Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 147
  1. #1
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    290

    Default Movies that aren't as great as they are hyped to be

    In recent years, there are a lot of movies that have gotten more praise that they should have. One example is Get Out. It did do something different, I'll give it that. However, I wasn't really all that impressed. Also, you just knew from the beginning that something was wrong with the main character's girlfriend, so the ending wasn't that surprising. Same thing with Happy Death Day; it was obvious who the villain was from the beginning.

  2. #2
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,697

    Default

    Get Out i thought was excellent and one of my favorite films of 2017, best horror film of 2017 with Tragedy Girls, Get Out was a much better film than IT (2017) and Jordan Peele seems to be a new fresh horror talent as the horror genre needs new talent and new horror films as i do support independent and foreign horror genre and would sometimes say "fuck the mainstream but some exceptions" as in mainstream we had exceptions like Get Out and Quiet Place and Conjuring 1 and 2 being lightning in a bottle and wake up calls to the mainstream horror genre to get off it's fat ass and do something different than another prequel/sequel to a long dead franchise like Child's Play, Elm Street, Saw, Scream, Texas Chainsaw Massacre etc. as some franchises need to rest in peace even their icons and do something new even create new horror franchises/icons and something new like Get Out and Quiet Place and something different than another remake like Poltergeist which thankfully flopped like most remakes do and all. I mean Get Out had charismatic likable characters which is an important thing for my film enjoyment and all plus good story and all that.

    Now Creed is not that great! has a dislikable main character who is no where near as charismatic and likable like Rocky Balboa himself and a good dynamic between Rocky and Adonis and superb direction is wasted in an overlong, over melodramatic drama that misses way too many of it's punches, i felt the franchise ended with Balboa.

    The Dark Knight Trilogy: The Dark Knight Trilogy(I like Batman Begins and The Dark Knight quite a bit. I hate The Dark Knight Rises. But that's not the reason why they are included here in the top spot. The reason why is that I truly do not feel any of these films are anywhere near as great or as amazing as IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes or what the general public says they are. These are not the pinnacle of comic book filmmaking to me. They aren't even in my top 100. The most overrated trilogy of films by far. They are not the masterpieces that so many fans and critics say they are. Nor are they even the best Batman films. At least not to me anyway.

    Citizen Kane: Greatest movie ever made my ass. Overrated as hell, boring snoozefest that's only crowning achievement is it's technical advancements and impact on filmmaking techniques. Take that away from the film? And the movie is an empty shell about a rich asshole.

    Raging Bull: Far from one of the best sports movies ever made. It barely has any boxing in it. Most of the film is about how much of a dickhole Jake LaMotta is and he has more bouts with his wife than he does in the ring. Jake is just an insufferable asshole and I know that's the point. But that's what kills the film for me. I can't stand this guy. And therefore I can't stand the film either. It's a well shot, and well crafted movie, don't get me wrong. But it is so hard to watch for me. It's a movie about one of the biggest assholes I have ever seen on cinema. The man abuses his wife, drinks, smokes, and all around ruins his life for the whole running time. The one boxing scene is cool and it is one of the best ever put on film, but the rest of the movie? It just isn't my cup of tea. I find it hard to really enjoy a movie about a giant prick who also happens to be a boxer. Give me Gladiator (1992) or Rocky 1 2 3 4 and Balboa anytime.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Soubhagya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Get Out i thought was excellent and one of my favorite films of 2017, best horror film of 2017 with Tragedy Girls, Get Out was a much better film than IT (2017) and Jordan Peele seems to be a new fresh horror talent as the horror genre needs new talent and new horror films as i do support independent and foreign horror genre and would sometimes say "fuck the mainstream but some exceptions" as in mainstream we had exceptions like Get Out and Quiet Place and Conjuring 1 and 2 being lightning in a bottle and wake up calls to the mainstream horror genre to get off it's fat ass and do something different than another prequel/sequel to a long dead franchise like Child's Play, Elm Street, Saw, Scream, Texas Chainsaw Massacre etc. as some franchises need to rest in peace even their icons and do something new even create new horror franchises/icons and something new like Get Out and Quiet Place and something different than another remake like Poltergeist which thankfully flopped like most remakes do and all. I mean Get Out had charismatic likable characters which is an important thing for my film enjoyment and all plus good story and all that.

