Page 8 of 29 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bl00dwerK View Post
    It's not bigotry. It's calling it like it is. Everybody knows why Black Panther got nominated, but not everyone has the balls to say so out loud.
    I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I'm not saying that everyone that disagrees with the BP Best Picture nom is racist, just that some of their arguments are becoming convoluted.

Some of the people saying we shouldn't look at race are the same people saying that it was nominated only because of the race of its cast.

Like...which is it?
    We shouldn't look at race. the Oscars chose to look at race and nominated a very undeserving poorly done film out of fear they will be called racist. Everyone that disagrees with the black panther's nomination disagrees as it is not best picture material, care more about that honest opinions that is more credible instead of choosing to care about racist trolls opinions that comes from a place of hate.

Superhero movies will never be taken seriously, the only reason it is supposedly taken seriously is because of race not because of art, which is a bigger insult to superhero movies and makes superhero movies less credible.

It would have matter more if Logan or TDK was nominated, then we can say comic superhero movies can be artistically taken seriously. those two movies would have earned a best picture nomination for art not for politics. the politics of black panther turns it to a joke circus.

The backlash is only going to build. even entertainment tonight, the number 1 rated entertainment news said the movie was undeserving.

There won't be a debate if Logan or TDK was nominated. Hollywood is cringing right now but none will say the obvious because they will be called racist and their careers will end. As I asked, why is no one going after into the spidervese even the racists? that is a black movie too, a black family, many black subtext. people cant really go after anything they know somebody earned and was not paid for the way disney paid for the nomination for black panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    And as a consequence, nobody can take the Oscars seriously

Capeshit is still capeshit.
    quoted for truth.
    How can people be arguing this makes people take comic movies seriously when we all know the nomination is a sham?.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    I do.

We shouldn't look at race. the Oscars chose to look at race and nominated a very undeserving poorly done film out of fear they will be called racist. Everyone that disagrees with the black panther's nomination disagrees as it is not best picture material, care more about that honest opinions that is more credible instead of choosing to care about racist trolls opinions that comes from a place of hate.

Superhero movies will never be taken seriously, the only reason it is supposedly taken seriously is because of race not because of art, which is a bigger insult to superhero movies and makes superhero movies less credible.

It would have matter more if Logan or TDK was nominated, then we can say comic superhero movies can be artistically taken seriously. those two movies would have earned a best picture nomination for art not for politics. the politics of black panther turns it to a joke circus.

The backlash is only going to build. even entertainment tonight, the number 1 rated entertainment news said the movie was undeserving.

There won't be a debate if Logan or TDK was nominated. Hollywood is cringing right now but none will say the obvious because they will be called racist and their careers will end. As I asked, why is no one going after into the spidervese even the racists? that is a black movie too, a black family, many black subtext. people cant really go after anything they know somebody earned and was not paid for the way disney paid for the nomination for black panther.
    All you're talking about is race. There's no discussion to be had if you can't look beyond the race of the film makers and discuss the merits and demerits of the film itself.

The ET guys didn't even come to a consensus and that guy with the beard was bringing up TDK....a more than 10 year old movie that didn't receive the accolades BP did.

People really think the brillant is master plan to nominate a movie to please Black People ,or make a political message, or social justice stance but the movie isn't going to win and every single person know it. So a clear "Token nomination" is brilliant master plan. Who came up with this plan Disney? Hey we are going to pay you guys to make our movie almost win so that SJW can feel good that once again a movie with minorities doesn't win. Is that the plan?

Do people think out these opinions? If people follow through with their opinions they will often find that they are kinda stupid. Only Disney has money? Sony,Universal,Fox and WB doesn't have money to throw around to get favor? You think Fox and Warner Brothers didn't campaign for their comic book movies to get nominated. You think WB wasn't trying to get Aquaman in VFX category. Only Disney use "money" but rest of the industry is clean?

Literally the Golden Globes didn't have Black Panther winning any awards no blood was spilt and nobody was call them racist. Keep trying .There is no conspiracy. Black Panther is just a good movie.

PS Black Panther was up for Best drama at Golden Globes as well

P.P.S Two white guys talking on ET Canada is proof that Hollywood is cringing lol
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-23-2019 at 05:37 AM.

