Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Legendary Godzilla, King Kong, King of the Monsters, King Kong vs Godzilla.
    Oh good, I thought you meant the modern-day Universal Monsterverse, which crashed and burned.

Astonishing Member

Logan — It’s like ‘Last Of Us’ only a lot less interesting. I give it kudos for being the first superhero film to be nominated by the Oscars for “Best Adapted Screenplay” but I personally found the movie to be emotionally hallow and the final villian to be a bit of a let-down after the much more charismatic villain it had introduced before got shafted. I’ve never particularly cared about Wolverine so maybe that’s part of the reason I’m overall underwhelmed since I’m of the opinion that the character works best as part of an ensemble not on his own. Wolverine on his own doesn’t interest me just like having Han Solo on his own doesn’t interest me.

Winter Solider — The amount of immense praise this almost always gets is rather confounding to me. WS is often seen as one of the smarter Marvel movies because it attempts to tackle complex and topical political themes but I feel it handles them in a very superficial way that just didn't work. I think its interesting to point out is that this movie did come out right around the same time of the NSA/Wikileaks scandal broke out so it certainly played in the films favor that it got to appear so topical. Sadly, the film doesn’t examine implications of the topics it’s addressing enough to really work as Marvel's first political thriller. In my view, the revelation of SHIELD being run by Hydra is a bit of a cop-out since it robs the film of the opportunity to address the gray areas in order to boil down the conflict to super generic comic book Nazi stand-ins(the "Heil Hydra!" line is one of the most facepalm worthy lines in comic book movie history) versus good ol' fashioned Steve Rogers who's almost always in the right about everything. That twist really simplifies the conflict and paints it way too black and white with no nuance at all. And the third act is pretty much standard Marvel fare with explosions and the wise-cracks, and the film tries to treat the Bucky reveal like its supposed to be some big deal when I barely even remember Bucky from the First Avenger so it falls flat. And I also think the action is a bit over-hyped as well since its essentially a sanitized, bloodless, PG-13 version of the The Raid's much more gritty, raw, and overall impressive hand-to-hand fight scenes. The elevator fight scene is about the only impressive thing about this film for me. Outside that, its more or less just another formulaic Marvel film that's a bit more thematically ambitious but it's a shame that ambition is not enough to overcome the inherent weakness of the Marvel formula.

Empire Strikes Back — Choosing this I know would be considered rather blasphemous but don’t get me wrong I think this movie is very good, but I just prefer ‘A New Hope’ as I think it’s tighter and more focused. I just don’t care for Han & Leia’s romance, really. Though unlike their onscreen mother and father Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman; Ford and Fisher do have chemistry with each other but I just don’t care for their story here which is just them being chased around space by the Empire. Plus it has that infamous incestuous kiss between Leia and Luke(if only they knew!)...not really a knock against the film just throwing this out there as a joke. And I guess I’m the only one in existence who found CP3PO to be just as irritating as Jar Jar. I think he’s most annoying here than he’s ever been in any of the other films. The film has a lot of great, thought-provoking, force lessons that Yoda gives Luke that resonate with you but I don’t feel it really has much else since it’s story is essentially Luke training with a short green creature while Leia and Han are chased around space. It’s great in many respects but I’d even take Return Of The Jedi over this one(go easy on me!). It’s a brilliant film that's influence is still felt today. Love the Luke/Yoda parts. Don’t care for the romance between Han and Leia and I feel drags the movie down as well as the comedic relief with CP3PO. However, the end reveal of Luke’s true parentage is still one of the best(if not best) plot twist of all time.

Civil War - Didn’t think this was a good movie at all. Spider-Man is enjoyable and sporadically I even re-watch a lot of the Spidey stuff on You Tube but that’s not enough to salvage this film for me. And this film turned me from being somewhat indifferent on Bucky to outright detesting the character. I also felt the movie didn’t look very cinematic and looked pretty televisual for a movie that cost millions of dollars to make. I didn’t care for that airport sequence which looked horrible and felt really tacked on. And I dislike the villain. I get what they were going for with him but I find him boring as hell and roll my eyes whatever he’s on screen. It’s beyond me why a lot of people say he’s one of the best comic book villains but all art is subjective so what can I do?

X2- Aside from that opening scene with Nightcrawler, I found this to be a boring slog and none of the main X-Men besides Wolverine really stick. Cyclops is a total bore, as well as the rest of the X-team not named Logan, Jean Grey’s sacrifice at the end meant nothing to me since she was barely a character to begin with. I felt it very poorly done and lacking in any emotional weight. The ensemble is not as well balanced as The Avengers films where almost every character gets their moment to shine.