    Now Creed is not that great! has a dislikable main character who is no where near as charismatic and likable like Rocky Balboa himself and a good dynamic between Rocky and Adonis and superb direction is wasted in an overlong, over melodramatic drama that misses way too many of it's punches, i felt the franchise ended with Balboa.

    The Dark Knight Trilogy: The Dark Knight Trilogy(I like Batman Begins and The Dark Knight quite a bit. I hate The Dark Knight Rises. But that's not the reason why they are included here in the top spot. The reason why is that I truly do not feel any of these films are anywhere near as great or as amazing as IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes or what the general public says they are. These are not the pinnacle of comic book filmmaking to me. They aren't even in my top 100. The most overrated trilogy of films by far. They are not the masterpieces that so many fans and critics say they are. Nor are they even the best Batman films. At least not to me anyway.

    Citizen Kane: Greatest movie ever made my ass. Overrated as hell, boring snoozefest that's only crowning achievement is it's technical advancements and impact on filmmaking techniques. Take that away from the film? And the movie is an empty shell about a rich asshole.

    Raging Bull: Far from one of the best sports movies ever made. It barely has any boxing in it. Most of the film is about how much of a dickhole Jake LaMotta is and he has more bouts with his wife than he does in the ring. Jake is just an insufferable asshole and I know that's the point. But that's what kills the film for me. I can't stand this guy. And therefore I can't stand the film either. It's a well shot, and well crafted movie, don't get me wrong. But it is so hard to watch for me. It's a movie about one of the biggest assholes I have ever seen on cinema. The man abuses his wife, drinks, smokes, and all around ruins his life for the whole running time. The one boxing scene is cool and it is one of the best ever put on film, but the rest of the movie? It just isn't my cup of tea. I find it hard to really enjoy a movie about a giant prick who also happens to be a boxer. Give me Gladiator (1992) or Rocky 1 2 3 4 and Balboa anytime.
    You speak of Citizen Kane and you complain about people' s lack of interest in quality films. Sorry friend, you sort of lost me there. I disagree. Films are works of art. And hence they are subjective.

    Citizen Kane is a marvellous technical achievement. True. But it is also a fantastic movie in its own right. The rise and fall of a distant yet relatable man. I was moved by this tragic story where the protagonist's worst enemy is his own self. Or do we need to see that literally where Logan is killed by his own clone.

    Sorry my friend. Even if you mistrust RT and others, there's no denying that Citizen Kane is a great film. Its alright if you don't like it. (And its the point of this thread). All films are subjective. Of all films i have watched so far it very easily enters my top 20. Heck it may even be in my top 10.


    But i have to reluctantly agree with Raging Bull. I wanted to love it. Its considered among the greatest films. But it did not click with me. The protagonist is too unlikeable. I think it has more high points then you mentioned. I loved the brothers fighting. That felt more raw then that excellent boxing scene. The scene with him in the cell. The last scene. It has some powerful scenes. In my opinion Raging Bull is not really a sports movie. Its more a biography of a boxer. Others say its about his jealousy. Its a very good movie imo. But i don't love it.

    Speaking about unlikeable protagonists i did nkt like Nightcrawler starring Jake Gyllenhaal. I heard that its a wonderful movie. Its interesting. But i did not really like it.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-25-2019 at 09:04 AM.

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member Soubhagya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    3,578

    Default

    In my opinion Ghostbusters wasn't so great. I heard that its a fantastic film. Its fandom is really strong. I thought there would surely be something special in it. But i found it to be an okayish comedy. A good watch. Enjoyable. But far from a great movie.

  5. #5
    Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,889

    Default

    The Descent and It Follows.

    I didn’t think First Class was great at first either, but it grew on me.
    Last edited by Divine Spark; 01-26-2019 at 01:16 AM.

