The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default When was Superman first given the nickname "Supes" and when was it first used?

Superman has been occasionally addressed casually as "Supes" since at least the Bronze Age of Comics, but when was the nickname first used in publication? Who first addressed him as "Supes?"

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

during the 90s by Jurgens?

I don't know I'm just guessing, but it sounds like something one of his human friends said in the Jurgens run when he died.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post

I don't know I'm just guessing, but it sounds like something one of his human friends said in the Jurgens run when he died.
    It must have been must earlier than that. I encountered instances of it Pre-COIE during the early 1980s. I think Firestorm, Metamorpho, and other younger and more casual characters addressed him as "Supes" back then.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Last edited by Buried Alien; 01-25-2019 at 02:01 AM.
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Retired

Mxy was calling him Super from early on in the 1940s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Mxy was calling him Super from early on in the 1940s.
    Did you mean he called him "Supes," or did he call him "Super"? I know he called him "Super" in S:TAS.
    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    No way, I remember Byrne wrote him as being annoyed whenever someone would call him "Supes." Seemed kind of stuck up about it, honestly. That at least puts it before the '90s, and it definitely wouldn't surprise me if it was something Firestorm or Metamorpho called him like Buried Alien said either.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

BANNED

@ Buried Alien perhaps you should ask Mr. Brian Cronin for a more complete answer.

At least as far back as the late 1970s and Elliot S Maggin.

In the 1978 novel THE LAST SON OF KRYPTON, while stuck in a space jail, Luthor sarcastically asks Superman why Kal keeps referring to him by "Lex", and then asks if he may refer to Kal as "Supes" (and then suggests the moniker "Turkey Noodle").

At least, I'm 90% sure that's how that conversation went. Don't have the book anymore, but that line stuck with me.

Incredible Member

^ That reminds me-- In S:TM when Lex finishes telling Superman his plan with the missiles, doesn't he say something along the lines of "So, Supes-baby. Whaddya think?"

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Did you mean he called him "Supes," or did he call him "Super"? I know he called him "Super" in S:TAS.
    I meant "Super," but r is just one over from s in the alphabet.

"Supes" sounds like something a gangster on the old ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN would say, but I haven't been listening that close as I've been watching those episodes.