Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
    So... Did anyone else notice that on the splash page of the fight between the X-men and X-man, there's two storms ?
    There's the Horsemen Storm on one side and the normal Storm on the other.

How do you MISS that ?
    I'll save you the time asking JDW what's up, and just suggest you come up with some fun story to explain it. Comics!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Knives View Post
    I'm not sure he will be on a team with Wolverine aiming to deal with mutant villains and similar threats. The team looks a lot like an X-Force.
    But they cant keep hiding him from Jean all year...

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    yeah. Pretty obvious that they want to bring the right Cyclops back. So by revoluctionary and emma.

Really Scott? Now you want Jean
    Well yeah. Even though it was brief, he reunited with her in PR after missing her for years. They are both finally back alive, and it makes sense that he'd want to reach out to her bc he did have alot of regrets

Quote Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
    Only explanation I can think of - The Artist HAD to have known he was drawing the same character twice...
    I think maybe he was under the impression that the Horseman was an X-man creation, not the real Storm. He hadnt read the issue and was just given story beats. Its the editors fault for not catching it

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    1) And yet, all the proponents of Edgy Cyclops are bigging up his ability to make "tough decisions". He was co-headmaster of the school and the guy in overall charge. Either he agreed with the decision, or he stood back and let it happen. Both ways his hands are dipped in blood. The second way, he gets to look weak as a bonus, which is the opposite of what everyone who liked that version claim he was about. (Note also that they didn't throw the believed-depowered Iceman out "for his own protection". And he personally also offered to let Polaris stay when they found out she was actually depowered, albeit in a wishy-washy sort of way)

2) Of course they didn't plan for it. They just stuck them all in a nice, tempting target with no protection - largely against their will - at a time they claimed to be terrified about attacks as sn excuse to chuck them out, and let events unfold. Nothing was possibly forseeable about that going wrong, huh?.
    1) I’m not seeing the point. Why not blame the actual people who did it rather than people who had no prior knowledge of an attack coming. All they knew was that there might be an attack on the school, not on a secret bus that they wouldn’t have known about had it not been for Icarus.

2) A tempting target? I mean, they took the students underground to have a quick goodbye, then leave. It wasn’t like they had a parade to show all the students that were leaving. Not sure why Scott and Emma would account for Stryker and the Purifiers (who weren’t even a threat by this point) shooting a missile into the bus. Also IIRC, it wasn’t really against their will, but Scott and Emma heavily emphasized that this was the right way to go. Prodigy still stayed behind.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

The issue was fine, if a bit dull. The method of bringing him back while maintaining continuity was well done. The art was excellent, wish we could keep Gomez on Uncanny instead of downgrading to Larocca. Wasn't a fan of the Emma hate.

The speech at the end was maybe not written as well as it could be. But I'm not really mad at it. The Rightclops crowd made me really dislike the character there for a while, so I'm fine with him being distanced from that iteration. The centrist political undertones are less satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    He said he became the monster they feared. The X-men in general are "monsters" that humanity fears. That doesnt mean they are villians even if the public hates and fears them

The editing is sh-t....LOL

Oh my god, How? Its literally been 2 weeks that covered Storm's short Horsemen job and reversion. How?
    Le Suck it, Dolphin!

-God I am so tired.

SCOTT SUMMERS AND EMMA FROST DESERVED BETTER.

Welcome to the X-Men, where doing things that you believe are just for your people is actually wrong because it makes bigots who hate and fear you hate and fear you even more. Sure, maybe you did the right thing in the macro but lost sight of something else that's important, but really? Eh... Nah. You were a terrorist and your life was a mistake. Wait, you did realize you lost sight of something and held a peace march? No you didn't. Shut up. Put on your underpants.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Welcome to the X-Men, where doing things that you believe are just for your people is actually wrong because it makes bigots who hate and fear you hate and fear you even more. Sure, maybe you did the right thing in the macro but lost sight of something else that's important, but really? Eh... Nah. You were a terrorist and your life was a mistake. Wait, you did realize you lost sight of something and held a peace march? No you didn't. Shut up. Put on your underpants.
    I love you.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    It's like an hour of Tucker Carlson.

BANNED

Firstly Paul deserve the Legion d'Honneur.

Other than that, I don't like the end of this issue claiming that Scott was wrong. I do think it would have been far better if he assumed what he did back then. He had no other choice, he learned from it and now he need to move on. Here, it's, I do think, badly written saying "I was wrong" coming from nowhere without any substance or nuance behind it.

But hey, I'm still very happy that he's back !

