Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default So people know Superman's adopted in-universe?

From the recent issue of Naomi:

Has this already been established?

I know pre-New 52 the general outline of his origin was public. To the point where they made a movie about him in universe that incorporated the found and raised by a kind couple aspect.

In Byrne's run, Superman came up with that ham-fisted lie that he and Clark grew up like bros raised by the Kents.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    In Byrne's run, Superman came up with that ham-fisted lie that he and Clark grew up like bros raised by the Kents.
    That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever read, I really hope that’s not canon. That takes my suspension of disbelief and just obliterates it. I’m fine with Supes telling people he’s adopted but saying that he grew up in Kansas or NAMING HIS PARENTS is way too far.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Yeah, that was dumb. It also put his parents at risk. If someone wants to go after Superman what's the first thing they're gonna do? Go after the people who raised him! I find it funny that the whole point of the reboot was to get rid of some of the sillier elements of his past and yet they kept the "he was raised on Earth and people who grew up with him are still out there somewhere" part. Even if you don't know who raised him (and they DID!) some super-villain could still hold the entire town hostage. Much as I have my issues with Johns' origin, one of the things he did that I think was kind of clever was the "myth" of the Kansas Superboy. So people have heard of him but nobody can prove he exists. Like Batman. It's not until he moves to Metropolis that people see him for the first time and say "Oh! Maybe there was something to those rumors after all!"
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    That is the dumbest thing I’ve ever read, I really hope that’s not canon. That takes my suspension of disbelief and just obliterates it. I’m fine with Supes telling people he’s adopted but saying that he grew up in Kansas or NAMING HIS PARENTS is way too far.
    I think that was an explanation Jonathan Kent rattled off to Lois after she saw Lana and Superman talking like old friends. Not that this makes it much better, but it was never a public explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I think that was an explanation Jonathan Kent rattled off to Lois after she saw Lana and Superman talking like old friends. Not that this makes it much better, but it was never a public explanation.
    Oh yeah, that was the single dumbest thing in the entire post-Crisis era, and it was never really mentioned again after that, thank Rao, so even though it was never officially retconned to the best of my knowledge, I'd hesitate to call it canonical at any point, if we take the canon to be "things the writers keep in the back of their minds as parts of the characters' histories that inform their behavior or mental state."

As for in-general, I'd say my "ideal" Superman isn't widely known to be adopted. I remember in Lois & Clark there's an early episode where Luthor discovers, as the silver lining to one of his plans going bust, that Superman was raised on Earth, and not on his homeworld as most people assume. I really like that idea, that most people just assume he's new to Earth, even though he's not.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Yeah my own preference is that people think he was raised in the Fortress of Solitude by his robots and that he just comes down from the North Pole to do good deeds. Like Santa Claus in red and blue tights. But I am ok with him saying that he grew up in America and identifies as an American as well.

I believe that he revealed that he grew up on Earth during his first interview with Lois.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I think at one point Lois mentioned it to Perry. Though how far it got beyond that, I don't know. So Perry knows that Superman was raised with Clark? Being the old school newspaperman he is, there's no way he wouldn't put two and two together.
    Assassinate Putin!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's funny you say that, because she tells Perry in Earth Stealers where that's exactly how Superman describes him, too. But Lois and Perry quickly table the conversation about Clark and Superman, Lois buries the hatchet, and then not long after Superman was confirmed out in space while Clark was in Metropolis. Chronologically the best you can give them is wondering for a few months.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    I believe that he revealed that he grew up on Earth during his first interview with Lois.
    I can only see it coming out, if at all, in an article by Lois.

The therapist may be talking generally as well. In that it's known he's an alien yet he's accepted by the people of Earth. She doesn't necessarily mean he was adopted and raised in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    It's funny you say that, because she tells Perry in Earth Stealers where that's exactly how Superman describes him, too. But Lois and Perry quickly table the conversation about Clark and Superman, Lois buries the hatchet, and then not long after Superman was confirmed out in space while Clark was in Metropolis. Chronologically the best you can give them is wondering for a few months.
    I have that book! I'll have to go back and re-read that!
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I think it's also mentioned in the "Newstime" magazine that came out around Superman's death. It even has a picture of Superman and Clark Kent together (from just outside Clark's apartment, iirc).
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/