Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Arfguy View Post
    Moneyball.

Could not believe this movie got this many Academy Award nominations. Seriously? Best Picture? Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role? Best Adapted Screenplay? I also felt that Jonah Hill did a decent job of playing against type, but his performance in The Wolf of Wall Street was so much more deserving than this one.

I did not understand what so many critics thought was exemplary about Moneyball.
    I really liked MoneyBall, but yeah I find it strange how many Oscars it got nominated for. I have no issue with the Adapted Screenplay as I do think it was another success of Aaron Sorkin to create a pretty compelling story about something that could be so boring (and probably was in real life). He's so good at finding those stories and not sacrificing the perceived realism either. It's a gift that's pretty unappreciated I think.

I'm trying to think of an answer here... it's hard. Because of course there are movies that I don't enjoy as much they're hyped up to be. But I hate to say that the movie isn't great. I hate the term overrated, because that implies that my taste is better than the average persons and I don't necessarily think that's the case. Like I stated in another thread, I wish movies based around corporate IPs weren't the only thing that captured the public zeitgeist. As much as I enjoy comic book films, I wish it was easier to discuss smaller films with more people, but that's not really the question at hand.

Monty Pyton and the Holy Grail is probably the closest I can get. I liked it, I suppose. But, I saw it after hearing all of the references for my entire high school career, so I don't think it had the same impact on me. I definitely want to give it another try one day...

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Black Panther.

It was fine, but I didn't really think the story was anything special. It had a lot of good going for it, but just from a storytelling stand point, it was kind of standard.
    I agree. It was a good movie and I enjoyed it but it was a standard Marvel movie using the same formula as their other movies. Iron Man, Thor, Dr. Strange and Black Panther all followed the same basic form.

I didn't see anything special to warrant those SAG wins or Oscar nominations. But that's just my opinion, others may think it's the best movie in cinema history.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post

People have brought up the Dark Knight trilogy. I would counter that with pretty much the entirety of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. They're well done, if sometimes nonsensical, but they are definitely overhyped. The shared universe conceit does a lot of the heavy lifting in making these movies seem more important and better than they actually are.
    One movie out of 20 has gotten real critical acclaim.Marvel universe reputations is as fun blockbuster movies I don't see how Marvel is overhyped. I will go one step further execution of a shared universe apparently is hard because DCEU flopped, Hasbro can't GI Joe ,Transformers to consistently work and The Dark Universe flopped with one movie. If the Cinematic Universe is doing the heavy lifting then it bares noting that getting a Cinematic universe to work is very hard and Cinema is filled with movies that can't successful set up one sequel(looking at Young Adult movies). I think praise of MCU is in line with it has actually done which consistently put majority of good fun movies and never putting out a movie bad enough not to get a sequel made. I have never seen a Marvel fan pretend that Marvel is putting out 18 to Citizen Kanes

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Are we ever truly individuals?

Think about it. From the lap of the mother to the lap of death we are always influenced by others in the society. We have certain characteristics of our own (which is also influenced to a degree by others) and we form groups and friends based on that. You denied the RTs, Metacritic, etc. And you valued this youtube personality. Which is great. I have zero issues with that. But aren't you selecting this person because he is sort of 'in tune' with you?

I am just suggesting. You may or may not be like that. Only you or someone close to you may know.

I agree with some things you said. Internet influences one's opinion quite a bit. Its like the newspapers of old, but without any sort of checks and balances. But that's not a new thing. Its the same old story. On a different medium.

You are absolutely right to dislike Citizen Kane. But its kind of expected that when you post something like this in this thread you will face opposing opinions. No one likes to hear ill about what they love. In fact, i was going soft on you. I adore the Dark Knight trilogy. (Not as much as Citizen Kane, that's why i mentioned Citizen Kane before). The best superhero trilogy imo. Heath Ledger's Joker is something i haven't seen in any comic book movie before or ever since. And Dark Knight is the most satisfying superhero movie i have ever seen. I place Logan before it just because there's nothing more raw and painful then family.

And yes i agree that La Motta is a character i did not like. I don't know. Perhaps its the point. You took the example of Rocky. I still haven't seen that. (I did not grow with Hollywood films so there are noticeable gaps in my film viewing experience). I would compare that to Alex DeLarge from A Clockwork Orange. That guy is legitimately a monster. But by means of cinematic trickery and deceit he ends up being quite likeable. Raging Bull in contrast is like an unflinching and true portrait of the protagonist. No romanticism.
    Rocky is an excellent film and one of my favorites! now there's a boxing film and so is Gladiator 1992.

The Dark Knight 1 and 2 i like, but for DC films i tend to like Burton's Batman films, Superman 1 and 2 and Watchmen better but still like Nolan's first 2 movies yet still loath part 3.

Quote Originally Posted by VGCinema View Post
    For me the list goes like this...