Serioulsy when we will have a good writer in a comic book from the X-Men by not having only action (the tumor of comic books) but also character development about what they think, how they feeld with substance and nuance ? Is that too much to ask serioulsy ?
    Last edited by KusaSan; 01-23-2019 at 12:14 PM.

BANNED

So kid Cable can go back and forth in time, but couldn't simply go back to when Scott died and bring a healer to bring him back? Instead we get this really really contrived story with the Phoenix (yawn)...this was needlessly complicated. i'm glad he's back but between this and Wolverine they're given us all these BS explanations that no one really needs.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    I'm confused as to how in the hell putting protecting your peoples lives above the lives of those that'd see them dead and forgotten withing a year makes you wrong.

By that logic T'Challa is the biggest villain in Marvel. Rubbish.

The only way that would makes sense is if he were running around calling humans flatscans and attacking anti mutant protesters in parks and stuff. They're basically calling him a bigot which so disingenuous...
    This. I'm so confused by this thread! Maybe during Bendis' run Scott went into more of a "mutant revolutionary" mode, but during the Utopia era, didn't he hire public relations people to help mutants gain acceptance as heroes? Didn't he try to make the X-Men more acceptable to non-mutants by acting more like super heroes? And AvX--the Avengers were clearly in the wrong. The only time he became "revolutionary" is when he became a host for a piece of the Phoenix force, and for a short time after. He even admitted at the end of Bendis' run that he was only pretending to be revolutionary and the act got out of hand. (Something I wasn't happy with, I like complex characters with flaws.)

Marvel is beating a peanut with a hammer here. But as others have said, someone (not necessarily the X-Office) is hell-bent on over-simplifying the X-Men and the Marvel Universe. The writing in the Annual was to mollify (as in mollycoddle) a sub-set of fans, including some editors. And Brisson is a great writer, in my opinion. I'm very hopeful that moving forward, Rosenberg and the other X-writers will stop this binary approach to X-Men characters, and write them all with nuance and complexity, including Scott.

Scott Summers is the son of a soldier, from a long-standing military family. He always was a hero with flaws, he continued to be a hero through the Utopia and Bendis runs, and he will always be a hero, no matter what anyone thinks. This in no way contradicts what actually HAPPENED in the X-Men books since 2007, and that's my biggest gripe with any kind of propaganda, which is partly what ANNUAL #1 is for, to try and redefine Cyclops and Emma and their relationship with a few lines of dialogue. It assuages the haters, but doesn't erase the truth that still exists in all the comics. I'm grateful the editors and writers left the timeline intact.
    Last edited by Rivka; 01-23-2019 at 12:21 PM.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Wasn't a fan of the Emma hate.
    And yeah, that was kind of my other takeaway. In their efforts to reset Scott back to pre!Mutant Revolutionary state, they're just backing that bus right over Emma.

Quote Originally Posted by magneticmushroom View Post
    I really enjoyed this, cant wait for Uncanny #11. It's important to remember that this Cyclops has the memories of Tyke now too, and his perspective is going to be different no matter what. The opportunity to step outside the self and observe one's own actions would be a powerful thing indeed-- who knows how it would change you?
    I feel like that would've been the better approach to take the issue; actually have Scott more pronounce reassessing his actions from the new perspective he learned from his younger self. It actually would have served as a book-end to both the flashback at the start of the issue and tie back into the reason why Beast brought the Younger O5 in the present in the first place.
    Last edited by CrimsonEchidna; 01-23-2019 at 12:21 PM.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by spirit2011 View Post
    yeah. Pretty obvious that they want to bring the right Cyclops back. So by revoluctionary and emma.

Really Scott? Now you want Jean
    I've already thought of my explanation. Phoenix/Jean is already controlling him again. Unlike what (I guess) all the editors and writers want us to believe, the truth is that Emma set Scott free, and Jean has always been about control, even unconscious control, so Scott is exactly the man she and Xavier want him to be.

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    And yeah, that was kind of my other takeaway. In their efforts to reset Scott back to pre!Mutant Revolutionary state, they're just backing that bus right over Emma.

I feel like that would've been the better approach to take the issue; actually have Scott more pronounce reassessing his actions from the new perspective he learned from his younger self. It actually would have served as a book-end to both the flashback at the start of the issue and tie back into the reason why Beast brought the Younger O5 in the present in the first place.
    Good point. Beasts actions were foolhardy and seemed really wrong but by bringing it all back to "saving" Cyclops and "Xavier's Dream" even Hank would find redemption.
    Last edited by Rivka; 01-23-2019 at 12:32 PM.

BANNED

Hey, with that device stuck to his heart if he dies again would he just get reborn????