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member Cyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    Raging Bull: Far from one of the best sports movies ever made. It barely has any boxing in it.
    Hoooboy.

    I mean, you can like and dislike whatever you want, but THAT's your lede?

  7. #7
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Get out was good. the movie was not hyped unless you count people wanting to promote diversity any chance they get . a hyped up hobby.

  8. #8
    Extraordinary Member Cyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,656

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    Get out was good. the movie was not hyped unless you count people wanting to promote diversity any chance they get . a hyped up hobby.
    You're missing not just a huge amount of the story, but also the whole intent and commentary behind it, according to Jordan Peele himself. Unless you're claiming that you know the film, the writing, the material, and the purpose behind it more than the guy who did it all.

    And, do you just drop into every thread to complain about diversity efforts? Because then that's trolling.

  9. #9
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    211

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    You're missing not just a huge amount of the story, but also the whole intent and commentary behind it, according to Jordan Peele himself. Unless you're claiming that you know the film, the writing, the material, and the purpose behind it more than the guy who did it all.

    And, do you just drop into every thread to complain about diversity efforts? Because then that's trolling.
    Get Out was a good movie, the people I knew who usually claim it was overrated are the people who saw it as a diversity tool only. diversity is a hot topic so any film with race commentary kind of gets sucked in. Am I glad Django unchained and 12 years a slave came out when Obama was still president, those were great movies, if it was to come out now the movies will be called great not because it is actually great objectively but because of diversity. Get Out unfortunately became a victim of the...,its only good because of diversity. isn't this the movie that had a near perfect 100% rt score until the first rotten came in, the critics was called a racist immediately? diversity or not, it was a good movie. I see it more as a modern take of guess who is coming to dinner. If anyone is trolling with diversity, its the media and critics.
    Last edited by Jeramas; 01-25-2019 at 03:51 PM.

  10. #10
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    12,801

    Default

    Debbie Does Dallas.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  11. #11
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    You speak of Citizen Kane and you complain about people' s lack of interest in quality films. Sorry friend, you sort of lost me there. I disagree. Films are works of art. And hence they are subjective.

    Citizen Kane is a marvellous technical achievement. True. But it is also a fantastic movie in its own right. The rise and fall of a distant yet relatable man. I was moved by this tragic story where the protagonist's worst enemy is his own self. Or do we need to see that literally where Logan is killed by his own clone.

    Sorry my friend. Even if you mistrust RT and others, there's no denying that Citizen Kane is a great film. Its alright if you don't like it. (And its the point of this thread). All films are subjective. Of all films i have watched so far it very easily enters my top 20. Heck it may even be in my top 10.


    But i have to reluctantly agree with Raging Bull. I wanted to love it. Its considered among the greatest films. But it did not click with me. The protagonist is too unlikeable. I think it has more high points then you mentioned. I loved the brothers fighting. That felt more raw then that excellent boxing scene. The scene with him in the cell. The last scene. It has some powerful scenes. In my opinion Raging Bull is not really a sports movie. Its more a biography of a boxer. Others say its about his jealousy. Its a very good movie imo. But i don't love it.

    Speaking about unlikeable protagonists i did nkt like Nightcrawler starring Jake Gyllenhaal. I heard that its a wonderful movie. Its interesting. But i did not really like it.

    This video from one of the best youtube critics who is also one of my friends on there/facebook speaks about Citizen Kane with honesty and truth as he has high standards in entertainment needs like me and better than any RT critic as he too is passionate about movies like me and a film student in college in film studies. Me and him are alike as we enjoy films with charismatic leads, likable characters, quality entertainment and all.
    Last edited by TomServofan; 01-26-2019 at 12:57 AM.

  12. #12
    Invincible Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post

    This video from one of the best youtube critics who is also one of my friends on there/facebook speaks about Citizen Kane with honesty and truth as he has high standards in entertainment needs like me and better than any RT critic as he too is passionate about movies like me and a film student in college in film studies. Me and him are alike as we enjoy films with charismatic leads, likable characters, quality entertainment and all.
    That's like saying "One of the best hitters on the tee ball team."