Ghostbusters - I get why people like it, but I just can't ever get into it. It has some cool ideas, but the characters aren't lovable or memorable in any way and are honestly more annoying than anything. Awesome theme song though I'll give 'em that.
    Sam Raimi Spider-Man Trilogy - Don't kill me. I actually love the first two and I don't even hate the third one. But I can't understand when people say it's the end all be all of Spider-Man movies.
    Incredibles 2 - Nowhere near as good as the original with the only thing going for it is the spectacular animation. Definitely the best PIXAR has to offer in that department. It wasn't bad for sure, but it didn't move me in any meaningful way.
    Aquaman - No. Just no. How did this beat The Dark Knight?
    No lovable characters in Ghostbusters (1984)? what are you smoking? of course it has likable and memorable characters who had chemistry as you actually believe the characters are friends and excellent writing with a quality intelligent script and good filmmaking. It's not like Ballbusters (aka Ghostbusters 2016 which i am not calling it Ghostbusters and doesn't deserve to be called Ghostbusters) which 2016's film had dislikable characters, all men are assholes, a poorly written script and a moneygrab.
    ·
    This kind of argument is exactly why the quality of films is getting worse every year. This person is entitled to their opinion but that doesn't mean that I have to agree with it. It's the particular viewpoint that frustrates me. In fact, I personally feel that it represents the worst viewpoint possible when it comes to film criticism or film in general. And I stand by that. And it isn't entirely his fault that he thinks this way. It is a common viewpoint among a large majority of the younger generation.

No. I should expect the current generation to respect and at least appreciate elder cinema.

The biggest problem with film today if you ask me boils down to the audiences themselves.

I would argue it's not audiences getting dumber that's the problem. It's audiences lowering their expectations that is. So much of the mass audience nowadays that sees films have standards that are so low that all that matters is that the film was entertaining or had a few scenes they liked. And it's a good if not great movie.

They are also lacking respect for elder cinema, and don't have the necessary knowledge of what makes a film good, great or even truly terrible. They lack appreciation for every aspect of filmmaking and don't really know what is truly good, bad or even mediocre because their standards are so low.

And Hollywood studios know this. This is why they pump out formulaic lazy sequels, remakes and reboots because they know the audiences eat it up and does not ask that much of them anymore.

Yes. There are exceptions. But they are clearly outnumbered by the mass amount of people who have lowered expectations and let their viewing habits and opinions on films be skewed by youtube videos and rotten tomatoes scores. Further spreading this cancerous disease of little to no standards for filmmaking or storytelling. And the death of the individual opinion amongst the hordes of audience members.

The truth hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    One movie out of 20 has gotten real critical acclaim.Marvel universe reputations is as fun blockbuster movies I don't see how Marvel is overhyped. I will go one step further execution of a shared universe apparently is hard because DCEU flopped, Hasbro can't GI Joe ,Transformers to consistently work and The Dark Universe flopped with one movie. If the Cinematic Universe is doing the heavy lifting then it bares noting that getting a Cinematic universe to work is very hard and Cinema is filled with movies that can't successful set up one sequel(looking at Young Adult movies). I think praise of MCU is in line with it has actually done which consistently put majority of good fun movies and never putting out a movie bad enough not to get a sequel made. I have never seen a Marvel fan pretend that Marvel is putting out 18 to Citizen Kanes

I would disagree with the asseration that Cinematic Universes are hard. Theres currently 3 successful ones and a slew of failures or missteps.

The failures tend to be because the franchises dont actually link together narratively well and are being pushed heavily for the MCU style cash that can be made rather then whether it actually works.

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    I agree. It was a good movie and I enjoyed it but it was a standard Marvel movie using the same formula as their other movies. Iron Man, Thor, Dr. Strange and Black Panther all followed the same basic form.

I didn't see anything special to warrant those SAG wins or Oscar nominations. But that's just my opinion, others may think it's the best movie in cinema history.
    Curious what the Formula that they use in all these movies. Original Thor,DR strange, and Ironman I understand. They all have a hero who's arrogant and then gets humbled and becomes a true hero. So I atleast see what people are saying with those movies but not sure how Black Panther follows that Formula. Only time I've ever really felt the Formula was with Dr strange because they tried too hard to make him like Tony. But then in Ragnarok and Infinity War they seemed to take the criticism and course correct and I'm actually interested in another movie now as before Dr Strange was my least favorite origin movie in the MCU.

Anyway people always say the MCU formula, just curious what that Forumla Black Panther follows is. I mean it's a superhero movie so its gonna be somewhat formulaic and it's the start of a franchise so its predictable in the we knew Tchalla wasnt gonna die. But one of the things BP got praised for was that it looked like nothing we had ever seen before. But that may be more aesthetic then story.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I would disagree with the asseration that Cinematic Universes are hard. Theres currently 3 successful ones and a slew of failures or missteps.

The failures tend to be because the franchises dont actually link together narratively well and are being pushed heavily for the MCU style cash that can be made rather then whether it actually works.
    What are the three shared Universes? Marvel, DC and...?

Most acknowledge that DCU is a lot less successful than Marvel.

If there are a slew of failed ones, that says there are hard.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post

No lovable characters in Ghostbusters (1984)? what are you smoking?
    Could you cut that out? You made a thread where your opinion was sacrosanct and nothing but gatekeeping, and now you're chastising people who have a different opinion than you. Speaking as one major Ghostbusters fan to another, you gotta chill, man.

