Page 27 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    I don't need RightClops 2.0 - but I don't want Tyke 2.0 either. Give me the middle-ground of RightClops and BoyScott without dumping on everything that came before, you know?
    I feel like thats what we got in this issue

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Not really. Scott essentially disavowed everything post-Morrison (making any X-Men that stayed with him over that time look grossly incompetent for not putting him in jail if everything he did was so horrible). The issue went out of its way to throw Emma under the bus again. There's nothing left of RightClops here. It's a pure factory reset to 1991.

Really? But, top telepaths are constantly "overhearing" people's thought's because they "think so loud" - and that includes Jean.
    Exactly. And it's canon. Back in the 90s there were a few comics that showed Xavier "bleeding" his psychic influence whether he wanted to or not. And Storm accused Xavier a couple of times, of unconsciously manipulating her to leave Africa and come be Xavier's foot-soldier in New York. In Jean's case, she established that psychic link with Scott, and never left him alone. Never. When you're in love one supposes it's wonderful at first, all that massive togetherness. But after a few years, Cyke was shown in the comics, trying to get away from Jean's constant monitoring of his every thought. Can you imagine what that's like, someone ALWAYS in your head? Remember when he tried to escape to a movie theater and Jean finds him, pops up in his thoughts, to paraphrase, "Sweetie, where are you? Why did you go to a movie without me?" I love Jean Grey as a character, but her relationship with Scott made me cringe for years. I really cheered when Scott and Emma became a couple.

Emma knows what it feels like to be controlled, she relishes freedom. Jean had no boundaries with Scott--anyone with a modicum of psych education knows, human beings have to establish boundaries and personal space. Jean's insistence on violating Scott's personal space all the time, was always scary. She'd say, she only wanted to share her love for him, or make sure he's okay, but she actually had complete access to his mind, and even if unintentionally, she could manipulate him in subtle ways. Xavier did the same thing to all the O5! He manipulated them for years! Jean learned from the master; "all for your own good" Xavier and Jean would say. A little nudge to make this decision, or that.

I'm not saying this is what happened in current X-Continuity based on what's in UNCANNY ANNUAL #1. I'm leaving it on the table, though! If the X-Office and Marvel weren't so hell-bent on vilifying Emma (and Magneto too for that matter), and doing so in dialogue that is propagandist at best, maybe I could wrap my brain around Scott's "conversion" in today's comics. But that speech, and others by Kid Cable--Marvel is being provocative and I need an alternative explanation for Cyclops' complete paradigm shift. It really looks and reads like he's rejoined a cult that he escaped, and now he's seen the "error of his ways" and he's "sorry" he doubted Xavier's Dream.

Now any mutant who has ANY method different from that of the Xavier Cult, is going to be a "villain." All mutants are either with Saint Xavier or they are enemies. Like it was in the 90s. Which is why I say again, the 90s were not a good time in the X-Books. Not a decade to emulate. The X-Office and Marvel need to stop.

BANNED

It's no middle-ground if they're saying all Scott did was egregious, unless they're refering only to AvX. They're embracing the Hitler thing quite well if the end wasn't applied only to AvX.

Which would make sense in the whole context, since he mentioned specifically that event. But it should have been made more clear. The way Brisson wrote it, it sounded like he thought all he did was wrong.

Is that the case though? There's enough healthy skepticism to keep me on edge.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Not really. Scott essentially disavowed everything post-Morrison (making any X-Men that stayed with him over that time look grossly incompetent for not putting him in jail if everything he did was so horrible). The issue went out of its way to throw Emma under the bus again. There's nothing left of RightClops here. It's a pure factory reset to 1991.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    It's no middle-ground if they're saying all Scott did was egregious, unless they're refering only to AvX. They're embracing the Hitler thing quite well if the end wasn't applied only to AvX.

Which would make sense in the whole context, since he mentioned specifically that event. But it should have been made more clear. The way Brisson wrote it, it sounded like he thought all he did was wrong.
    He said he was wrong; not equate himself to Hitler. I think people are going way left with this. Regardless he was not written like Teen Scott. That version was a coward that ran away from responsibility and rejected being a leader. He whined and hated the person whom he would become. Thats not how Scott was portrayed today. Calling him Tyke 2.0 is a bit of an overexageration

Is that the case though? There's enough healthy skepticism to keep me on edge.
    and I dont blame you but Im optimistic after reading it. We'll have to wait and see if they deliver

