Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    If it were up to me I'd give Kwannon different psi-weapons depending on her own emotions, like a mood ring

So she'd be forced to try to control her emotions, or adapt to different weapons even if they wouldn't be the most useful weapon for the current circumstances
    Thats a cool gimmick for her.

That costume is so dated. Even Psylocke got modern variations which were still very identifiable as being inspired by that costume. I wish they had done the same for Kwannon

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I will NEVER call her Psylocke. Total blasphemy. Her name is Kwannon
    I was pretty unhappy when Kwannon was given the Psylocke name as a legacy name at first also. But, I've come around to at least give it a chance.
    I figure that we will have to see how serious Marvel is in promoting Betsy as Captain Britain, which would make Betsy a legacy character as well. If Betsy takes off as Captain Britain, including possibly in the MCU movies, Betsy's days as Psylocke would likely be over for good.

It will be interesting if the new Captain Britain and Psylocke legacies will work out. I've seen some good legacies, and some really bad ones. Archangel is my favorite, and NuAngel was a disaster as a replacement. On the other hand, look at Thor and Wolverine. Thor and Wolverine are two of my favorites. But, I thought that Jane Foster and Laura Kinney did excellent jobs as characters in Thor Odinson and Logan's place. I would have never believed that anyone could fill Logan's place for any period of time. Of course Thor and Logan were always going to reclaim those identities. If Betsy really does work as Captain Britain, then we will probably see Kwannon as Psylocke on a permanent basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
    ^Couldn't have put it in a more one-sided way, sorry. You're saying in the long term it might be for the best, yet how can it be the case when 30 years of development are no longer tied to Betsy's backstory and some retconned character who was absent since 1995 is vulturing the Psylocke legacy? To me this is another One More Day-gate under the pretense of what is proper "representation" and I know I won't be buying anything from Marvel.
    I'm sorry that this has happened for you. You and other fans who fell in love with the Asian version of Betsy. It really can suck to see your favorite character altered in a way that you don't like. Especially when the character is altered from when you first came across him/her.
    I just don't think that Marvel could continue with the idea that Psylocke was really a white woman in an Asian fetish body. I agree with that stance, for what it is worth.

I hope that the new Captain Britain and Psylocke will be written well enough that you, me, and other fans can come to accept this.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    That costume is so dated. Even Psylocke got modern variations which were still very identifiable as being inspired by that costume. I wish they had done the same for Kwannon
    This I can agree with 100%.

Edit- Sorry that I had to do so much editing to this post. for some reason I couldn't respond to the second two quotes.
    Last edited by Thievery; 08-27-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Here's Hill talking Fallen Angels and some art previews.

I can't tell if Kwannon has pants in the preview art or just really long boots

She seems to have telekinesis though

Nice art, i like that Kwannon actually still looks asian unlike on some of the covers. Smh. Hill just sounds like such a cool guy im rooting for him

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    Nice art, i like that Kwannon actually still looks asian unlike on some of the covers. Smh. Hill just sounds like such a cool guy im rooting for him
    I was thinking that too. I hated that Betsy got her body back there was no difference.

Wow they hooked her up with a great artist. Applause to Marvel for not messing that up.

Also she is definitely keeping the butterfly imagery.

BANNED

I am no fan of the Kwannon retcon going back to when I was 11, but Hill has convinced me to give this a shot. What they've done with the Psylockes is prob the most fair and diversity/branding-friendly way to handle things, though to me Psylocke will always be Betsy's codename first. If they can give Kwannon an actual character go for it.

Kwannon as Psylocke has more value to Marvel than Betsy as Captain Britain. If they can’t thread the Skywalker needle with the Braddock twins, I can easily see Betsy being sidelined in Otherworld.

BANNED

LOL, we'll see!

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Kwannon as Psylocke has more value to Marvel than Betsy as Captain Britain. If they can’t thread the Skywalker needle with the Braddock twins, I can easily see Betsy being sidelined in Otherworld.
    for real? I was thinking the opposite..if fallen angels flops i feel like theyll be more than happy to bury kwannon and all the body swapping nonsense once and for all. Betsy can be the face of progress for the x-line like Captain Marvel was over on the avengers side. Unless there was sarcasm here that went over my head and im dumb as hell

“Psylocke” is their highest profile Asian mutant. The body swap with a British(!) Woman sparked too many articles about racism and colonialism. Developing the Kwannon character as THE Psylocke is their way to get the cake they can eat.

I’m not arguing for the sidelining of Betsy. I’m being realistic that the X-Men don’t need another psychic Caucasian. If this new Excalibur IS about Betsy owning her Braddock, then let’s also be realistic with the fact that Braddock stories are “bigger” than mutant rights, despite her own nebulous x-gene.

ahh gotcha, that makes sense too

Ultimate Member

It wasn't a true body swap, the two bodies were melded together so you couldn't distinguish one from the other besides the hair, and the body that Kwannon is currently in is NOT her original body, that was is long gone, this body is the one that Jamie Braddock remade for Betsy...