Default IS Heroclix still worth playing?

I played Heroclix about 12 years ago. I wanted to get back into it but it looks like there have been some changes. Is it still worth getting into? Does anyone else play this game?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I recently got back into the game as a collector more so than a player. The core game system is the same as are many of the abilities, but alternate team abilities, and newer figure features make for compatibility issues with earlier expansions. I'm not quite sure when they stopped using the coloured rings to denote rank (Yellow/Rookie, Blue/Experienced, Red/Veteran) but that's the main point of divergence.

Like I said, I mostly got back into it as a lot of newer comics characters I love now have figures that I wanted. They're also cheaper than a lot of pre-painted minis so they're good for DnD tokens. Gameplay wise, there's a bit of a learning curve to the post-coloured rings figures but the core is the same. If you have a local game shop that holds tournaments it might be worth checking out. There are also some solid youtube tutorials if you need general refreshment.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Yes.

There have been a lot of changes, but nothing you couldn't figure out. If there are some venues hosting the game in your area, I highly recommend attending one of their events. I'd bet good money that there will be somebody there (maybe several somebodies) who would happily guide your way back into the game.

Here are the biggest of changes:

1. Character cards and special powers.
    12 years ago, I don't believe there was such a thing as special powers in the game. They've added character cards to the game so that each individual piece can have special powers unique to that piece. Sometimes it is a combination of standard powers. Sometimes it is a twist on a standard power. Sometimes it is truly a unique ability. This has done wonders for the game, not only expanding the breadth of possibilities available, but also allowing for the inclusion of comic book characters that would have been impossible to define using only the standard powers (favorite example = Deadman). The newest iteration of the cards even have the dials reprinted on the back, so there is no benefit or need to memorize your dials.

2. Pink Powers
    An entire additional color has been added to the standard powers.

3. Big Power Creep
    Don't expect your old clix to hold up against the newer pieces. The difference between a 75 point piece released this last year and a 75 point piece from 12 years ago is enormous.

4. Rules Updates
    Get the newest update of the rules. Rules have been revised several times in the games 17 year history. Get yourself accustomed to the way it is currently being run.

Yes. This game is still fun.

The next big set release (Feb. 2019) is Marvel: Earth X, with a big Earth X theme and a sub-theme featuring a selection of second-tier Spider-Man villains, like The Enforcers, Stegron, and Mr. Negative.

My gaming group plays it casually once in a while. If you played it before, you should be fine. But we as newcomers were very confused by the rules. One friend in particular always whines about not knowing what other characters do (she's not a comic fan, natch), so she's "overwhelmed" by a large number of characters. Which is easy to do as the newer sets seem to have a lower point cost (30-60 seems to be the norm, so both teams usually have quite a few characters).

It’s worth it. I’ve been playing regularly since 2015. I love the game even though I suck at it. Mostly play the second rate villains. I’m color blind so that doesn’t help. Especially with multi-colored maps. Plus some players play meta teams all the time. As in one figure is a chase and worth 200 bucks on eBay and can wipe out your entire team. I usually don’t buy from the secondary market because everything is to expensive. I just play with what I pull out of boosters. Rarely I will buy bricks or cases where your chance of getting a chase and super rares is pretty good. I have hundreds of figures. Takes a lot of strategy to play. Good players know every character and their dials. That gives them an advantage in strategy. I just don’t have the time to study every character and dial even though it would negate some of my color blindness. I play for fun. I’m getting better all the time. One of these days I’ll play figures I need to instead of ones I want to and will do better. New players are very welcome most of the good players will take a loss just to teach the new guys. Very enjoyable game. I make a Christmas display with my figures so I get great use out of my collectibles. Plus I had a few customized by someone I know in New a York.

As for the rules? Even judges at the tournaments have to look up rules to make sure they are getting it right. There have been rule changes over the years. No one who plays knows all the rules. I keep my rule book with me every time I play. The mini one and the complete one. Plus I have an app on my phone with powers, keywords, etc.
    Last edited by Dreaded Porcupine; 05-27-2019 at 03:46 PM.

Had no idea what Heroclix was so searched it on YouTube and the first thing that comes up is a podcast with the Guy Who played the homeland agent working with team Scorpion on Scorpion. Lol had no idea Scot Porter was big in Geek culture thought he was just an actor. Or at the very least balls deep in whatever this game is.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

I remember when the game exploded on the scene and in one comic shop (sadly gone out of business years ago) had it running. One day a guy walked up and bought in front of me a couple hundred bucks worth of Heroclix and described the game etc to me . Or he tried to. I basically joked I already had a big enough hobby in comics to get involved lol.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Had no idea what Heroclix was so searched it on YouTube and the first thing that comes up is a podcast with the Guy Who played the homeland agent working with team Scorpion on Scorpion. Lol had no idea Scot Porter was big in Geek culture thought he was just an actor. Or at the very least balls deep in whatever this game is.
    I literally only know the guy from his unboxing videos. That's wild.

Google tells me he's been doing voice work for Marvel, and DC properties for almost a decade. He's voiced: Cyclops, Nightwing, Scarlet Spider, Star-Lord, Superboy, Aqualad, Winter Soldier, and others.
    Last edited by Personamanx; 05-30-2019 at 07:17 AM.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

The figures have greatly improved.

I do wish they would digitize the game.
    They tried once before, but it was a mess.
    Maybe if they got an established game studio to work on it.

The collectable figures element would translate over to mobile perfectly.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I'm more of a collector than a player, I'm waaaaaaaay out of the loop, gotta play with myself sometimes , It would be sad if it wasn't such fun!.

Check out the youtube tutorials that Personamanx mentions, there is a channel that is quite polished and impressive.

Scott Porters unboxing videos have been going on for a couple of years, he knows his comics to give the dude his dues. I'm not a lover of such flagrant braggarts unboxing stuff on youtube, personally but hey I don't like to judge, each to their own, weirdos.

A Black Panther and the Illuminati set has just been released, check out the unit section on hcrealms for all your character wonders.