    Doesn't really mean they are actually a worthwhile hitter/critic.

  13. #13
    Extraordinary Member Jackalope89's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    8,319

    Default

    Frozen. It's good, sure. But the entire film is predicted on the parents either being complete idiots or flat out emotionally abusive when it came to Elsa. Why? Because right after the magic rock trolls told them that love is key, and that fear is the worst thing for her powers, what do they do?

    Make sure she's terrified of her powers for the next 15 or so years.

  14. #14
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    But i have to reluctantly agree with Raging Bull. I wanted to love it. Its considered among the greatest films. But it did not click with me. The protagonist is too unlikeable. I think it has more high points then you mentioned. I loved the brothers fighting. That felt more raw then that excellent boxing scene. The scene with him in the cell. The last scene. It has some powerful scenes. In my opinion Raging Bull is not really a sports movie. Its more a biography of a boxer. Others say its about his jealousy. Its a very good movie imo. But i don't love it.

    Speaking about unlikeable protagonists i did nkt like Nightcrawler starring Jake Gyllenhaal. I heard that its a wonderful movie. Its interesting. But i did not really like it.
    So you agree the main character was an abusive dislikable prick while Rocky Balboa is actually a likable charismatic guy?

    Here's some Deep Thoughts.

    What is happening to the internet individual?

    No seriously. What is happening? To me it seems like as the days go by, the internet individual is becoming a rarer thing to see nowadays. With the rise of the internet? Has come an uprising of borg like collectives within fanbases that have seemingly overtaken discussions and overall mainstream opinions on media and other forms of entertainment.

    And a big reason why this is happening, is that so many opinions are thrown at us lately from every which way but loose on the internet, that it has become next to impossible to not be influenced by other people's opinions and form your own truly individual opinion on something.

    Let's take opinions on films for example. So many people nowadays use reviews by Jeremy Jahns, Chris Stuckmaan, Nostalgia Critic etc. etc. to not only validate their own opinions on films but use them as proof as to why their opinions are correct. This happens too with sites like Rotten Tomatoes, and Metacritc.

    And it's gotten so out of hand now, that a growing number of people don't even actually bother to form their own opinions on films. They let opinions from critics on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic form their opinions for them. I know people who don't even watch certain films if they don't have a fresh rating on rotten tomatoes or a good review by Chris Stuckmann or Jeremy Jahns. These people are actively choosing to not be individuals. To not form their own opinions on films. And are also trying to make this the norm.

    And that honestly scares me. The more popular this form of analyzing, discussing or even watching media becomes? The more and more the individual dies out. And the collective assimilates the individual.

    Some films aren't even really that bad. But because the popular majority and the mainstream critics say they are? And some people hear this same opinion over and over again? Some people start to believe that these films are that bad. That they really are the worst. Without ever really feeling that they were one of the worst films they had ever seen to begin with.

    A good example of this, is Ben Affleck's infamous Daredevil movie. I honestly never hated the movie. And that includes the theatrical cut. I saw it in the theater when it came out and I had fun with it and I honestly thought it was one of the better Marvel movies at the time. And when you look back at it? It really was one of the better marvel adaptations at the time. It was definitely a lot more accurate to the comics than the last time Daredevil showed up in live action on the late 80's tv movie, The Trial Of The Incredible Hulk. Was it a great film? Nah. But it was an entertaining one. Hell it was a decent sized hit when it came out. And I honestly do not remember that many people hating it either. Even the critics. I think Ebert even gave a thumbs up if I remember correctly.

    But years later something changed. Reviews from popular internet critics like The Nostalgia Critic and others starting popping out saying it was garbage and one of the worst marvel movies ever. And then the consensus on the film started to change as well. Even friends I knew personally who liked the film when they saw it in the theater started to say it was a terrible film and a piece of shit. And I had watched it plenty of times since I saw it in theater and still had fun with it. I even saw the director's cut later and that blew me away and became one of my favorite marvel movies ever.