This person is entitled to their opinion but that doesn't mean that I have to agree with it. It's the particular viewpoint that frustrates me. In fact, I personally feel that it represents the worst viewpoint possible when it comes to film criticism or film in general. And I stand by that. And it isn't entirely his fault that he thinks this way. It is a common viewpoint among a large majority of the younger generation.
    See, you say everyone's entitled to their opinion, but then you cast all these gross assumptions on a wide swath of people. That's not cool. It's incredibly condescending.

The truth hurts.
    Yes, High Lord Minister of Film of All Time.
    Last edited by Cyke; 01-29-2019 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    At one point I'd call taxi driver my favorite movie of all time. It's still up there but Raging Bull is just as moody. Watch the opening again. Also, don't be afraid to have your opinion changed. The first time I watched Raging Bull I thought it was fine, didn't blow me away. Compared to Taxi Driver or Goodfellas it wasn't anything special. It's a movie that grows on you. I know that sounds stupid but you will grow to appreciate it and if you don't it's only because you don't want to. It's a perfect movie.
    Oh! So you had this experience with this movie. I have had similar experiences. Mostly with Kubrick's films. First time i watched Shining, i was thinking, among the best horror films? You must be joking. But now its my favorite horror film.

So, i concede that its possible. It seems incredible from where i am standing now. But who knows?

You brought up Goodfellas. Oh man, am i having some unpopular opinions! I enjoyed Goodfellas. It was very good. But give me Godfather anytime. Any day. I might have enjoyed Departed more. I seem to enjoy films based on real people less. And if its based on a real person i prefer the narrative to be around something specific. Like King's Speech or Hacksaw Ridge.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-29-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Batman and Batman Returns. Great music and visuals, but the writing is atrocious, the plots are nonexistent, and Burton focused on making the characters weird that he forgot to give most of them arcs or anything to do. 2 whole movies and Bruce has had 0 development, learning nothing and failing to grow past his first scene in movie 1. I can sort of get why it was mindblowing in 1989, but the standard for superhero and action movies is so much higher now that these movies don't hold up.

Spider-Man Homecoming. I like it, but to me it isn't any better than either of the previous incarnations of Spider-Man.

The Force Awakens. A big part of the reason I don't understand a lot of the complaints with The Last Jedi is that I had those exact same complaints in 2015 when this movie came out. Did the sheen of the return of Star Wars and Harrison Ford really keep those issues from being noticed until the next movie?

Thor Ragnorok. Either make a comedy or make a serious movie where Odin dies and Asgard is destroyed. Doing both undercuts both. If I don't where when the title character's father and home planet are destroyed something is seriously wrong.

Batman Under the Red Hood. It's good, better than the comics its based on, in fact, but it's far, far from the best animated Batman movie.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I know the holy grail is huge in Christianity, but a conduit for speaking to god which makes armies invincible and can also melt an entire army is just bigger, more interesting, and more compelling than a goblet that heals people. They started too big in Raiders for any of the sequels to live up to it. And I really disliked the way they had Sean Connery be a bumbling fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    What are the three shared Universes? Marvel, DC and...?

Most acknowledge that DCU is a lot less successful than Marvel.

If there are a slew of failed ones, that says there are hard.
    DCU is one of the failures/missteps, they admit as much by ackowledging its going very stand alone from now on.

The three are, The MCU, The Monsterverse and The Conjuring Cinematic Universe.

All 3 get the source material, make decent cash and are enjoyed by both fans and non fans.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Batman and Batman Returns. Great music and visuals, but the writing is atrocious, the plots are nonexistent, and Burton focused on making the characters weird that he forgot to give most of them arcs or anything to do. 2 whole movies and Bruce has had 0 development, learning nothing and failing to grow past his first scene in movie 1. I can sort of get why it was mindblowing in 1989, but the standard for superhero and action movies is so much higher now that these movies don't hold up.
    Not too long ago I rewatched the four movies on Netflix (well, almost. I only got through 15 minutes of Batman and Robin before giving up). But it really astounds me how it took three movies to get to the roots of Bruce's childhood trauma, which is something we take for granted in the Bat-mythos -- everybody knew Bruce's parents were killed, but before Batman Forever audiences were only told what it did to Bruce, rather than showing and fleshing it out. Now that I look at it, it was refreshing then because Bruce really did have little development -- beating the Joker was much less about closure and much more about saving Gotham and Vicki Vale. Batman Returns had him sidelined by more interesting villains.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    DCU is one of the failures/missteps, they admit as much by ackowledging its going very stand alone from now on.

The three are, The MCU, The Monsterverse and The Conjuring Cinematic Universe.

All 3 get the source material, make decent cash and are enjoyed by both fans and non fans.
    What is The Monsterverse?

But yeah, Conjuring definitely counts.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Speaking of shared universes. They are just leaving money on the table by not doing a Fast and Furious/Transformers crossover called "Fast-Formers".
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Quote Originally Posted by Things Fall Apart View Post
    What is The Monsterverse?

But yeah, Conjuring definitely counts.
    Legendary Godzilla, King Kong, King of the Monsters, King Kong vs Godzilla.