Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 161
  1. #61
    Welcome Back Spidey Kurolegacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    5,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by drwho View Post
    Revanche should have her own identity and sink and swim at that because once Betsy is no longer Capt Britain she will be Psylocke again.
    Perhaps but given Marvel’s currently climate, who knows what their rationale in making Betsy Captain Britain is and if they’re trying to pull another Carol Danvers where they try to say the character has evolved beyond the identity and thus pass it on to another. Of course from the sounds of it, they want Psylocke associated to the Asian body since that’s been the most iconic form of Psylocke and since it’s Kwannon in the body this time, she gets the name.

  2. #62
    Astonishing Member vasir12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,492

    Default

    I think, given the climate and simple marketing, Betsy won't go back to Psylocke. It might be better to treat Kwannon as a legacy. Those can be dicey but changes like this have happened before.

  3. #63
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    IDA. Its the fans that dont know too much that will be confused the most. Anyone who hasnt read MiM will see this asian chick wearing the iconic Jim Lee design, called Psylocke with the same powers and will assume its the same character thats been around like that since the 90s. This was a chance to have Kwannon forge her own identity and she just seems to be following in Betsy's shadow
    It is a circular argument, Betsy "Shadow" is a period of time she was in Asian body being a ninja telepath. That body just happens to be Kwannon, The martial arts is because well Kwannon is hand Assasin. Her own "identity" is some of the thing used to make Psylocke popular.

    Kwannon is Asain Telepath Ninja she doesn't need to forge a new identity from that. She needs a compelling personal story and her unique personality developed. The reason people are following Kwannon/Reavache is because she is that Asian ninja looked like Psylocke not in spite of it. And without Betsy around to dilute the niche . The niche is all hers alone.

  4. #64
    Ultimate Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,958

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It is a circular argument, Betsy "Shadow" is a period of time she was in Asian body being a ninja telepath. That body just happens to be Kwannon, The martial arts is because well Kwannon is hand Assasin. Her own "identity" is some of the thing used to make Psylocke popular.

    Kwannon is Asain Telepath Ninja she doesn't need to forge a new identity from that. She needs a compelling personal story and her unique personality developed. The reason people are following Kwannon/Reavache is because she is that Asian ninja looked like Psylocke not in spite of it. And without Betsy around to dilute the niche . The niche is all hers alone.
    Okay thats nice, then dont call her Psylocke and give her Psylocke's costume. Kwannon can have her own codename and costume and still be a telepathic Asian ninja.. Its a disservice to her to just make her Psylocke instead of trying to differentiate her when she is essentially a blank slate

  5. #65
    Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    6,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Okay thats nice, then dont call her Psylocke and give her Psylocke's costume. Kwannon can have her own codename and costume and still be a telepathic Asian ninja.. Its a disservice to her to just make her Psylocke instead of trying to differentiate her when she is essentially a blank slate
    I second that and think many agree.

    Call her Kwannon, or even Revanche and give her a unique costume. Thus is no Good.
    ****Stop complaining and start dancing****

  6. #66
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    I don't see issue in using things that made Elizabeth braddock popular as an Asian character to the Asian character she functionally took the things from.Also there is no need differentiate because the previous version isn't around and isn't coming back. It is like Spiderman or Batman vacated their mantle would it make sense for another character to use that niche? Better yet it like when Captain Marvel vacated Ms Marvel but unlike those cases this character is an exact copy of the character.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 07-22-2019 at 05:24 AM.

  7. #67
    Ultimate Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    13,958

    Default

    No she's not Psylocke. They are going to make her Psylocke but she isnt. Psylocke was Betsy's codename, years before a Kwannon was ever concieved

  8. #68
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    Fine but ask a causal fan who Psylocke and I am pretty sure they aren't going to point you out Psylocke in her battle armor or pink fluffy pajamas . They are going say Asian Purple hair, Purple thongikini,red sash and psyknife or katana to them that is Psylocke. Yeah literally she isn't Psylocke but conceptually yeah she is what people think when you mention Psylocke and since Betsy doesn't look like that anymore. So guess who is Psylocke

    Just in the same way I can point out that Paramilitary X-force came before the Kill squad X-force but people now associate X-force with Black ops and wetworks. Sometimes the thing that comes after becomes more synonymous to name than thing came before it.

