Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

I am pumped!

I am down with the legacy of codenames but the hand-me-down costumes have got to go. Not designing a new outfit is just lazy.

Yeah I think i'd be more ok with this if they changed the costume.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I wonder sometimes if some fans realize that Betsy Braddock is a blonde British woman who has a twin brother, She was a charter pilot, fashion model and spy. And she can go in so many fun directions. One of which they decide to go with again which let Kwannon use the Psylocke name. Kwannon has a limited window to start and you always give all help you can give to a character if you want them to succeed . Starting as Legacy character then building her into something new works better than just dropping a new character out in the world and praying she works. Why wouldn't you start as something that works and is recognizable to casual fans.
    I get what you're saying and I somewhat agree, especially from business and causal recognition point of view, but "in story", I can't see a woman whose whole life was usurped by another woman would want to live her life as that other woman who lived totally in that said body. Kwannon hair wasn't purple, nor was she a telepath on Betsy's level, if a telepath at all. I believe she was just highly empathic. Now judging by the Fallen Angel cover, Kwannon will take over her usurper's name and iconic look as her own?

If I was a new reader or returning reader and only had a passing knowledge of Psylocke, I would be mad confused at the changes.
    Don't get me wrong, I will definitely check the book out. I was just hoping Kwannon will grow pass her connection with Betsy, loss the purple hair, butterfly effect and blue and pink motif, while still keeping the psyblake. Give her her own signature look and power display. If she has to be Psylocke, make it her own and not be a reductive copy.

It would have been better if she had a different costume while having the Psylocke name but honestly I'm just hoping Hill gives Kwannon a distinct personality. It would be a shame of she just acted the same at Betsy did as Psylocke.

To me having Kwannon around is so nonsensical. They tried to solve a problem (the racist body swap) but instead complicated matters by trying to have their cake too. So far there has been little to no real development to either of them separate from the problematic body swap. Betsy is skewing more towards her Anglo nature with the shield/broadsword constructs, Kwannon is using Psylocke's same powerset (that she shouldn't even have access to). I have very low expectations when it comes to Kwannon and while I will take a look at it, I am not convinced yet there's a real clear good reason for her existence except to profit off the thonkini mess.
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

Quote Originally Posted by baltiroo View Post
    To me having Kwannon around is so nonsensical. They tried to solve a problem (the racist body swap) but instead complicated matters by trying to have their cake too. So far there has been little to no real development to either of them separate from the problematic body swap. Betsy is skewing more towards her Anglo nature with the shield/broadsword constructs, Kwannon is using Psylocke's same powerset (that she shouldn't even have access to). I have very low expectations when it comes to Kwannon and while I will take a look at it, I am not convinced yet there's a real clear good reason for her existence except to profit off the thonkini mess.
    Yes she should. The body has TP/TK. Kwannon's mind is inhabiting it so it should have access to all the powers that that body's DNA is capable of

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Yes she should. The body has TP/TK. Kwannon's mind is inhabiting it so it should have access to all the powers that that body's DNA is capable of
    This exactly. People seem to forget that this body isn’t Kwannon’s original body but a construct created by Jamie with Betsy’s DNA. So while Kwannon may carry over her own powers, it makes sense that she too would have identical powers to Betsy just like how Otto putting his mind into a clone of Ben and himself gives him all of Spider-Man’s powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    This exactly. People seem to forget that this body isn’t Kwannon’s original body but a construct created by Jamie with Betsy’s DNA. So while Kwannon may carry over her own powers, it makes sense that she too would have identical powers to Betsy just like how Otto putting his mind into a clone of Ben and himself gives him all of Spider-Man’s powers.
    That just seems super lazy. I thought that when Betsy "died" in Mystery in Madripoor that the body died along with it. I know that Jamie used his powers to warp the body, but I didn't realize that Kwannon just somehow jumped into the body that died, but somehow didn't really and that British Betsy wouldn't even go back to first... Either it feels lazy and ham-fisted but they're going to do what they want.
    My debut novel Awakening - Book One of The Children of the Solstice Series: http://amzn.to/2xAbyid

"If you like sci-fi and the "everyday" superhero, this book is for you."

The second book Collision is out now: https://amzn.to/2FzkH1W

"The Children of the Solstice are Back!"

Total Geek Live is group effort by 4 Geeks giving you all the latest in geek news: https://bit.ly/2YoYrir

Quote Originally Posted by baltiroo View Post
    That just seems super lazy. I thought that when Betsy "died" in Mystery in Madripoor that the body died along with it. I know that Jamie used his powers to warp the body, but I didn't realize that Kwannon just somehow jumped into the body that died, but somehow didn't really and that British Betsy wouldn't even go back to first... Either it feels lazy and ham-fisted but they're going to do what they want.
    You were wrong. The body obviously wasnt dead as the mini ends with it being alive. We dont know exactly how any of this happens but we do know that Kwannon is in that body, not her original one

Mighty Member

I’m in the mindset that she should take on a different name or at the very least a new costume. This is confusing to people that are new or casual readers. Betsy’s last isn’t Kwannon’s past and if I was reading this and didn’t read MIM, I would think it’s the same character. I am interested in seeing how Kwannon is developed as her own character. Her thoughts on her new body, or if she even knows that’s not her original body. How she’s even inhabiting that body? I’m interested in seeing her find out some answers to these questions. For me, I just need a few changes to separate her from Betsy on a visual level. I loved the mask and hood/cape she sported in uncanny

I'm coming around on Kwannon taking the name Psylocke.
    I'd still prefer that she had her own name and a new costume, but for now this is still better than I expected for Kwannon.

Just a year ago we never really expected Betsy to go back to her original body, I for one never really expected to see Kwannon come back in the process.
    But then Mystery in Madripoor came and went, and Kwannon disappeared for months, and when she came back it was as a blank slate with no real development from Rosenberg. And she just kinda disappeared from the book without any warning

But now she's headlining her own series, we're finally seeing someone from her past (who hopefully isn't Matsuo), and according to Bryan Hill she actively makes the choice to take the name Psylocke. Maybe in a book with only 3 main characters she'll finally get some focus and in depth exploration of her character and her history. That is pretty huge for a character that was never really supposed to exist

I'm still not 100% behind the name change. But if this is what it takes to keep Kwannon in the spotlight so that she can actually get the chance to develop as a character and eventually get new traits that separate her from Betsy, then I'll take it.

“Kwannon” could very easily be a Hand call-sign and not a birth name.

It’s a weird bastardized spelling of the Japanese goddess of mercy. Top google searches spell it right. Excited to learn what Hill does.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    “Kwannon” could very easily be a Hand call-sign and not a birth name.

It’s a weird bastardized spelling of the Japanese goddess of mercy. Top google searches spell it right. Excited to learn what Hill does.
    I think its her birth name or at least one she chose for herself. It would be weird that her lover, Mat'suo only ever referred to her by a codename

Anyone hoping her powers operate differently?

Ever since the notion of touch telepathy cane up as a solution to differentiate the many many many telepaths in X-Men, I thought Psylocke was the first and best option to explore that change.

I would absolutely be fine with Kwannon/Psylockes powers be limited to rudimentary psychic stuff and a focused totality psychic knife.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Anyone hoping her powers operate differently?

Ever since the notion of touch telepathy cane up as a solution to differentiate the many many many telepaths in X-Men, I thought Psylocke was the first and best option to explore that change.

I would absolutely be fine with Kwannon/Psylockes powers be limited to rudimentary psychic stuff and a focused totality psychic knife.
    Sure. It makes sense bc Kwannon doesnt have the skill or experience with this powerset so limiting it to touch and/or short range seems fitting