Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast
    Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

I read the issue back in elementary school. Not mine, but a classmate's. Cemented my inner wish that Psylocke (Betsy then) does not graduate from the ninja bathing suit. Wasn't a fan of Spiral though, not until Capcom's "X-Men: Children of the Atom."
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I thought the "ninja floss" was the Betsy persona's idea? Anyway, I know they'll change it eventually. But I still think whatever they change it to will be badass and sexy. Even if she's covered from head to toe and they don't over-emphasize her feminine bits.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

They never really explained the ninja floss costume. Visually it was a very pin-up t & a take on Elektra's hand uniform. If Kwannon's never truly had any name or sense of self beyond being a child assassin then Nyorin's assassin I could see why she'd keep the Psylocke name. It might be freeing in a way, taking on the name of a hero but at the same time the name & costume are both just another pair of shackles.

It's also never truly said she was a member of the Hand in any of her prior stories. Just that she was Nyorin's chief assassin, who's clan was rival to the hand. The pre Siege Perilous flashbacks we've gotten in Fallen Angels haven't said who raised her.

If Hill wants to keep it simple he'd be better off leaving it has Nyorin's clan. It'll flesh Kwannon & him out a bit more, since he was a Niczea retcon just like she was. It also makes him way creepier ,in a Xavier lusting after Jean way, since Nyorin had a thing for Kwannon.

I can't picture her being a child solider of the Hand who someone ended up in service to a rival group. The Hand doesn't let their property go.
    Last edited by Alexi; 12-24-2019 at 04:25 PM.

I like Revanche for her code name. I suppose they could go with Psylocke or something else, but that one stuck with me.

I also LOVE the concept of the Black Sky as introduced in the Netflix series. If the lore hasn't already been adapted for the comic, maybe they can integrate that into Kwannon's mythos, i.e., Kwannon as the Black Sky or "the Bringer of Shadows"? That might help explain the ties to the Hand, even if Kwannon was never actually a member of the cabal. They see her as one of their possible Chosen Ones so to speak, although Kwannon might feel differently about all of that. Just spit-balling here.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Alexi View Post
    They never really explained the ninja floss costume. Visually it was a very pin-up t & a take on Elektra's hand uniform. If Kwannon's never truly had any name or sense of self beyond being a child assassin then Nyorin's assassin I could see why she'd keep the Psylocke name. It might be freeing in a way, taking on the name of a hero but at the same time the name & costume are both just another pair of shackles.

It's also never truly said she was a member of the Hand in any of her prior stories. Just that she was Nyorin's chief assassin, who's clan was rival to the hand. The pre Siege Perilous flashbacks we've gotten in Fallen Angels haven't said who raised her.

If Hill wants to keep it simple he'd be better off leaving it has Nyorin's clan. It'll flesh Kwannon & him out a bit more, since he was a Niczea retcon just like she was. It also makes him way creepier ,in a Xavier lusting after Jean way, since Nyorin had a thing for Kwannon.

I can't picture her being a child solider of the Hand who someone ended up in service to a rival group. The Hand doesn't let their property go.
    All of the things Betsy Braddock did in Kwannon's body also meant she used Kwannon's fighting skills and abilities to do it. So basically Psylocke has a reputation as a hero, and this is why Kwannon took the name for herself. She also had rights to it.

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

Betsy used "Psylocke" way before having Kwannon's body or fighting skills. It's a terrible decision and just an attempt to deceive casuals. End of

Thankfully in Fallen Angels this is made very clear, but I worry about future renditions trying to gloss over it
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Betsy used "Psylocke" way before having Kwannon's body or fighting skills. It's a terrible decision and just an attempt to deceive casuals. End of

Thankfully in Fallen Angels this is made very clear, but I worry about future renditions trying to gloss over it
    So Elizabeth Braddock making Sexy Asian Ninja Woman wasn't ain't to deceive casuals that She wasn't a British White Woman. At what do people not notice that a company will do everything in its power to make a character popular sometimes it is giving a character aspects of existing character or sometimes it is leaving character as Asian Woman because Jim Lee draws an amazing version of the character and it became stupid popular.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post

It takes two clicks and a Google search to figure out that Betsy used to be Psylocke.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    It takes two clicks and a Google search to figure out that Betsy used to be Psylocke.
    British Psylocke wasn't well know. The Psylocke made popular in the video games, who appeared twice in the cartoons, and who appeared in the X-Men films was Asian ninja Psylocke. For obvious purposes, with Betsy Braddock a white woman again, Kwannon keeps the codename Psylocke because this is how mass audiences know her.

It's marketing 101. Most people are not going to dig out back issues of the X-Men from the 80s. The comics are only around to generate new ideas/test them out for movies, cartoons, video games, toys, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    British Psylocke wasn't well know. The Psylocke made popular in the video games, who appeared twice in the cartoons, and who appeared in the X-Men films was Asian ninja Psylocke. For obvious purposes, with Betsy Braddock a white woman again, Kwannon keeps the codename Psylocke because this is how mass audiences know her.

It's marketing 101. Most people are not going to dig out back issues of the X-Men from the 80s. The comics are only around to generate new ideas/test them out for movies, cartoons, video games, toys, etc.
    This is all information I know.

Was there a Kwannon prior to Betsy's body issues?
    Last edited by sungila; 12-26-2019 at 06:06 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Quote Originally Posted by sungila View Post
    Was there a Kwannon prior to Betsy's body issues?
    There wasn’t a Kwannon until Nicieza. Unless your question is more nuanced?

Is it true that Betsy as Captain Britain has all of Kwannon's fighting skill, but Kwannon doesn't have nearly as much of Betsy's psionic mastery?

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Is it true that Betsy as Captain Britain has all of Kwannon's fighting skill, but Kwannon doesn't have nearly as much of Betsy's psionic mastery?
    I guess? I think JDW said Betsy still remembers how to fight like before. We're just not likely to see it now that she's more of a knight type character with sword, shield, armor.

Casual Comics Reader/Fan Londo Bellian's Avatar
    Space Colony "Londenion", Side 1 (in-character)

Betsy-Tank and Kwannon-DPS?
    Genkai nante nai (No limits), Zettai nante nai (No absolutes)

Thank GOD for X'97. Cautious about "From the Ashes". Please no more Blue vs. Orange.