Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 218
  1. #121
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    233

    Default

    I wanted to quickly chime in and say that despite my misgivings on Marvel's handling of the whole Betsy/Kwannon thing I am pleased to see Kwannon getting more attention and I found myself surprisingly pleased with the idea of Kwannon inheriting the Psylocke codename with Betsy taking over the Captain Britain mantle. Keeps "Psylocke" as being the mutant Japanese ninja in tact for those who liked it. So I'll give credit where its due to say that its good to see she hasn't completely been discarded yet. Still doesn't change the fact that I disagree with the underlying decision but some of the choices since then have made me feel more optimistic. Fingers crossed to see more positive developments.

  2. #122
    Astonishing Member RachelGrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    2,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTaj View Post
    I wanted to quickly chime in and say that despite my misgivings on Marvel's handling of the whole Betsy/Kwannon thing I am pleased to see Kwannon getting more attention and I found myself surprisingly pleased with the idea of Kwannon inheriting the Psylocke codename with Betsy taking over the Captain Britain mantle. Keeps "Psylocke" as being the mutant Japanese ninja in tact for those who liked it. So I'll give credit where its due to say that its good to see she hasn't completely been discarded yet. Still doesn't change the fact that I disagree with the underlying decision but some of the choices since then have made me feel more optimistic. Fingers crossed to see more positive developments.
    A part of me prefers that Kwannon keep Ravanche as her codename, but I can understand that they want her to stay as Psylocke. The whole psychic Sai weapons was always Kwannon's thing and she should keep it.

  3. #123
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    A part of me prefers that Kwannon keep Ravanche as her codename, but I can understand that they want her to stay as Psylocke. The whole psychic Sai weapons was always Kwannon's thing and she should keep it.
    I think when considering marketing her to a wider and more casual audience its much easier to do with her using the name that people already mentally associate with her appearance rather than trying to introduce her as a totally different codename. The one who changed appearance is Betsy so it makes sense that she would be the one to also change her codename.

  4. #124
    Astonishing Member RachelGrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    2,386

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TurboTaj View Post
    I think when considering marketing her to a wider and more casual audience its much easier to do with her using the name that people already mentally associate with her appearance rather than trying to introduce her as a totally different codename. The one who changed appearance is Betsy so it makes sense that she would be the one to also change her codename.
    I just hope that Elizabeth can continue to be a viable strong character even after losing some of her iconic imagery. I really think she should keep the butterfly effect because that was always Elizabeth's right from her first appearance in the X-Men.

  5. #125
    Post Editing OCD Confuzzled's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Swingin' Above Ya
    Posts
    9,492

    Default

    Yay, I'm so happy for both Kwannon and Betsy with the latest developments. The best way to recover from a decades-long trainwreck.

  6. #126
    Ultimate Member Havok83's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    14,882

    Default

    Kwannon looking white with black hair. Looks like she's about to get the inconsistent art that Betsy got as well


  7. #127
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    14,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Kwannon looking white with black hair. Looks like she's about to get the inconsistent art that Betsy got as well

    I love this cover of kwannon. she looking like a boss.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

  8. #128
    hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,100

    Default

    I don't think she looks white, I don't think we can really see her eyes well enough to tell. She definitely looks more Asian than Laura does there.

    Also, she DOES look like a boss.

    "I'll always love you, Jean Grey." "I'll always love you too, Scott Summers." - Scott Summers and Jean Grey

  9. #129
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,424

    Default

    I think Kwannon is Asian but many artists have a sameface problem, so the only difference for characters of the same gender is hair colour and clothes.

  10. #130
    Mysterious Telepath Spinster Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,654

    Default

    I can't with ANY of these outfits.

  11. #131
    Extraordinary Member Tycon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    9,715

    Default

    lmao the moment kwannon is actually back in her asian body, they forget and draw her like some brunette white woman.

  12. #132
    Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    14,627

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    I don't think she looks white, I don't think we can really see her eyes well enough to tell. She definitely looks more Asian than Laura does there.

    Also, she DOES look like a boss.
    agreed. I'm excited I'm so curious to see what her pplersomslity is written like.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

  13. #133

    Default

    Ok...Kwannon can have the Psylocke name, the katanas and all that. But I wish her colour scheme should have been different. The hair, definitely black. Then the costume black with a red sash. Maybe the psychic powers red as well.

    Purple, lavender, pink AND the butterfly effect should stay with Betsy.
    A picture would last longer darling...

  14. #134
    Amazing Member killerbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    49

    Default

    I am excited and happy for kwańnon. I do wish she kept th purple hair or maybe a blue alternative? I do think she should have a different costume.

  15. #135
    Amazing Member killerbee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    People say that but her "own person" is the asian ninja. In universe just about everything about most popular "Psylocke persona" is hers except the psi butterfly stuff. The psyblade is Betsy but I don't remember Psylocke using Psyblade like that( someone can correct me if I am wrong) before the asian body. Most of the key elements people love about Psylocke came or where flesh out when they put her in the Kwannon body. When people say she needs to distance Psylocke "shadow" they are kind of saying she shouldn't be herself.

    Now businesswise and creative wise we know why there is a push to stay in the familiar form . You type in Psylocke and 90% percent of pictures show is 90s version, You type in Psylocke cosplay it will take you awhile to find someone cosplaying in another Betsy costume. The 90s look isn't baggage , It is sole reason for Kwannon existing after changing Betsy back. That is the Iconic look, now she has the Iconic name as well. All that is needed is new personality that fans like for a successful character. The big mission is just to establish Kwannon as what people think about when they see Psylocke instead of Betsy. So they can keep using Psylocke merch/images without having to explain Betsy body swap backstory.

    Marvel wants Kwannon to be successful so they have to change nothing . It is in Kwannon best interest to keep that look because as new character (there is barely any history for her) having a legacy form is solid path to some success. If the mantle for Batman,Spiderman,Wolverine or Wonder woman was up for grabs nobody would say hey it is bad idea to use that. Weirdly for some reason people keep suggesting that she has to be different. And lets keep it real it is not because they think it best thing for Kwannon in most cases. It is because they are protecting Betsy Braddock legacy and the things they think belong to her character. The strongest path for new character/IP in this market has consistently been a legacy path.

    Amazingly they have been hitting the right notes with process. They changed Besty back to her body and keep the two forms of character intact instead of tossing the Asian side in the dump. They found a way to give Kwannon the Psylocke codename without upsetting the Betsy fans by giving Betsy an upgrade. They have being given Kwannon consistent spotlight(uncanny,fallen angels) and the chance to be a success when people in the threads swore that she was going to disappear and be D list character. They are elevating Betsy into an elite tier of character and she isn't being hindered by change. Kwannon might never catch on but they are giving her every chance to be successful and that is all you can ask for in the process. Only thing left is the writer to write good stories and hope they do that.
    I totally agree with this but they really could have slightly improved the thongkini at the very least

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •