Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I don't understand how anyone can't love Raging Bull. It has some of the greatest performances of all time and it's also one of the funniest movies of all time. Towards the end it gets so uncomfortable, I just love it.

To anyone who doesn't like the movie you're gonna force me to make a come back...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    I don't understand how anyone can't love Raging Bull. It has some of the greatest performances of all time and it's also one of the funniest movies of all time. Towards the end it gets so uncomfortable, I just love it.

To anyone who doesn't like the movie you're gonna force me to make a come back...

Compared to the fabulous Taxi Driver it felt like a letdown. I adore Taxi Driver. Its moody and electrifying. I don't know why but Raging Bull did not click with me like that. What you say is true. Robert DeNiro in flow is like a force of nature. But i just don't love the film itself like i love Taxi Driver. Which is fine by me as i don't love most films as i love Taxi Driver. I like it. I like it a lot more then what my posts may convey. But i remember a sense of dissapointment when it ended.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    So you agree the main character was an abusive dislikable prick while Rocky Balboa is actually a likable charismatic guy?

Here's some Deep Thoughts.

What is happening to the internet individual?

No seriously. What is happening? To me it seems like as the days go by, the internet individual is becoming a rarer thing to see nowadays. With the rise of the internet? Has come an uprising of borg like collectives within fanbases that have seemingly overtaken discussions and overall mainstream opinions on media and other forms of entertainment.

And a big reason why this is happening, is that so many opinions are thrown at us lately from every which way but loose on the internet, that it has become next to impossible to not be influenced by other people's opinions and form your own truly individual opinion on something.

Let's take opinions on films for example. So many people nowadays use reviews by Jeremy Jahns, Chris Stuckmaan, Nostalgia Critic etc. etc. to not only validate their own opinions on films but use them as proof as to why their opinions are correct. This happens too with sites like Rotten Tomatoes, and Metacritc.

And it's gotten so out of hand now, that a growing number of people don't even actually bother to form their own opinions on films. They let opinions from critics on Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic form their opinions for them. I know people who don't even watch certain films if they don't have a fresh rating on rotten tomatoes or a good review by Chris Stuckmann or Jeremy Jahns. These people are actively choosing to not be individuals. To not form their own opinions on films. And are also trying to make this the norm.

And that honestly scares me. The more popular this form of analyzing, discussing or even watching media becomes? The more and more the individual dies out. And the collective assimilates the individual.

Some films aren't even really that bad. But because the popular majority and the mainstream critics say they are? And some people hear this same opinion over and over again? Some people start to believe that these films are that bad. That they really are the worst. Without ever really feeling that they were one of the worst films they had ever seen to begin with.

A good example of this, is Ben Affleck's infamous Daredevil movie. I honestly never hated the movie. And that includes the theatrical cut. I saw it in the theater when it came out and I had fun with it and I honestly thought it was one of the better Marvel movies at the time. And when you look back at it? It really was one of the better marvel adaptations at the time. It was definitely a lot more accurate to the comics than the last time Daredevil showed up in live action on the late 80's tv movie, The Trial Of The Incredible Hulk. Was it a great film? Nah. But it was an entertaining one. Hell it was a decent sized hit when it came out. And I honestly do not remember that many people hating it either. Even the critics. I think Ebert even gave a thumbs up if I remember correctly.

But years later something changed. Reviews from popular internet critics like The Nostalgia Critic and others starting popping out saying it was garbage and one of the worst marvel movies ever. And then the consensus on the film started to change as well. Even friends I knew personally who liked the film when they saw it in the theater started to say it was a terrible film and a piece of ****. And I had watched it plenty of times since I saw it in theater and still had fun with it. I even saw the director's cut later and that blew me away and became one of my favorite marvel movies ever.

But it's now the popular consensus to say Daredevil was a bad movie. And not only a bad movie, but one of the worst comic book adaptations ever. And this really came full circle with the release of the Netflix series. And I honestly don't understand that at all. Why is this film considered by so many to be one of the worst superhero films of all time? When we live in a world where abominations like Steel, Catwoman, Batman & Robin, and Elektra exist? How much of this is just people agreeing with the collective and not wanting to disturb the status quo? And how much of this is real genuine feelings and hate?

It's a legitimate question if you ask me. That I honestly don't know the real answer to. But I do have a hunch that the number of people that hate it just because so and so did is a lot bigger than you might think. And this is not just exclusive to bad movies. It includes good ones as well.

How about Citizen Kane for example. It's widely considered by many film scholars to be the greatest film ever made. And because these esteemed film scholars agree and say it is? Not very many people question their opinion on it and actually accept it as the closest thing to fact. This is even taught in film schools. Whether a film is great or not? Is subjective. It should never in my mind be considered in the same breath as a history fact. I personally think it is not even close to being the greatest film ever made. It's one of the greatest films ever made in terms of film making techniques and in terms of impact. But that doesn't make it the defacto unquestioned greatest film of all time in my mind. But for the most part? This point of view is silenced by the majority. And in some cases encouraged and asked to be silenced. And that's just disturbing.

And I am not saying that the individual on the internet is dead. Far from it. It's alive. But it seems like nowadays the individual is outnumbered by a collective. A group think mob who attacks and belittles anyone who dares stray away from the pack. And this leads to the individual trying to fight back or yell even louder to mixed results. And in some cases? Even willingly be assimilated because they don't want controversy.

Remember the death threats fans of The Dark Knight and Christopher Nolan gave to critics before The Dark Knight Rises was even released? I do. It was ridiculous. And what did most of these said critics rate the film? A unanimous over 90 percent rating on rotten tomatoes. And some of which were clearly bullshit and the results of critics cow towing to the fans because they were afraid of creating controversy and having the collective attack them for daring to say The Dark Knight Rises sucked. And on the flip side? The rotten tomatoes scores for the Ghostbusters reboot (aka stinkbusters in my view as i'm not calling it Ghostbusters and doesn't deserve to be called Ghostbusters). A fresh rating, with a majority of reviews just wimping out and pandering to the feminists by saying it was ok, so they don't hurt anyone's feelings or incur the wrath of the collective.

This type of behavior worries me a lot too. This will cause the individual to die out even faster. Because no one will have the guts to be honest anymore out of fear of ridicule, or insults from keyboard warriors on the internet. And it leads to people who honestly think a film or some piece of media was ok to lean towards whatever extreme is the most prevalent and popular out of fear of rejection and slander. It also leads to people being afraid to even lean towards film or media being good or bad because of the same reasons as well. So they just say it's ok. To ride a fine line and not rock the boat.

The Mob is starting to rule on social media and the internet. Even more than it did before. Which makes the individual so much more important. And if you can, try as hard as possible to form your own unique perspective on things. So to whoever is reading this? Do not be afraid of being honest. Say how you truly feel about something. No matter what other people might think about it. Be yourself. Be an individual. Don't be a part of the collective. There's too many borgs around as it is.
    Are we ever truly individuals?

Think about it. From the lap of the mother to the lap of death we are always influenced by others in the society. We have certain characteristics of our own (which is also influenced to a degree by others) and we form groups and friends based on that. You denied the RTs, Metacritic, etc. And you valued this youtube personality. Which is great. I have zero issues with that. But aren't you selecting this person because he is sort of 'in tune' with you?

I am just suggesting. You may or may not be like that. Only you or someone close to you may know.

I agree with some things you said. Internet influences one's opinion quite a bit. Its like the newspapers of old, but without any sort of checks and balances. But that's not a new thing. Its the same old story. On a different medium.

You are absolutely right to dislike Citizen Kane. But its kind of expected that when you post something like this in this thread you will face opposing opinions. No one likes to hear ill about what they love. In fact, i was going soft on you. I adore the Dark Knight trilogy. (Not as much as Citizen Kane, that's why i mentioned Citizen Kane before). The best superhero trilogy imo. Heath Ledger's Joker is something i haven't seen in any comic book movie before or ever since. And Dark Knight is the most satisfying superhero movie i have ever seen. I place Logan before it just because there's nothing more raw and painful then family.

And yes i agree that La Motta is a character i did not like. I don't know. Perhaps its the point. You took the example of Rocky. I still haven't seen that. (I did not grow with Hollywood films so there are noticeable gaps in my film viewing experience). I would compare that to Alex DeLarge from A Clockwork Orange. That guy is legitimately a monster. But by means of cinematic trickery and deceit he ends up being quite likeable. Raging Bull in contrast is like an unflinching and true portrait of the protagonist. No romanticism.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-26-2019 at 03:26 AM.

Moneyball.

Could not believe this movie got this many Academy Award nominations. Seriously? Best Picture? Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role? Best Adapted Screenplay? I also felt that Jonah Hill did a decent job of playing against type, but his performance in The Wolf of Wall Street was so much more deserving than this one.

I did not understand what so many critics thought was exemplary about Moneyball.
    Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Compared to the fabulous Taxi Driver it felt like a letdown. I adore Taxi Driver. Its moody and electrifying. I don't know why but Raging Bull did not click with me like that. What you say is true. Robert DeNiro in flow is like a force of nature. But i just don't love the film itself like i love Taxi Driver. Which is fine by me as i don't love most films as i love Taxi Driver. I like it. I like it a lot more then what my posts may convey. But i remember a sense of dissapointment when it ended.
    At one point I'd call taxi driver my favorite movie of all time. It's still up there but Raging Bull is just as moody. Watch the opening again. Also, don't be afraid to have your opinion changed. The first time I watched Raging Bull I thought it was fine, didn't blow me away. Compared to Taxi Driver or Goodfellas it wasn't anything special. It's a movie that grows on you. I know that sounds stupid but you will grow to appreciate it and if you don't it's only because you don't want to. It's a perfect movie.

