Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    I have nothing against PsyBlob but the “conventionally attractive woman falls for an unconventional man” story has been done a thousand times. Also, why not Northstar and Blob? This is an AU so literally why not.
    If we're being serious? Because AoXM features the actual 616 characters running around in X-Man's little hamsterball, as opposed this being to a full-on what-if or actual AU. For example, when Pak and Van Lente wanted to show Hercules a bi/pan in Pak's Incredible Herc run, they had to imply everything as opposed to telling or showing because, iirc, editorial wouldn't go for it. But Greg Pak could get away with Herc and Howlett have a full-on snog session on-page in his X-Treme X-Men run because they weren't the "real" Hercules and Wolverine.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 01-23-2019 at 11:35 AM.

So... In a world where all love is forbidden love, creators still have to cater to editorial to include queer characters.

Newsflash for the X-office: In a lot of cases for queer people, their love is forbidden love. Don't take that story and apply it to heteros ffs.

So... In a world where all love is forbidden love, creators still have to cater to editorial to include queer characters.
    Shockingly enough, the premise of this event did not change how Marvel treats its IP, no.

Newsflash for the X-office: In a lot of cases for queer people, their love is forbidden love. Don't take that story and apply it to heteros ffs.
    Psylocke is bi. And it looks like Williams is going to be doing something with Northstar and Iceman as well. Just because it's not on the cover of the first issue doesn't mean it's not a plot thread building through the series.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 01-23-2019 at 11:36 AM.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but in this case, let's wait until the X-Book is out before assuming it screws something up.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Shockingly enough, the premise of this event did not change how Marvel treats its IP, no.

Psylocke is bi. And it looks like Williams is going to be doing something with Northstar and Iceman as well. Just because it's not on the first cover of the first issue doesn't mean it's not a plot thread building through the series.
    Fair but I think this issue is bigger than Williams. The architects of this world are straight guys so the more I hear about "forbidden love" the more I get skeptical. Williams is great but when the cards are stacked against queer characters everywhere else, her book could have featured Psylocke and another woman, introduced a trans or non-binary character, given Iceman a love interest that isn't your typical gay archetype, etc. I'm obviously asking too much but when the books specifically make FORBIDDEN LOVE their main theme I can't help but smfh lol.

Spectacular Member DamianWayne1's Avatar

Uncanny X-Men #15-16 & X-23 #11 for me. I'll grab Mr. & Mrs. X in trade. Depending on reviews, same goes for Wolverine: Infinity Watch & the Age of X-Man stuff.

Fair but I think this issue is bigger than Williams. The architects of this world are straight guys so the more I hear about "forbidden love" the more I get skeptical. Williams is great but when the cards are stacked against queer characters everywhere else, her book could have featured Psylocke and another woman, introduced a trans or non-binary character, given Iceman a love interest that isn't your typical gay archetype, etc. I'm obviously asking too much but when the books specifically make FORBIDDEN LOVE their main theme I can't help but smfh lol.
    Given some of Williams' comments and the premise? I'm really not sure she could have had Betsy with another woman in this event. From the sound of things, she had to choose her roster from X-Men not otherwise spoken for, which means no Karma, no Mystique. Sounds like getting as many queer characters as she could in one book and do close POV writing is about the best she could do with the limitations of the set-up. (About the only other option I can think of is maybe having Betsy fall in love with one of the figment characters in this universe, which has a certain amount of appeal, but also that's got its own set of problems.)

I agree with you on the point that a lot more could have been done with this premise, but, yeah, that's not on Williams. She seems, in fact, to be the only writer of the pack aware that the X-Books are falling on their face again wrt the mutant metaphor and trying to do anything at all to address it. (For example, Brisson doesn't seem to be, and he's got just even more queer characters at his disposal in the student book.) So it's a bit disheartening to see a queer writer getting guff here and Twitter and Tumblr for what are, at this point, assumptions on what she's doing, why, and how much freedom she had to enact any of it before the first issue even hits the stands.

BANNED

LW doesn't deserve the **** she's getting but at the same time she herself put the spotlight on it when she bragged about how many queer characters were in her lineup when the book was announced. She did the same thing with the Magik one-shot where she said this Magik was 100% lesbian and wasn't going to erase that identity but didn't have the pages required to acknowledge it on panel.

I was really excited when I heard Leah "All the X-men are gay!" Williams was getting more X-Books and I was hoping for something more explicit in the marketing. I'm probably judging too early but Psylocke's bisexuality constantly gets explained away and this comic doesn't seem to let Psylocke explore that much when she's being oppressed for loving the Blob lol

What a disaster...

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post

Psylocke is bi. And it looks like Williams is going to be doing something with Northstar and Iceman as well. Just because it's not on the cover of the first issue doesn't mean it's not a plot thread building through the series.
    Well not everyone shares that view and while the writer for those five issues might hold that view it doesn't mean that anything about it will make it into print...

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Major X, I just cannot get enthusiastic about the title. The support cast does not contain any of my favorites. So I guess I will pass that mini series.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Betsy falling for an ugly man seems plausible. If anyone could see the inner beauty it should be a telepath. That's the problem. Blob is not beautiful on the inside.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    Betsy falling for an ugly man seems plausible. If anyone could see the inner beauty it should be a telepath. That's the problem. Blob is not beautiful on the inside.
    God, it’s an alternate universe, from a comic book... can’t we stop whining and wait for the series to come?

We fight for inclusion but the internet breaks when we see an obese guy being handled as standard character...
    Last edited by crimsontt; 01-24-2019 at 05:36 AM.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crimsontt View Post
    God, it’s an alternate universe, from a comic book... can’t we stop whining and wait for the series to come?

We fight for inclusion but the internet breaks when we see an obese guy being handled as standard character...
    Though it's an AU, it includes our 616 cast, and according to writers, the event has lasting consequences once it finishes.

Also, far as inclusion, where's the love for obese women getting with a hot man? This is another tired trope of ugly, sloppy dude gets hot chick. Lol As stated in their thread, you never see the reverse.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 01-24-2019 at 06:41 AM.