Page 24 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1420212223242526 LastLast

The thongkini is tired and objectifying, there’s plenty of designs and newer costumes that can be used to update Psylocke’s look.

Emma Been Frost Perfection/Emma 2's Avatar

Kwannon is really getting that exposure and I love to see it. I want to see Kwannon win just not being portrayed the way she is currently in Fallen Angels
    Yara Flor & Emma "Mama" Frost stan account

Quote Originally Posted by Perfection/Emma 2 View Post
    Kwannon is really getting that exposure and I love to see it. I want to see Kwannon win just not being portrayed the way she is currently in Fallen Angels
    Her current portrayal in Fallen Angels is like... All the characterization she's ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    The thongkini is tired and objectifying, there’s plenty of designs and newer costumes that can be used to update Psylocke’s look.
    The Thongkini is objectifying on Betsy, on Kwannon it is her choice/personality style to be dress like that not every woman has to be covered up some women like dressing in skimpy clothing. I mean I can list off people like Cardi B, Nikki,Megan the Stallion, Lizzo and many more who like to dress like that while there is a Rhapsody ,Lauryn Hill, Missy Elliot,etc who choose not to dress like that as example of how two group of women choose to go about things. The costume is fine on Kwannon, It is perfectly that assasin is comfortable in outfit that distracts males .

Yeah I’m not a fan of the “thongkini” but I at least acknowledge that it’s a Hand uniform, and she would go back to it as a part of her pre-Psylocke identity. I’d love a costume redesign, but I just love redesigns. They’re fun!

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Yeah I’m not a fan of the “thongkini” but I at least acknowledge that it’s a Hand uniform, and she would go back to it as a part of her pre-Psylocke identity. I’d love a costume redesign, but I just love redesigns. They’re fun!
    At some point a redesign will come but people need to think about it let's pretend they gave her new design right away and the character doesn't work, Where do they go then? If Kwannon as Psylocke doesn't work the character has a fall back and can be redesigned and go in "new direction".

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The Thongkini is objectifying on Betsy, on Kwannon it is her choice/personality style to be dress like that
    As CRaymond said, it's a Hand uniform. So even in-story, it was given to her by men. From what we've seen of her personality, I don't think she particularly cares about fashion, or about being sexy. Though the fact that she doesn't really care explains why she doesn't mind wearing it either.

Anyway, dare I say at the end of the day I like it? And I understand why Marvel is using it: It's the best way to market the character. If she hadn't gotten it UXM would probably have been her latest appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    As CRaymond said, it's a Hand uniform. So even in-story, it was given to her by men. From what we've seen of her personality, I don't think she particularly cares about fashion, or about being sexy. Though the fact that she doesn't really care explains why she doesn't mind wearing it either.

Anyway, dare I say at the end of the day I like it? And I understand why Marvel is using it: It's the best way to market the character. If she hadn't gotten it UXM would probably have been her latest appearance.
    But Kwannon was part of Hand? I heard she wasn't, she was freelancer

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    But Kwannon was part of Hand? I heard she wasn't, she was freelancer
    Hm, now I'm a bit confused.

This is what Marvel wiki says:
    "The woman known as Kwannon was raised to be an assassin by the Hand. Raised to be "the enemy of peace", Kwannon fell in love with a boy and gave birth to a daughter. This displeased her masters, who killed her lover and took her daughter away from her.[2]

She eventually became the prime assassin of the Japanese crimelord Lord Nyoirin, as well as the lover of Matsu'o Tsurayaba, a high-ranking member of a group of ninja mystics called the Hand. When the interests of Nyoirin and the Hand came into conflict, Kwannon was honor-bound to face her lover Matsu'o in combat. During the conflict, she fell from an ocean cliff and suffered injuries that left her brain-damaged and comatose with no hope for recovery.[3]"

Fallen Angels also had data pages with The Hand's training/rules/mantras/whatever for their assassins.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post

In story she is picking to wear it, She isn't actively a part of the Hand right now, She isn't being forced to wear it. And what we seen from her personality she doesn't seem above using standard assassination tactics. I agree I don't think she cares about fashion or being sexy but I also don't see her having a problem using sex to complete a mission. I don't think she has a problem weaponize "sex". Either way I am fine with Emma Frost, Stacy X and maybe Kwannon being part of group women who are more free about dressing a certain way for whatever their reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    In story she is picking to wear it, She isn't actively a part of the Hand right now, She isn't being forced to wear it. And what we seen from her personality she doesn't seem above using standard assassination tactics. I agree I don't think she cares about fashion or being sexy but I also don't see her having a problem using sex to complete a mission. I don't think she has a problem weaponize "sex". Either way I am fine with Emma Frost, Stacy X and maybe Kwannon being part of group women who are more free about dressing a certain way for whatever their reason.
    You said it was her personal style, that's the part I was disagreeing with. I think she just found it and was like "Yeah, this will do...". When it comes to her being sexual, I remember that they said Betsy hitting on Scott was thanks to her influence... But that feels so out of touch with how she's been portrayed.

There’s no in-story indication that Psylocke’s wearing any particular outfit in order to weaponize her sexuality. If that was the case then all power but for now it’s an outdated design made by a bunch of men to objectify her body during the “abs’n’ass” Lee-era overload. It makes sense that she comes out of the gate with her classic look but she didn’t even have that luxury when she came back during Rosencanny. You could make the argument that the Dawn of X launch for Fallen Angels did hinge on her looking like she did during the 90s but she should have a different fit by at least ‘Hellions’.

But that's not even her costume pre-swap. She wears another costume with different color scheme. Betsy's ninja Psylocke was "created" to be Mandarin's assasin

Quote Originally Posted by MetalPsyc View Post
    But that's not even her costume pre-swap. She wears another costume with different color scheme. Betsy's ninja Psylocke was "created" to be Mandarin's assasin
    I thought I recalled seeing a flashback of Kwannon wearing it in her Matsuo flashbacks back in 1992 or so

I thought I recalled seeing a flashback of Kwannon wearing it in her Matsuo flashbacks back in 1992 or so
    Xmen 31 shows flashbacks of her life with him and that costume isnt worn by her. Unless you are referring to this panel, which isnt exactly a flashback but rather how he views her

Last edited by Havok83; 12-21-2019 at 07:51 PM.