He said he was wrong; not equate himself to Hitler. I think people are going way left with this. Regardless he was not written like Teen Scott. That version was a coward that ran away from responsibility and rejected being a leader. He whined and hated the person whom he would become. Thats not how Scott was portrayed today. Calling him Tyke 2.0 is a bit of an overexageration

and I dont blame you but Im optimistic after reading it. We'll have to wait and see if they deliver
    The way it was written makes him sound like he's calling everything he did post-Morrison a mistake. M-Day, Hope, AvX, Canada school, all of it. I don't see how that isn't a complete annihilation of the RightClops character.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    Exactly. And it's canon. Back in the 90s there were a few comics that showed Xavier "bleeding" his psychic influence whether he wanted to or not. And Storm accused Xavier a couple of times, of unconsciously manipulating her to leave Africa and come be Xavier's foot-soldier in New York. In Jean's case, she established that psychic link with Scott, and never left him alone. Never. When you're in love one supposes it's wonderful at first, all that massive togetherness. But after a few years, Cyke was shown in the comics, trying to get away from Jean's constant monitoring of his every thought. Can you imagine what that's like, someone ALWAYS in your head? Remember when he tried to escape to a movie theater and Jean finds him, pops up in his thoughts, to paraphrase, "Sweetie, where are you? Why did you go to a movie without me?" I love Jean Grey as a character, but her relationship with Scott made me cringe for years. I really cheered when Scott and Emma became a couple.

Emma knows what it feels like to be controlled, she relishes freedom. Jean had no boundaries with Scott--anyone with a modicum of psych education knows, human beings have to establish boundaries and personal space. Jean's insistence on violating Scott's personal space all the time, was always scary. She'd say, she only wanted to share her love for him, or make sure he's okay, but she actually had complete access to his mind, and even if unintentionally, she could manipulate him in subtle ways. Xavier did the same thing to all the O5! He manipulated them for years! Jean learned from the master; "all for your own good" Xavier and Jean would say. A little nudge to make this decision, or that.

I'm not saying this is what happened in current X-Continuity based on what's in UNCANNY ANNUAL #1. I'm leaving it on the table, though! If the X-Office and Marvel weren't so hell-bent on vilifying Emma (and Magneto too for that matter), and doing so in dialogue that is propagandist at best, maybe I could wrap my brain around Scott's "conversion" in today's comics. But that speech, and others by Kid Cable--Marvel is being provocative and I need an alternative explanation for Cyclops' complete paradigm shift. It really looks and reads like he's rejoined a cult that he escaped, and now he's seen the "error of his ways" and he's "sorry" he doubted Xavier's Dream.
    This makes a lot of sense. And I'm sure as you know Jean has the best intentions and isn't _trying_ to influence Cyclops so much, but they were in a very co-dependent relationship, especially Cyclops who depended so much on Jean. His identity and need for approval former almost entirely around Jean and Xavier during pre-Emma days.

Does anyone remember which issue it was that Scott saw a movie without Jean? That's hilarious.

Now any mutant who has ANY method different from that of the Xavier Cult, is going to be a "villain." All mutants are either with Saint Xavier or they are enemies. Like it was in the 90s. Which is why I say again, the 90s were not a good time in the X-Books. Not a decade to emulate. The X-Office and Marvel need to stop.
    Yes, in the 90s, Magneto ripped Wolverine's bones out, and the X-Men made Wolverine look like the victim who was attacked, even though it was the X-Men that invaded Magneto's space and continuously attacked him on all fronts.
    Last edited by ButterRum; 01-23-2019 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    The way it was written makes him sound like he's calling everything he did post-Morrison a mistake. M-Day, Hope, AvX, Canada school, all of it. I don't see how that isn't a complete annihilation of the RightClops character.
    He didnt. His commentary started with AvX , not post-Morrison. Theres a large gap between the end of Morrison's run and AvX and Scott didnt disavow all of that

BANNED

He didnt. His commentary started with AvX , not post-Morrison. Theres a large gap between the end of Morrison's run and AvX and Scott didnt disavow all of that
    He was obsessed with seeing Jean while not even mentioning Emma. That suggests he considers that a mistake too.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    He was obsessed with seeing Jean while not even mentioning Emma. That suggests he considers that a mistake too.
    Because it was a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    But it wasn't..... the X-Men would have died off, and the world would have gone into a dark age if he didn't restart the X-Men with Emma!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by phoenixzero23 View Post
    The affair was. The years of being together afterwards were not.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post

What books you read? Because this has nothing to do with what happened on comics

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    That’s nothing new. He’s been regretful over how things turned out on that front even before this issue. Still he didn’t say it was a mistake. Jean was the last person he saw. It’s not off that he’d want to see her especially since it’s been years since they were both truly alive