  9. #69
    Mighty Member Thievery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    1,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Perhaps but given Marvel’s currently climate, who knows what their rationale in making Betsy Captain Britain is and if they’re trying to pull another Carol Danvers where they try to say the character has evolved beyond the identity and thus pass it on to another. Of course from the sounds of it, they want Psylocke associated to the Asian body since that’s been the most iconic form of Psylocke and since it’s Kwannon in the body this time, she gets the name.
    CYNICAL RANT:I hope that I am wrong, but I get the feeling that you may be right about Marvel wanting to keep the Asian body code named Psylocke because that's the most iconic look for the Psylocke name. Marvel may feel that they can make more money by keeping Psylocke tied to the Asian body in video games and other non comic media.

    And now for my non cynical hope. I've seen that Bryon Edward Hill will be addressing the issue of why Kwannon will be using the Psylokce name on panel. I hope that the name thing is because Hill has a great story reason, and not just because of my cynical view. Hill deserves his chance to tell his story before we all go ape shit over this. I kind of feel bad about posting my cynical rant now.

    I'm still grateful to have Kwannon back. I thought that she might get lost in the shuffle. So thanks to Mr. Hill if this was his idea.

    I've never read anything by Hill. What would people describe his writing style to be like. What kinds of stories does he like to tell?
    Thanks in advance to anyone who sees these questions and responds.
    Last edited by Thievery; 07-21-2019 at 11:45 PM.

  10. #70
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    178

    Default

    I genuinely do not get why some people are whinging about this whole Betsy vs Kwannon issue.
    Marvel has "successfully" found a way to appease both camps. How about take it as a win-win?
    I for one am pleased that when I read about "Psylocke", I see the character I've been seen for the last 30 odd years.
    Elizabeth Braddock - who people want to read about - is still about.
    It's not like this is a Jane Foster "Thor" episode...

  11. #71
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    695

    Default

    This is pretty much the best case scenario for such a messy situation and a disastrous character.

  12. #72
    Astonishing Member Factor's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,420

    Default

    I really don't like what they're doing with Kwannon. She shouldn't adopt Betsy's codename and outdated look.
    After so long not being in control of her own life and body, she should get a fresh new take and direction that has little to do with Betsy.
    I'd have kept the Revanche name, or given her something new. As for the look, shorter hair and comething to make her more visually unique, like maybe the Ultimate Psylocke's eyes.
    Ignore that terrible skirt in the image, but I feel they could take a page from that design, but use a different signature color (probably blue) and give her pants.



    IF they really wanted to take a page from Betsy's looks, she should have gotten something closer to the Bunncanny design. It's iconic without being as cheesy as the Jim Lee look.

  13. #73
    Astonishing Member Killerbee911's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    I wonder sometimes if some fans realize that Betsy Braddock is a blonde British woman who has a twin brother, She was a charter pilot, fashion model and spy. And she can go in so many fun directions. One of which they decide to go with again which let Kwannon use the Psylocke name. Kwannon has a limited window to start and you always give all help you can give to a character if you want them to succeed . Starting as Legacy character then building her into something new works better than just dropping a new character out in the world and praying she works. Why wouldn't you start as something that works and is recognizable to casual fans.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 07-22-2019 at 05:25 AM.

  14. #74
    Astonishing Member CRaymond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    3,845

    Default

    1. I wish they’d chosen to dramatically simplify continuity en masse.

    2. I’m not opposed to the exchange of code names.

    3. I wish Fallen Angels was the X-Men Blue Team redux. Jubilee, Rogue, Gambit, & Wolverine teaching and training Kwannon to be part of a team.

    4. I wish Excalibur was Betsy as Cap & X-23 as her squire. Then go ham with a set of Knights. Kylun, Dane Whitman, Faiza, Dark Angel.

  15. #75
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I wonder sometimes if some fans realize that Betsy Braddock is a blonde British woman who has a twin brother, She was a charter pilot, fashion model and spy. And she can go in so many fun directions. One of which they decide to go with again which let Kwannon use the Psylocke name. Kwannon has a limited window to start and you always give all help you can give to a character if you want them to succeed . Starting as Legacy character then building her into something new works better than just dropping a new character out in the world and praying she works. Why wouldn't you start as something that works and is recognizable to casual fans.

    Very well said.
    I'm not even opposed to Kwannon using her current Uncanny X-men look and truthfully even the name Kwannon.
    Think I'm just satisfied that there's an Asian looking Psyloche character still running around the Marvel universe.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •