Incredible Member Krypto's Fleas's Avatar

Default Put a stop on my comics box and am not reading DC for first time since I was 13

I am not doing it as any protest to the quality of the current DC Comics line. It's just for the first time since junior high, I can't find room in my life to get through my stack of books (I'm 35 now). During that time I've seen the highs and lows of various DC titles, so this move by me is not based on any opinion of the current books, just my current priorities. This makes me sad and I'm hoping this is temporary. I'm concerned that my time away will only make it harder to get back in it down the line. How have some of you dealt with taking time away from DC?

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

That is sad, but I think you can also look at it as a positive that you have a lot going on for yourself.

I stopped in college and law school (a mix of no time and not really feeling the New 52), but picked it up again when waiting to hear back from jobs (during Rebirth). Since then I've cut back a lot and may have to scale back even further as I focus on my relationship, work, and other hobbies more, specifically reading actual books again which I hadn't done for a while. But eventually after a break I catch up and then reevaluate what I want to read consistently going forward.

And there is always our community here where we talk about the comics and the characters!

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

I went through a similar phase at a point in my life, because of career and other time consuming issues. The good thing about comics is that if you get the time they are always around to read, and now with the internet you can still kinda stay in the loop if you want to be kept up on big things that happen in them.

You could just pick up the trades and read them at your own pace.

I drop currently released comics pretty regularly. Time, money, interest. Comics are usually the first to go when something comes up. I never stop reading comics though. I'll switch to trades, back issues, digital sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    You could just pick up the trades and read them at your own pace.
    This is what I do. I just have a huge collection of trades. I find collecting single issues unwieldy and expensive. I can also plan my comic reading time a bit better.
    Collects
    80's 90's Post Crisis Era
    Eaglemoss DC Graphic Novels Collection
    New 52 (discontinued)
    DC Rebirth
    DC Black Label

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I had a similar issue, but then I switched to digital and started selling my old comics to schools for kids to enjoy and hopefully inspire more new comics fans.

Now, I read issue to issue on my iPad, and collect the stories I absolutely loved in trades to put on my shelf.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto's Fleas View Post
    I am not doing it as any protest to the quality of the current DC Comics line. It's just for the first time since junior high, I can't find room in my life to get through my stack of books (I'm 35 now). During that time I've seen the highs and lows of various DC titles, so this move by me is not based on any opinion of the current books, just my current priorities. This makes me sad and I'm hoping this is temporary. I'm concerned that my time away will only make it harder to get back in it down the line. How have some of you dealt with taking time away from DC?
    You should really consider going digital, friend. Just wait for the deals, pick what you like, and have a good time. There's no hassle with stacks of books crowding your area, and if you want, you can just read your material on a flight, train ride, or on the toilet all on your mobile device. That's what I did, and now I'm dropping off my old comics at the library or shipping them soldiers overseas.