Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Comic Geek in General

Oh good, my ML Psylocke is still considered Psylocke........now I just need a Marvel Legends Captain Britain 2 (Betsy Braddock).......

I still think the thread should be

Kwannon: Revanche/Psylocke II

I mean....her name is Kwannon and Revanche and Psylocke are her alias.

Like the Betsy one. Betsy Braddock: Psylocke/ Captain Britain.
    A picture would last longer darling...

Wait tilll after the first issue to change the thread title. Just saying.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MentalManipulator View Post
    I still think the thread should be

Kwannon: Revanche/Psylocke II

I mean....her name is Kwannon and Revanche and Psylocke are her alias.

Like the Betsy one. Betsy Braddock: Psylocke/ Captain Britain.
    Kwannon is the name of the Japanese goddess of mercy. So Kwannon is yet another alias of hers. Her real name is unrevealed.

I have no problem with Kwannon being called Psylocke or getting the butterfly signature, however, I do hope she doesn't end up getting "legacy character treatment". What I mean by this is that the story focuses on aspects of the OG character to popularize the new character rather than developing the new character. Sam Wilson as Captain America is a good example of keeping the balance right of developing the character behind the name rather than just having the character ride on the coattails of the OG character. I hope Kwannon gets the same treatment and doesn't end up being an excuse to keep the sexy Asian aesthetic. The thongkini is already a bad start and Id prefer for her to wear something more practical as a ninja.

BANNED

Losing the butterfly doesn't bother me nearly as much as past stuff like Betsy a) being dead or b) abandoned to an Exiles book. I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Kwannon is the name of the Japanese goddess of mercy. So Kwannon is yet another alias of hers. Her real name is unrevealed.
    Its never been said that Kwannon is only an alias. Thats her actual name and the one her lover used for her. Wouldnt have made sense to call her Kwannon the entire time and give her an additional alias (Revanche) on top of that

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Its never been said that Kwannon is only an alias. Thats her actual name and the one her lover used for her. Wouldnt have made sense to call her Kwannon the entire time and give her an additional alias (Revanche) on top of that

spoilers:
    What we know about her name will be clarified tomorrow.
    end of spoilers
    Psylocke Captain Britain Rictor Dust Moonstar Hellion

BANNED

Yep. This is going to work.

FA hit it out of the park. Like all the way.

BANNED

I had a growing feeling it would be a dark horse after reading Hill’s interviews, despite not being enamored with the team and having an existing distaste for Kwannon in general. It is easily one of the best books of the line and frankly I wish Excalibur was as weird as this. I hope it will be.

I’m still not thrilled she is keeping the codename but I get it in story and for branding, and I frankly doubt it’s forever. I think someday she (whoever she really is) will want to move beyond it herself. They sold me on her in one issue. Betsy has been my favorite X-Man for almost three decades, I’ve never had a particular attachment to her Asian body and wanted her to go back to her original one long before she ever did. Either way, she’s now got a counterpart to live up to - because this was very good and “Kwannon” is fascinating.

She definitely is in a transitional period and that shines a light on a lot of her actions throughout. I think the moodiness of the art really sells how dreary it feels for those who sit outside of Krakoa’s comfort and “Xavier’s peace” while still remaining active members of the mutant nation. Hopefully since I’m not discussing actual story beats then this won’t count as spoiler talk. I’m really invested in Psylocke and her story as she’s finally acting in her own agency without being reduced to “I am Nothing *sadface*” or Logan’s lapdog.

It felt like this book received the least of the Dawn of X exposure and momentum and I’m disappointed that there wasn’t a bigger push behind this.

BANNED

I understand why there wasn’t. It’s a pretty niche concept with a niche lead with virtually no background beyond the branding, and I understand wanting to start her in a book like this to see if she takes off. I do think it’s a shame this is the book least likely to run very long, but it may well be designed to be finite. I wish Excalibur had some of this same lyricism (and weirder art). But I guess that’s why you contrast them. (I’d forgive anything if they’d gotten back Alan Davis, or even dug up Casey Jones from the Ellis run. I guess I’m negging Marcus To again and he’s great.)
    Last edited by powerpax; 11-13-2019 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    I’m still not thrilled she is keeping the codename but I get it in story and for branding, and I frankly doubt it’s forever. I think someday she (whoever she really is) will want to move beyond it herself. They sold me on her in one issue. Betsy has been my favorite X-Man for almost three decades, I’ve never had a particular attachment to her Asian body and wanted her to go back to her original one long before she ever did. Either way, she’s now got a counterpart to live up to - because this was very good and “Kwannon” is fascinating.
    You have to admit why she keeps the codename was on point.

They hit on bunch of things with enough nice meta clean up to shut up some fans. I mean some people are going to keep complaining about how this wasn't done the "right way". While the character they are protecting continues to have success doing thing the the "wrong way". Instantly Kwannon is her clear own character so I wonder what all the complaints where about.

BANNED

I think it depends on if she keeps evolving as she has. I also don’t want Betsy too softened up to contrast them or fit the mold of her brother’s mantle, and that’s something I worry about. Betsy was hardcore before and after Kwannon and the Hand. I am glad for them addressing certain recent past stuff with her in FA, because that drives that home.