First Class — Matthew Vaughn gives the X-franchise a nice shot in the arm it needed after Last Stand(which I actually liked a lot) and Micheal Fassbender and James McAvoy are very good and worthy successors to Mckellan and Stewart as Xavier and Magneto but as a whole I found the movie to be quite tedious and plodding. January Jones is one of the worst cases of miscasting I’ve ever seen(even a plank of wood has more charisma) and Shaw played by Kevin Bacon is a tremendously underwhelming one-note villain and frankly couldn't less about his motivations. And Jennifer Lawrence, while she isn’t as bad in the role of Mystique as she would be in the sequels(especially in Apocalypse where's pretty much sleepwalking through the entire thing) she’s still pretty uncompelling in the role, and I found myself bored most of the time she was on screen. Granted, she’s not as badly miscast as Jones is since at times she can channel Raven’s militant fierceness from the comics but most of time I found her performance unengaging. Also, while I admit to not being a big X-Men comic fan even I dislike some of the changes they made to this character since making this duplicitous and nefarious character into a childhood friend of Xavier just seems like a unnecessary change to me. I also don't feel the rest of the other Mutants aside from Beast, Xavier, Magneto make much of an impression and almost come across as background characters. That might have been that way by design but it would refreshing to give more spotlight to characters we haven't seen done on film before. Really uneven film.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 01-30-2019 at 04:54 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

What about Civil War made you hate Bucky ?

BANNED

Thor Ragnarok, this movie is awful

Extraordinary Member

Peter Jackson's King Kong. The more recent version is way better.

Wizard of Oz. Those stinkin' munchkins should get a life and stop being so obsessed with witches. The Wizard and Glinda were both Grade A dicks. Dorothy put hundreds of flying monkeys and Winkiemen permanently out of work. Auntie Em and Uncle Henry are poopy-head parents who couldn't stand up for their daughter and abandoned her completely at the first sign of a tornado. Same goes for Hunk and the other two farmhands - jerks! Dorothy completely disrupted to natural order in Oz, from stirring up the idiot munchkins to chasing the Emerald City's leader away to killing perfectly peaceful wicked witches. The witch literally did nothing wrong except defend herself for the entire movie! That field the scarecrow was in no longer has protection of its corn. The woodsman is out of work. The lion, a top level predator, no longer inhabits his forest leaving the place to be overrun by lower level prey animals. What a mess!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Pretty much every Marvel movie ever made outside of the outright bombs. They're fun films. But by god are they overrated as fck.

Same for the Dark Knight Trilogy. I think they're, at the end of the day, better crafted films than Marvel's fare, but they're overrated too.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-29-2019 at 07:24 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Casablanca. Snooze fest.

BANNED

Infinity Wars, the so-called heroes sacrificed half of the universe’s lives to try and save an artificial intelligence.
    Really a dumb plot.

Extraordinary Member

Another 1: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

This is considered a big turning point where the movies 'got good,' but I just don't see it. The change in aesthetics is neutral at best since the look of the previous movies was already great and if anything the switch was just jarring. The pacing was off, as much of the movie had slow pacing while the one scene that should have had slow pacing, the reveal of the true servant of Voldemort, was rushed through and therefore robbed of its impact. The replacement Dumbledore was horrible. It's one of the better books, but to me this is the movie that is the biggest downgrade from the book it's adapting and one of the weakest of the 8 movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders View Post
    Infinity Wars, the so-called heroes sacrificed half of the universe’s lives to try and save an artificial intelligence.
    Really a dumb plot.
    That wasn't the plot though. Their efforts to save Vision and their efforts to stop Thanos were one in the same. They weren't sacrificing any lives.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    That wasn't the plot though. Their efforts to save Vision and their efforts to stop Thanos were one in the same. They weren't sacrificing any lives.
    That’s how it turned out. Killing Vision from the start would have saved everybody. They trying to save Vision’s life by risking half the universe. What ever happen to the greater good?
    Bad writing, bad CGI, dumb plot, overrated movie.
    Last edited by Raiders; 01-30-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raiders View Post
    That’s how it turned out. Killing Vision from the start would have saved everybody. They trying to save Vision’s life by risking half the universe. What ever happen to the greater good?
    Bad writing, bad CGI, dumb plot, overrated movie.
    It didn't matter when they destroyed him because once Strange forfeited the Time stone, Thanos could recover the Mind stone whenever he wanted.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet View Post
    It didn't matter when they destroyed him because once Strange forfeited the Time stone, Thanos could recover the Mind stone whenever he wanted.
    That’s the other plot hole, why they didn’t destroy the Time stone, because Strange promise to protect it.
    Really, protecting a stone (because of a promise) that can be used to wipeout half of the universe, doesn’t make any sense.

Spider-Man: Homecoming- Constantly gets put near the top of the MCU rankings and it just didn't click for me that much. Outside of the Vulture reveal, I found the movie incredibly overhyped. Is it still good? Yes. Is it near the bottom of my personal MCU rankings? Yes.

Raimi Spider-Man Trilogy- I just don't get it. I even hated them when they came out. Toby is so cringe for me I can barely stand it. I really just don't get it but they so are so beloved (especially 2) that I just assume I'm the weird one.

Jumanji 2: It was funny in spots but I was told it was so good and it made so much money... by the time I watched it I was incredibly let down.
    Black Panther Discord Server: https://discord.gg/SA3hQerktm

T'challa's Greatest Comic Book Feats: http://blackpanthermarvel.blogspot.c...her-feats.html