Black Panther.

It was fine, but I didn't really think the story was anything special. It had a lot of good going for it, but just from a storytelling stand point, it was kind of standard.

For me the list goes like this...

Ghostbusters - I get why people like it, but I just can't ever get into it. It has some cool ideas, but the characters aren't lovable or memorable in any way and are honestly more annoying than anything. Awesome theme song though I'll give 'em that.
    Sam Raimi Spider-Man Trilogy - Don't kill me. I actually love the first two and I don't even hate the third one. But I can't understand when people say it's the end all be all of Spider-Man movies.
    Incredibles 2 - Nowhere near as good as the original with the only thing going for it is the spectacular animation. Definitely the best PIXAR has to offer in that department. It wasn't bad for sure, but it didn't move me in any meaningful way.
    Aquaman - No. Just no. How did this beat The Dark Knight?

Quote Originally Posted by VGCinema View Post

Aquaman - No. Just no. How did this beat The Dark Knight?
    Because its fun and enjoyable ?

Dark Knight should be on this list though frankly. Its so overhyped its ridiculous, full of plot holes, Nolan reusing his formula, filler etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Because its fun and enjoyable ?

Dark Knight should be on this list though frankly. Its so overhyped its ridiculous, full of plot holes, Nolan reusing his formula, filler etc.
    I don't understand why The Dark Knight needs to be on my list when I enjoy it... The whole point of this thread is to say movies you don't like that others do. And by you I mean all of us. I respect that you like Aquaman and don't like Dark Knight, but I disagree so I put one on my list and not the other. I'm not gonna argue about it either so meh... Although now reading it again, I probably should've said "my list goes like this" instead of "the list goes like this".

Its about overhyped movies and Dark Knight is so incredibly overhyped its hilarious.

We're not compiling a list. This is just people saying what they think is overhyped.

I thought Titanic was a bit overhyped.

Not saying it was terrible... I enjoyed it. Visually it was impressive, but I didn't think the actual script was all that great.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    Get Out was a good movie, the people I knew who usually claim it was overrated are the people who saw it as a diversity tool only. diversity is a hot topic so any film with race commentary kind of gets sucked in. Am I glad Django unchained and 12 years a slave came out when Obama was still president, those were great movies, if it was to come out now the movies will be called great not because it is actually great objectively but because of diversity. Get Out unfortunately became a victim of the...,its only good because of diversity. isn't this the movie that had a near perfect 100% rt score until the first rotten came in, the critics was called a racist immediately? diversity or not, it was a good movie. I see it more as a modern take of guess who is coming to dinner. If anyone is trolling with diversity, its the media and critics.
    The first person who gave Get Out its first negative review was Armond White, who is black.

White whole gimmick is being a Contrarian.

Well, this thread is supposedly about overhyped movies, not bad movies, so I guess that means overhyped "good" movies. I don't know if there are any objectively bad movies that have been overhyped as being fantastic even if they don't happen to be one's particular taste.

The reality is that movies, like all pop culture are products of their times, so what was fresh or relevant in 1935, might not be so today.

I love old movies. When I was young, I didn't because they were in black and white and the style of filmmaking, acting, and story progression were very different. So, a classic movie with three-quarters of a century of hype behind it will likely seem overhyped to people if they sit down and watch it and can't get past the filmmaking conventions used at the time. It would be like reading a Silver Age comic without making allowances for how things were done back then.

It wouldn't surprise me to find that know-it-all college kids would find, say, Gone with the Wind, Citizen Kane, and Casablanca, etc. to be overhyped because that kind of film done in that kind of style couldn't be done today and be taken seriously.

For me, it's only worth talking about "overhyped" in relation to movies of the modern Hollywood era, say post-1970. Even then, movies made before 1990 will often seem old-fashioned in many respects to younger people.

So, if the movie is "good for its era," then I wouldn't classify it as overhyped. In the very recent era of post-2000 movies, it becomes clearer to me which movies are overhyped.

People have brought up the Dark Knight trilogy. I would counter that with pretty much the entirety of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. They're well done, if sometimes nonsensical, but they are definitely overhyped. The shared universe conceit does a lot of the heavy lifting in making these movies seem more important and better than they actually are.

Empty is thy hand!

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    People have brought up the Dark Knight trilogy. I would counter that with pretty much the entirety of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. They're well done, if sometimes nonsensical, but they are definitely overhyped. The shared universe conceit does a lot of the heavy lifting in making these movies seem more important and better than they actually are.
    Hallelujah. As for the rest of your post, I agree, a lot of folks seem to have a hard time putting classic art into historical context. It's silly to expect Citizen Kane to have the same feel or technique as Avengers 3 or whatever.