
    Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
    Spotlight
    Moonlight
    Shape of Water

I listed this movies to make a point not one of these movies is winning the argument of greatest of movie of all time. Why are people making this about other movies in other years? When is it requirement that movie in genre had to be greatest of all time movie in its genre to be nominated as one of the best movie of that year. Let us be clear Dark knight was not winning in 2008 against The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Frost Nixon ,The Reader,and Milk. But Dark Knight deserved to be recognized as one of best films/pictures of the year. Logan even with extended amount movies allowed now was not nominated certainly not winning over Lady Bird, Get Out ,The Post, and Call Me by Your Name and Shape of water. I would argue it deserved to be recognized but it was in really good year for films.

People are pretend that fans are running calling Black Panther the greatest comic movie of all time. No being nominated just means you are among the best movies of the year with A Star is born ,Bohemian Rhapsody and BlacKkKlansman being some of the other films in nominated I am perfect fine with selection of BP. The Dark Knight deserve to be recognized and they literally changed the rule to allow more films in 2008 they were 5 films up and 2009 there 9 films up for Best picture. What makes a good film is somewhat subjective while you want a film win the real prize is being recognized as one the best films because let say Schindler's List, The Godfather Part II, Casablanca, Gone with the Wind or One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest which is the best film?

People are taking their frustrations over movies not being nominated out on Black Panther instead of the system which keeps genre movies from being recognized as "real movies". Black Panther is being nominated is a win for the industry. It is not a pissing contest The Dark Knight and Logan opened the way for Black Panther. If TDK or Logan had been nominated would you care that Black Panther was nominated this year? The answer is no it would feel like a regular part of the process. This isn't about all the superheroes movies ever created this about One year . People who think Black Panther isn't the best comic movie or the best marvel movie that is fine you are not racist and it is fair thought process to have but if you don't think Black Panther was arguably one of best movies for time period qualifying to be oscar nomination I don't what to say.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-23-2019 at 02:49 AM.

I'm not entirely surprised though. The last few years has really exposed the bigotry and misogyny in the fandom.
    It's not bigotry. It's calling it like it is. Everybody knows why Black Panther got nominated, but not everyone has the balls to say so out loud.

BANNED

And as a consequence, nobody can take the Oscars seriously

Capeshit is still capeshit.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    And as a consequence, nobody can take the Oscars seriously

Capeshit is still capeshit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    It's not bigotry. It's calling it like it is. Everybody knows why Black Panther got nominated, but not everyone has the balls to say so out loud.
    Oh, people are saying it very loud. IGN and Reddit have fallen into full on racism and several posts there have been deleted on their message boards.

The thing is, BP was the best reviewed movie of the year. No superhero movie got the critical acclaim it did hence Disney's campaign for it and it's nomination.

Its not even just the Oscars, the movie appeared on several end of year lists, Golden Globes nominations, American Film Institute, Hollywood film awards, People's Choice awards, Screen Actors Guild awards, Saturn Awards and the list just goes on. Honestly, a lot of the uproar online just shows that a whole lot of people don't pay attention to the awards, they are just triggered that a movie they don't like got this attention.

Suggesting the movie got all this acclaim, plus the mammoth box office, plus the huge DVD sales, plus the awards just because of a black cast is a complete and total fantasy. Like, it doesn't make any sense. There's literally no movie that gets this sort of acclaim that does NOT get Oscar recognition.

Now, it might not everyone's cup of tea but the Oscars have rewarded movies that receive this sort of acclaim. A more reasonable argument would be that Disney pushed hard for the movie but every studio does that for their movies (WB did the same with Wonder Woman) but it doesn't always work out.

For me, I'm happy the Oscars are finally recognizing more diverse work be it superhero movies or minority led movies. For too long, it's been very average Victorian dramas and heavy handed biopics dominating the awards season, with BP opening the window, WB and Sony (Fox is a part of Disney now) can realistically push their superhero movies for awards (Sony has already crossed over with Into the Spider-Verse).
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-23-2019 at 03:49 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    This is not a argument on you just to be clear but why are some people framing this topic like this these are the last couple year winners of best picture award

Slumdog Millionaire
    The Hurt Locker
    The King's Speech
    The Artist
    Argo
    12 years a Slave
    Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
    Spotlight
    Moonlight
    Shape of Water

I listed this movies to make a point not one of these movies is winning the argument of greatest of movie of all time. Why are people making this about other movies in other years? When is it requirement that movie in genre had to be greatest of all time movie in its genre to be nominated as one of the best movie of that year. Let us be clear Dark knight was not winning in 2008 against The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Frost Nixon ,The Reader,and Milk. But Dark Knight deserved to be recognized as one of best films/pictures of the year. Logan even with extended amount movies allowed now was not nominated certainly not winning over Lady Bird, Get Out ,The Post, and Call Me by Your Name and Shape of water. I would argue it deserved to be recognized but it was in really good year for films.

People are pretend that fans are running calling Black Panther the greatest comic movie of all time. No being nominated just means you are among the best movies of the year with A Star is born ,Bohemian Rhapsody and BlacKkKlansman being some of the other films in nominated I am perfect fine with selection of BP. The Dark Knight deserve to be recognized and they literally changed the rule to allow more films in 2008 they were 5 films up and 2009 there 9 films up for Best picture. What makes a good film is somewhat subjective while you want a film win the real prize is being recognized as one the best films because let say Schindler's List, The Godfather Part II, Casablanca, Gone with the Wind or One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest which is the best film?

People are taking their frustrations over movies not being nominated out on Black Panther instead of the system which keeps genre movies from being recognized as "real movies". Black Panther is being nominated is a win for the industry. It is not a pissing contest The Dark Knight and Logan opened the way for Black Panther. If TDK or Logan had been nominated would you care that Black Panther was nominated this year? The answer is no it would feel like a regular part of the process. This isn't about all the superheroes movies ever created this about One year . People who think Black Panther isn't the best comic movie or the best marvel movie that is fine you are not racist and it is fair thought process to have but if you don't think Black Panther was arguably one of best movies for time period qualifying to be oscar nomination I don't what to say.
    Quoted for truth.

It's not a zero sum game, BP being nominated does not mean that other superhero movies will be snubbed. Besides, BP is legit better than most of the films being discussed this awards season. I mean, Shape of Water (a movie about a mute woman falling in love and screwing a fish man) got best picture last year....

And I honestly don't have time for people complaining about the Dark Knight or Logan not being nominated, that's like complaining that Straight Outta Compton was snubbed because Bohemian Rhapsody was nominated (mind you SOC was a far better movie).