Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Why don't you guys ever mention that she was introduced with her OWN costume.

She SHOULD have her dark lavender body suit.

They can give her the psyblade. And telepathy. But they are definitely relying on everything Betsy Braddock is known for to push Kwannon as the new Psylocke.

They are not making her her own character through these covers. Hopefully issue ONE does a good enough job separating her from everything she is exuding on covers. Because she literally looks like a carbon cut out of Betsy. And don't say its her body. Because it hasn't been Kwannon's body since xtreme X-Men
    Last edited by CGAR; 08-13-2019 at 09:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post

They can give her the psyblade. And telepathy. But they are definitely relying on everything Betsy Braddock is known for to push Kwannon as the new Psylocke.

They are not making her her own character through these covers. Hopefully issue ONE does a good enough job separating her from everything she is exuding on covers. Because she literally looks like a carbon cut out of Betsy. And don't say its her body. Because it hasn't been Kwannon's body since xtreme X-Men
    It's her body. She looks like carbon copy of asian body Betsy use to have which in universe is her body. Also we know female hand Ninja wear Thongikis because of Electra

Ugh that costume.

If they really had to copy one of Betsy's looks, she had a perfectly good look they could have used instead that's not ridiculously cheesecakey:

Just make her hair black and change the purple to blue and the sash to red and you have a somewhat new look that's still very reminiscent of Psylocke.

Kwannon is a retro character representing an old videogame sprite. All they need is for her to keep mentioning tea in a weird English/Australian accent for no apparent reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Kwannon is a retro character representing an old videogame sprite. All they need is for her to keep mentioning tea in a weird English/Australian accent for no apparent reason.
    That is how you see Kwannon since her "return" in 2018? In her limited appearances and dialog I don't recall one panel where she has spoken anything other than Japanese.

It wasn't until 2013 when Psylocke was consistently drawn in a body suit, and even then the design changed between different series. Prior to that Psylocke had a costume that closely resembled Jim Lee's original 90's design with few exceptions(X-Men blue/gold training costume being one). Merchandise outside of comics, going back almost 30 years in video games, art prints, statues, and figurines has featured Psylocke in some variation of her 90's design. Look at the most recent Sideshow statue that has already sold out, or the Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 design. To the causal fan the name Psylocke is synonymous with some slight variation with her 90's design. Granted how Asian she appears varies by artist, and unfortunately that trend looks like it will continue with Kwannon.

Killerbee911 has explained this much better than I have in a previous post.
    Last edited by MikaelNovasun; 08-14-2019 at 06:25 AM.

Astonishing Member The_Greatest_Username's Avatar

I don’t really blame Marvel for trying to associate Kwannon with the 90s Psylocke look. It’s by far the most popular version of the character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post

They are doing that because Marvel decided to have it´s cake and eat it too. Elizabeth Braddock remade her British body, so they can do Captain Britain movies and not look ridiculous with an Asian woman as a blond British guy´s twin sister when they have the same biological parents. But her Asian form was popularized by the video games and was seen in the XMen movies. So they decided to bring Kwannon back and let her have the codename Psylocke. Betsy is now the new Captain Britain. I liked her dark lavender ninja outfit, but obviously that doesn´t help identify who she is.

We know Kwannon has telepathic powers. I wonder if she also has telekinetic powers. I think she does, she just hasn´t figured out all of her powers yet.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Yay, I'm so happy for both Kwannon and Betsy with the latest developments. The best way to recover from a decades-long trainwreck.
    Exactly.

Looking forward to seeing more of both of them. As well as Betsy learning Kwannon is alive.

How exactly is this gonna work if she can only speak Japanese? Will it play out like a goofy anime? NotBesty: X-23-chan, Watashitachiha kono Nan o mitsukenakereba narimasen. Laura: X-23-chan?

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    How exactly is this gonna work if she can only speak Japanese? Will it play out like a goofy anime? NotBesty: X-23-chan, Watashitachiha kono Nan o mitsukenakereba narimasen. Laura: X-23-chan?
    She's a telepath in the body Betsy made for herself. She should have all of her telepathic abilities or at least she can learn how to use them. So I don't see why she can't use it to learn the English language.

Laura speaks Japanese and a wealth of other languages.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

Why does she not know how to speak English? She was doing fine right before she died

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    She's a telepath in the body Betsy made for herself. She should have all of her telepathic abilities or at least she can learn how to use them. So I don't see why she can't use it to learn the English language.
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Why does she not know how to speak English? She was doing fine right before she died
    Rosenberg wrote her; that's what happened.

Now she has to use Duolingo.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    I wouldn't say the body Betsy made for herself. It was her brother who created the body(apparently in Kwannon's image) and resurrected Betsy back in 2003(?) I believe. I think Kwannon "woke up" in the Asian body that was apparently "dead" laying on the couch in the Hunt for Wolverine: Mystery in Madripoor #2. As a side effect of Betsy restoring herself to her original British appearance, she somehow pulled Kwannon's psyche/soul from death/afterlife, or some part of Kwannon's soul was always present in the Asian body despite it not being Kwannon's original body. I hope we get some clarification on what happened in Fallen Angels, and just how much she remembers since the resurrection seems to have left her memory somewhat hazy.

Check out the latest Uncanny X-Men storyline on how it could work in the short term. Logan acted as her translator, and Laura knows Japanese as well as other languages. Kwannon is also telepathic, she kept "resetting" Logan's perceptions undoing Emma's brainwashing in Uncanny X-Men. So she could easily communicate that way as well, or even use that to remember/re-learn English from others.
    Last edited by MikaelNovasun; 08-16-2019 at 08:59 AM.

I have seen it complain about gazillion times now about Kwannon in her Hand "thongkini". Kwannon is not Betsy in the sense that Kwannon is probably willing to use sex as a weapon. Comic in the 90s over-sexualized women way too much to point where picking books felt super uncomfortable at times. So I don't mind and prefer women wearing stuff more practical but not every woman would something super practical. They should be Emma Frost and Namor types who like wearing sexualized outfits. I am just saying in a world with Nikki, Cardi and Megan tha Stallion you can make an argument they are some people who are very comfortable dressing provocatively. I agree with it didn't make sense for Betsy but for the Hand assassin Kwannon you have a stronger case for her being willing to distract her targets.