Default I知 not excited for DC anymore

I went from buying literally everything with the New 52 and DCYou (for its entirety) to getting everything with Rebirth and then dropping them all (because every title felt almost identical in a way) to now only getting Young Justice (which I loved) and Shazam. I love Tom King’s other work but his Batman has largely been a big bore for me; and I never thought I would drop Batman. For me, Rebirth has been a failure; boundaries are never pushed, storytelling feels like it’s phoned in, the Art is mostly the same style. A lot of the titles don't feel all that connected (and I like books that are heavy on continuity--I want them to matter).

I haven’t been truly excited since DCYou, because every book was so different and had an indie feel. Black Canary, Midnighter, Dr. Fate, Batgirl, Catwoman, Prez, Omega Men...among others.

Now I only really like the new Young Justice book and Shazam was okay, but I may drop it if it doesn’t pick up in a few issues.

For someone like me, who loved DCYou...is there anything being published by DC that matches the indie vibe? Anything that’s different from every other book on the shelves?
    Last edited by brandnewfan; 01-23-2019 at 06:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    I went from buying literally everything with the New 52 and DCYou (for its entirety) to getting everything with Rebirth and then dropping them all (because every title felt almost identical in a way) to now only getting Young Justice (which I loved) and Shazam. I love Tom King’s other work but his Batman has largely been a big bore for me; and I never thought I would drop Batman. For me, Rebirth has been a failure; boundaries are never pushed, storytelling feels like it’s phoned in, the Art is mostly the same style.

I haven’t been truly excited since DCYou, because every book was so different and had an indie feel. Black Canary, Midnighter, Dr. Fate, Batgirl, Catwoman, Prez, Omega Men...among others.

Now I only really like the new Young Justice book and Shazam was okay, but I may drop it if it doesn’t pick up in a few issues.

For someone like me, who loved DCYou...is there anything being published by DC that matches the indie vibe? Anything that’s different from every other book on the shelves?
    The Wild Storm.

That said, buyer beware on the "Catch All" thread on this sub-forum. Since the title is about to wrap up, it is pretty "Spoiler" heavy.

Extraordinary Member

Maybe all the Bendis stuff? Sandman stuff? Anything else that is not "core" like some of the minis like Female Furies, Martian Manhunter?

You may like to try The Silencer, The Terrifics or any of the other New Age of Heroes book, if you liked DCYou. It isn't exactly indie, but it's really different from the rest of DC books.

The Three issues mini Batman and the Signal is also great with the trade making use of the New Talents Shocase short and the backups in All-Star Batman.

Electric Warriors, by Orlando, is a six-issues mini which could also strike your fancy, I think.

Naomi may also interest you.

Amazing Member

brandnewfan, I feel your pain but for different reasons. I went from buying a huge amount of DC titles pre-Nu52 to just a handful of titles and then none. Flashpoint and the Nu52 just turned me off. Since I wasn't buying any more Marvel I moved on to Image, Boom and others and found myself enjoying comics more than I had in years. With Rebirth some friends encouraged me to give DC a try again and I found that I enjoyed some of DC's output again. Unfortunately, that trend is now reversing and I have all but stopped reading DC. This isn't an attempt to bash Didio but I am starting to realize his editorial vision doesn't line up with what I want from DC. That's ok though, I am still primarily reading stuff from publishers like Image, Boom and Dark Horse and enjoying them.

I grew up reading Marvel and DC and feel invested in their characters and maybe you do too. If so, I understand not wanting to give up on them but if you aren't enjoying them as much as you used to but like the indie comics feel that some had why not move on from DC and find indie comics that you enjoy? Otherwise, maybe try the new Sandman titles or other stuff from Vertigo (although that imprint is a pale reflection of it's former self) or The Wildstorm if you want to give DC a chance.
    Last edited by mmurphy1968; 01-23-2019 at 09:04 AM.

I haven't been a DC or Marvel fan since the Ford presidency. Both companies produce a variety of product and although the current tendency is to come up with universal plots, each still published some individual books I love and happily read every month (or so). The universal plots get into an all or nothing mode. I don't have the time or money to worry if I need this issue of Flash to explain happenings in last month's Aquaman.