There is no conspiracy that an average superhero movie with middling cgi and an all black cast is being nominated as the best picture of the year by a group often called racist and known for behind the scenes politicing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    All you're talking about is race. There's no discussion to be had if you can't look beyond the race of the film makers and discuss the merits and demerits of the film itself.

The ET guys didn't even come to a consensus and that guy with the beard was bringing up TDK....a more than 10 year old movie that didn't receive the accolades BP did.
    the merit of the film has been discussed. the merit shows it was an average mcu movie. the ET guy said the movie was basic. he said the villain was terrible. He said infinity war was better. It is not all that different from how people saw the movie. a basic average mcu movie. we have had plenty of basic average mcu movies. why were they not nominated. I am talking about race as black panther was nominated to avoid any accusation the Oscars are racists.if the oscars did not make it about race, I wont have to talk about it. I looked past race a long time ago.

Spy action movie fans, Mission impossible and Skyfall . do you think any of them will have respect for comic book movies after black panther's nomination when sky fall and mission impossible were not nominated? I remember Skyfall in 2012 , that was huge, not only was it a great movie, it was bond's 50th anniversary, a movie Daniel Craig really became bond, fantastic cinematography, fantastic plot, made over a billion dollars, at that time was the highest grossing UK movie, spy fans pushed hard for best picture , it was denied.

I know as a MCU fan you are trying really hard to make this a feel good thing and say it is good for superheroes movies, but it isnt. not when we have had better movies from Marvel, Fox, Sony and DC. am a dc fan and I said nothing when people were pushing for wonder woman to get best picture. I knew it was not best picture material. I knew if it got nominated it will be for girl power reasons and the me too movement. Maybe it is easier for me to admit that about wonder woman since I know DC had a movie that could do it on merit with the dark knight. mcu has no movies that can do it in merit.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    There is no conspiracy that an average superhero movie with middling cgi and an all black cast is being nominated as the best picture of the year by a group often called racist and known for behind the scenes politicing.
    I wonder why most people dont want to admit this. there is no conspiracy , what we have here is a sham.
    Last edited by Jeramas; 01-23-2019 at 05:40 AM.

BANNED

The nomination has nothing to do with race and it's nonsense to suggest so. It was nominated because Disney has almost unprecedented influence, and nothing more.

Also, let's not lose sight of the notion that most of the nominations were deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Who is called the movie average? It is winning awards, It has majority great critic reviews, It has good audiences rating,It had high repeat customer rate spent a long time in theater,Made a ton of money.Everything is pointing towards the movie being great. What is the metric to calling it average other than personal taste

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    The nomination has nothing to do with race and it's nonsense to suggest so. It was nominated because Disney has almost unprecedented influence, and nothing more.
    I already said that, in fact my first post was. how much did Disney pay for the award? nonetheless, the Disney influences and the aftermath of oscar so white were both factors. To see oprah telling the Oscars members to nominate the movie is cringe worthy. why didn't oprah do the same for other comic movies? what makes black panther different to oprah?

Also, let's not lose sight of the notion that most of the nominations were deserved.
    Just not best picture.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post

Quoted for truth.

The argument should be that Disney have immense power now, not..black cast, SJW e.t.c

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Who is called the movie average? It is winning awards, It has majority great critic reviews, It has good audiences rating,It had high repeat customer rate spent a long time in theater,Made a ton of money.Everything is pointing towards the movie being great. What is the metric to calling it average other than personal taste
    This is my last post here but this is what confounds me.

There's literally no major award where BP got snubbed and was on all the year end best of lists.

It was critically acclaimed and massively well received by the audience (People's Choice awards amongst others).

Not sure where the "it was average" talk is coming from. While it's fair that not everyone can love everything, trying to retroactively change the film's reception flies against all the evidence that we can see.
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-23-2019 at 06:04 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    the merit of the film has been discussed. the merit shows it was an average mcu movie. the ET guy said the movie was basic. he said the villain was terrible. He said infinity war was better. It is not all that different from how people saw the movie. a basic average mcu movie. we have had plenty of basic average mcu movies. why were they not nominated. I am talking about race as black panther was nominated to avoid any accusation the Oscars are racists.if the oscars did not make it about race, I wont have to talk about it. I looked past race a long time ago.

Spy action movie fans, Mission impossible and Skyfall . do you think any of them will have respect for comic book movies after black panther's nomination when sky fall and mission impossible were not nominated? I remember Skyfall in 2012 , that was huge, not only was it a great movie, it was bond's 50th anniversary, a movie Daniel Craig really became bond, fantastic cinematography, fantastic plot, made over a billion dollars, at that time was the highest grossing UK movie, spy fans pushed hard for best picture , it was denied.

I know as a MCU fan you are trying really hard to make this a feel good thing and say it is good for superheroes movies, but it isnt. not when we have had better movies from Marvel, Fox, Sony and DC. am a dc fan and I said nothing when people were pushing for wonder woman to get best picture. I knew it was not best picture material. I knew if it got nominated it will be for girl power reasons and the me too movement. Maybe it is easier for me to admit that about wonder woman since I know DC had a movie that could do it on merit with the dark knight. mcu has no movies that can do it in merit.

I wonder why most people dont want to admit this. there is no conspiracy , what we have here is a sham.
    Yes, I like most of what comes out from the MCU but I loved Wonder Woman and thought it was one of the best movies of that year. If it got an Oscar nomination for best picture, I wouldn't have had any problem with it. The film was loved by virtually everybody (except the very loud group of anti-politics, anti-woman, anti-minority, anti-everything contingent).

The thing is, Marvel/Disney has done what no one thought was possible and they deserve congratulations for that. BP was the best reviewed movie of the year and got acclaim from ALL the major movie awards committees, it was pretty much guaranteed to get a nomination at that point.

I guess we will just have to agree to disagree at this point.

Wow! Really.

I wished Dark Knight and Logan got nominated. In my opinion they were far superior movies then Black Panther. BP is not even my top 10 superhero film. But i really liked it.

I was never behind the idea that superhero films were snubbed. Imo they simply faced far superior competition. (Yes i said that. We are not the voters. That is the job of the Academy). I will feel a bit letdown that Dark Knight or Logan did not make it. But i would still be thrilled if BP wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The story is by the numbers, only two actors at best stand out, the cgi is middling, theres a damn MEME in the movie. This is supposed to be 'The Best of the Year' ?

I liked the movie, I really did. Its great it made tons of money and did some fresh and interesting things but to truly say its THE BEST MOVIE OF THE YEAR. No.

So many people have been bringing up BP's critical reception in this thread without talking about what those reviewers were actually praising, so I went on RT and read a bunch of reviews to see what they said. Full disclosure, I only read like 15 or so out of the hundreds that are there.

For the most part, not much is said about the technical or artistic accomplishments of the film, beyond that Jordan gave a stellar performance and the visuals were stunning. Most reviews focused on the cultural impact of the movie and the sociopolitical questions posed by the script. What most reviewers find fascinating about BP is how the story addresses themes of colonialism and isolationism, the long-reaching impact of said colonialism on modern black America, identity, and privilege. As one writer said, "Whether or not this is the best film Marvel Studios has made to date—and it is clearly in the discussion—it is by far the most thought-provoking."

I personally was not blown away by this aspect of the movie. The only big statement made was "colonialism is bad," which, while true, is not exactly what I'd call thought-provoking. I also don't think there's anything special about the cinematography or the script that make this movie anything more than a really solid, really satisfying and sometimes beautiful popcorn flick.

However, I don't think this nomination is unearned. It's surprising and maybe I don't fully agree with it but lbr, BP is a major cultural milestone. It's a turning point in film history. And unlike WW, it's well-made all around. It's "a film that matters for what it says as much as what it is." (source) And at the end of the day, Oscar noms are inconsistent at best. Do I think BP is as good as, say, Up in the Air? Not really. But it's definitely better than The Imitation Game (a movie I also enjoyed). And Imitation Game wasn't even a cultural milestone.

EDIT: Ruth Carter better win for Costume Design though. If it goes to any of the others in that cat, I will scream.
    Last edited by babybats; 01-23-2019 at 08:25 AM.