Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Ultimate X-Men is weeeeeeeeeird

The first like 33 issues by Millar and Kubert and whatnot + Ultimate War? Pretty good to great, read 'em.

The next 12 by Bendis and uh, Finch? Petty good to great, read 'em. One issue in particular is super hot fire incredible.

Vaughn and Immonen's run? Pretty good to great, read 'em.

The Kirkman run? This is where things start getting sus as hell. It feels like it's going somewhere for a while, but then where it goes is just, bleh. Just weird, you can skip it.

Then there's a filler arc.

Here's where things get tricky.

Ultimatum happens, and as much as people talk about Ultimatum like it ate their dog, it was actually really good for the Ultimate X-Line by establishing a radical new status quo the main books couldn't do.

The Loeb/Arthur Adams stories are great, whatever that book was called. I believe it was Ultimate Comics: X.

Then the Spencer/Medina run starts, and it's awesome. It's like all these cool pieces are being laid out on a chessboard with a really ambitious plan.

Then, for whatever reason, Spencer leaves, and like Hickman with Ultimates, the book tanks. Wanna know why? Every single thing Spencer set up is ignored in Wood's run like it never happened, and you're getting a worse story about like, plants. And with worse scripts. The saving grace is Mach II, but she will never appear again and didn't live up to her potential in the book anyway. It's not an awful run. But like, damn it. Check it out if you want to watch a bunch of robots instead of people talking about plants and personal politics as the scale of the story shrinks from the whole world to two negligible camps.

No no no no but Ultimatum killed the Ultimate Universe and there was nothing Paniccia could've done guys : (((((((
    All of this but the bolded cracked me the eff up. And not even touching on how Rogue dated these plants.

BANNED

One of my favourite things about Wood's run was when a lot of people were claiming and theorizing that Mothervine was Ultimate Sage and after a while, Wood (who sometimes posted here) came out and said "No, that's not Surge. She has electricity powers and isn't in this universe".

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    One of my favourite things about Wood's run was when a lot of people were claiming and theorizing that Mothervine was Ultimate Sage and after a while, Wood (who sometimes posted here) came out and said "No, that's not Surge. She has electricity powers and isn't in this universe".
    Remind me, did Mothervine appear first in Wood’s run or Ultimate Comics Wolverine? Because that was probably the only thing worth a damn from Wood’s run onwards and even had a positive effect with 616 mutantkind in the end.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Didn't the Brotherhood find out Magneto was still alive cuz Beast's Tinder date was Blob?

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Didn't the Brotherhood find out Magneto was still alive cuz Beast's Tinder date was Blob?
    Yes! lol

So good! Though I think the gorilla mutant took over right at the end, to secure their location or something.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Millar's original run made mutants dangerous and cool again. The sense of paranoia and the fear that a sentinel could swoop down at any time and snatch you away was pretty slick entertainment that added a level of excitement the mainstream X-books lacked until Morrison reinvigorated them. (Ultimate Logan's stupid soul patch notwithstanding.) The real problem was that Millar was telling a distinctly sci-fi story clearly influenced by classics like Logan's run and the tomorrow people, but when he left, everyone dragged it into being another balmy superhero soap opera. Everything that made it distinct from 616 was taken away until it may as well have been another 616 sidebook.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Millar’s run is a must read for any X-Men fan imho. Bendis wrote one of the single best issues of any Ultimate story and the rest of his run is good as well. BKV was just solid stuff the whole time. Kirkman was weak compared to what came before but his run reads better in one sitting than it did month to month. Colete (sp?) was okay but if you get that far you might as well wrap it up. Post Ultimatum was okay as well. As others mentioned already Spencer starts some interesting stuff but it just gets dropped with no explanation. Wood’s run was really good but I felt he wrote a few people way out of character because it worked for his story. His story was very good but I was super invested in the UU and so it bugged me more than most I would assume. Overall I’d say read it all.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Honestly I think it's overall worth reading. Post-BKV with Kirkman, and a few other writers it gets kind of weird but never unreadable. The Ultimate Comics: X-Men runs of Spencer, and Wood are also fairly solid if you don't mind that Wood ignored a significant number of plot threads from Spencer's run.

Best X-Men book of the 2000s as far as I'm concerned.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Millar’s run is a must read for any X-Men fan imho. Bendis wrote one of the single best issues of any Ultimate story and the rest of his run is good as well. BKV was just solid stuff the whole time. Kirkman was weak compared to what came before but his run reads better in one sitting than it did month to month. Colete (sp?) was okay but if you get that far you might as well wrap it up. Post Ultimatum was okay as well. As others mentioned already Spencer starts some interesting stuff but it just gets dropped with no explanation. Wood’s run was really good but I felt he wrote a few people way out of character because it worked for his story. His story was very good but I was super invested in the UU and so it bugged me more than most I would assume. Overall I’d say read it all.
    Better then anything he did on Ultimate Spider-Man? (Which issue, incidentally? The only stuff I read of his UXM run that wasn't flipping through a book in the library was his Wolverine/Spider-Man/Daredevil crossover story.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Millar's run is great
    Bendis' run is good
    Vaughan's run is great
    Kirkman's run is awful
    Some filler runs that are pretty bad
    Spencer + Wood's runs are great

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Better then anything he did on Ultimate Spider-Man? (Which issue, incidentally? The only stuff I read of his UXM run that wasn't flipping through a book in the library was his Wolverine/Spider-Man/Daredevil crossover story.)
    Issue #41.
    Last edited by Maestroneto; 01-27-2019 at 10:17 AM.

IMO it was solid up through Return of the King which ended with #33. I stuck with the entire series and there were some good stories here and there like Magnetic North (61-65) and - I know I"m in the minority on these two - Sentinels (81-88) and Apocalypse (89-93). Phoenix? (66-71) was also readable but the gaps inbetween them again IMO were easily passable except for missing some plot points between the decent stories. Honestly if they'd ended after Return Of the King that would have been fine with me.

ultimatum was terrible. nothing but out of character moments and shock death that made no sense. people forgetting to use their powers when they need them, like nightcrawler. one of the worst series i've ever read. pure garbage and a slap in the face to any fan of the ultimate universe

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Issue #41.
    Think I saw bits and pieces of that one. Don't remember it very well.

Quote Originally Posted by jpmst17 View Post
    ultimatum was terrible. nothing but out of character moments and shock death that made no sense. people forgetting to use their powers when they need them, like nightcrawler. one of the worst series i've ever read. pure garbage and a slap in the face to any fan of the ultimate universe
    The Ultimate Spider-Man tie-ins (both in the main series and that Requiem epilogue thing) were pretty good. Granted, I didn't read any of the other stuff related to the event.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

Personally i enjoyed it all but i read them as back issues, after the like was cancelled.