Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Retired

I could see them doing a live action adaptation of NEW FRONTIER set in the 1950s (on the verge of 1960). I'd like to see a Justice Society of America movie set in the 1940s--Gal Gadot could appear as Wonder Woman and they would be able to use new actors for the Flash and Green Lantern (Jay and Alan).

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I don't think complete fidelity to the source material is the answer to DC's movie woes.

Marvel makes changes all the time. Black Widow & Hawkeye weren't founding Avengers. Tony Stark didn't invent Ultron. Cap & Nick Fury weren't WW2 war buddies. Aunt May isn't hot. The important thing is that the Marvel movies stay true to the spirit of what Stan, Jack & Steve built.

In other words, the details don't really matter in the heart of the characters are there. Snyder didn't really nail that for anyone, but Jenkins and Wan did, despite also making big changes from the source material.
    I absolutely agree with you. I totally understand the desire to see our fav stories done on screen. I want that too. But i would rather have them 'adapted' to big screen. Catch the spirit while making entertaining films. That way DC will thrive bringing in new fans.

We will always have Paris...comics.

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

To be honest, origin stories are so dime a dozen nowadays, that I would prefer a JLA movie where the league is already established, no questions asked. It starts with an action scene with one or two heroes against a villain, before one or two more show up and help out. They reference they are late for a meeting with the rest of the league, who is then shown fighting a completely different battle. Shortly after they all meet at the watchtower and casually interact with each other before having a meeting that showcases their different personalities, relationships, and approaches. In a short amount of time, you establish a world in which superheroes simply exist and this is a group of familiar comrades. A lot can be done with only a few lines and scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    To be honest, origin stories are so dime a dozen nowadays, that I would prefer a JLA movie where the league is already established, no questions asked. It starts with an action scene with one or two heroes against a villain, before one or two more show up and help out. They reference they are late for a meeting with the rest of the league, who is then shown fighting a completely different battle. Shortly after they all meet at the watchtower and casually interact with each other before having a meeting that showcases their different personalities, relationships, and approaches. In a short amount of time, you establish a world in which superheroes simply exist and this is a group of familiar comrades. A lot can be done with only a few lines and scenes.
    100% agree with this. The most exciting part of JL was the last 3 minutes when we saw the prospect of an ALREADY FORMED League going up against Luthor's implied Injustice League. All the underwhelmed patrons at the theatre straightened up in their chairs with excitement in their eyes.

My reaction was YAY NOW WE'RE PAST THE OBLIGATORY ORIGIN!

I think the average moviegoer is tired of the origin angle. I love superheroes and I far more enjoy the sequels nowadays, because we don't waste half the movie getting the lead into costume.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, I'm not as big a stickler for "It must be like the comics!" as most here, if you add one extra founder that's okay by me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I don't think complete fidelity to the source material is the answer to DC's movie woes.

Marvel makes changes all the time. Black Widow & Hawkeye weren't founding Avengers. Tony Stark didn't invent Ultron. Cap & Nick Fury weren't WW2 war buddies. Aunt May isn't hot. The important thing is that the Marvel movies stay true to the spirit of what Stan, Jack & Steve built.

In other words, the details don't really matter in the heart of the characters are there. Snyder didn't really nail that for anyone, but Jenkins and Wan did, despite also making big changes from the source material.
    Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. I was talking about the comics, not the films. I have much less issue with major changes when translating between media.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.