    But it's now the popular consensus to say Daredevil was a bad movie. And not only a bad movie, but one of the worst comic book adaptations ever. And this really came full circle with the release of the Netflix series. And I honestly don't understand that at all. Why is this film considered by so many to be one of the worst superhero films of all time? When we live in a world where abominations like Steel, Catwoman, Batman & Robin, and Elektra exist? How much of this is just people agreeing with the collective and not wanting to disturb the status quo? And how much of this is real genuine feelings and hate?

    It's a legitimate question if you ask me. That I honestly don't know the real answer to. But I do have a hunch that the number of people that hate it just because so and so did is a lot bigger than you might think. And this is not just exclusive to bad movies. It includes good ones as well.

    How about Citizen Kane for example. It's widely considered by many film scholars to be the greatest film ever made. And because these esteemed film scholars agree and say it is? Not very many people question their opinion on it and actually accept it as the closest thing to fact. This is even taught in film schools. Whether a film is great or not? Is subjective. It should never in my mind be considered in the same breath as a history fact. I personally think it is not even close to being the greatest film ever made. It's one of the greatest films ever made in terms of film making techniques and in terms of impact. But that doesn't make it the defacto unquestioned greatest film of all time in my mind. But for the most part? This point of view is silenced by the majority. And in some cases encouraged and asked to be silenced. And that's just disturbing.

    And I am not saying that the individual on the internet is dead. Far from it. It's alive. But it seems like nowadays the individual is outnumbered by a collective. A group think mob who attacks and belittles anyone who dares stray away from the pack. And this leads to the individual trying to fight back or yell even louder to mixed results. And in some cases? Even willingly be assimilated because they don't want controversy.

    Remember the death threats fans of The Dark Knight and Christopher Nolan gave to critics before The Dark Knight Rises was even released? I do. It was ridiculous. And what did most of these said critics rate the film? A unanimous over 90 percent rating on rotten tomatoes. And some of which were clearly bullshit and the results of critics cow towing to the fans because they were afraid of creating controversy and having the collective attack them for daring to say The Dark Knight Rises sucked. And on the flip side? The rotten tomatoes scores for the Ghostbusters reboot (aka stinkbusters in my view as i'm not calling it Ghostbusters and doesn't deserve to be called Ghostbusters). A fresh rating, with a majority of reviews just wimping out and pandering to the feminists by saying it was ok, so they don't hurt anyone's feelings or incur the wrath of the collective.

    This type of behavior worries me a lot too. This will cause the individual to die out even faster. Because no one will have the guts to be honest anymore out of fear of ridicule, or insults from keyboard warriors on the internet. And it leads to people who honestly think a film or some piece of media was ok to lean towards whatever extreme is the most prevalent and popular out of fear of rejection and slander. It also leads to people being afraid to even lean towards film or media being good or bad because of the same reasons as well. So they just say it's ok. To ride a fine line and not rock the boat.

    The Mob is starting to rule on social media and the internet. Even more than it did before. Which makes the individual so much more important. And if you can, try as hard as possible to form your own unique perspective on things. So to whoever is reading this? Do not be afraid of being honest. Say how you truly feel about something. No matter what other people might think about it. Be yourself. Be an individual. Don't be a part of the collective. There's too many borgs around as it is.

  15. #15
    Invincible Member numberthirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    22,178

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    So you agree the main character was an abusive dislikable prick while Rocky Balboa is actually a likable charismatic guy?

    ...

    Let's take opinions on films for example. So many people nowadays use reviews by Jeremy Jahns, Chris Stuckmaan, Nostalgia Critic etc. etc. to not only validate their own opinions on films but use them as proof as to why their opinions are correct. This happens too with sites like Rotten Tomatoes, and Metacritc.
    You mean like this?

    Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post

    This video from one of the best youtube critics who is also one of my friends on there/facebook speaks about Citizen Kane with honesty and truth as he has high standards in entertainment needs like me and better than any RT critic as he too is passionate about movies like me and a film student in college in film studies. Me and him are alike as we enjoy films with charismatic leads, likable characters, quality entertainment and all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •