Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Amazing Member

I know someone said this already but I choose The Dark Knight.
    I've tried to watch this movie about 6 different times and it just bores me to death and I can't finish it. The realism and the edgy feel they tried to add in the movie just didn't work for me.

I know they were super corny but I actually liked the 90s batman movies. I know his theme is dark and gothic but when I watch a movie about a comic character that doesn't kill and dresses up as a damn bat, I want to have fun. Batman isn't the Punisher
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 02-01-2019 at 05:30 PM.

Astonishing Member

So you even like the 90’s Batman & Robin and Batman Forever over the Dark Knight?! Of course, it’s all subjective and your opinion is perfectly valid but I’ve never seen that opinion before. I’ve seen plenty criticize the Nolan films as being too heavy and not ‘fun’(I don’t really agree) but wow that’s new. Even TDK’s most ardent detractors at least prefer it over the Schumacher ones. Unless you only mean the purely the Tim Burton movies but the first Burton film isn’t a 90’s movie.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    What about Civil War made you hate Bucky ?
    I feel the character never had much agency and depth in that movie. I never felt he was truly sorry for what he had done(I know he was brainwashed so he’s not entirely to blame but even I would feel some remorse if I was in shoes) not to mention the fact that Steve was so willing to ignore Tony’s perfectly reasonable stance on superhero intervention because he was so motivated to protect his childhood friend ended up making me very unsympathetic to Steve’s cause. By making the Bucky character so integral to the story it kind of showed how little there was to the character besides being the long lost buddy of Captain America. For me, to have Bucky who was a character I thought was already really uninteresting to begin with become such a vital character to the conflict between Steve and Tony annoyed me. I get the sense the filmmakers wanted me to feel somewhat sympathetic to Bucky but I never get a sense of him as a character— he needs, his wants therefore he kind of comes across as a shallow character. And at the end of the day all I get from him is that he’s Steve’s childhood friend that was in the First Avenger a little bit that I barley remember because he made little impression on me in his few minutes of screen time.

One touch I would’ve liked, if the film had better writing is if there was a sense of sacrifice to Bucky’s character and he wanted to redeem himself somehow. Heck it would’ve been interesting to me if during the climatic battle between Steve and Tony when Tony is trying to avenge his parents Bucky offers himself to Iron Man as a sacrifice in order to give Tony closure. Granted, I’m cognizant of the fact that Bucky was brainwashed into killing Tony’s parents by Hydra but I think it would’ve told us so much more about the character that he still felt guilty over what happened, even though it wasn’t really his fault; Bucky would still feel that need to atone for his sins but of course Steve refuses to let this happen and stops Iron Man from taking Bucky’s life because Steve knows Bucky wasn’t some heartless killing machine — he was a victim himself. But Bucky still feels guilt because he knows his existence is causing all this pain and suffering for his best friend and the rest of the people around him so perhaps it would best if didn’t live anymore. Throughout the movie, I truly wondered if Bucky truly felt guilt or shame or some sense of responsibility for all the horrible things that happened. Yes, I know it’s not Bucky’s fault, yes Steve knows it’s not Bucky’s fault, yes I know Bucky knows it’s not his fault, but I think there should be some sense of self-loathing on Bucky’s part about how much of a problem he’s causing others. That for me, would make him an infinitely more interesting character than the bland character he usually is in these movies.

I’m sure plenty of people here who loved the movie will disagree with what I would’ve preferred since I suppose you may ultimately prefer what was actually in the movie. Just my two cents and feel free to disagree with my opinion.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-01-2019 at 03:15 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    So you even like the 90’s Batman & Robin and Batman Forever over the Dark Knight?!
    Of course, it’s all subjective and your opinion is perfectly valid but I’ve never seen that opinion before. I’ve seen plenty criticize the Nolan films as being too heavy and not ‘fun’(I don’t really agree) but wow that’s new. Even TDK’s most ardent detractors at least prefer it over the Schumacher ones but I guess. Unless you only mean the purely the Tim Burton movies but the first Burton film isn’t a 90’s movie.
    I don't agree either and I wouldn't say this is the poster's reason of preference, but I've seen examples -- primarily of older fans (again, I don't know zip about the poster) who prefer camp for its spectacle and humor; notably guys like John Waters can appreciate more modern/serious/"realistic" movies, but their go-to for amusement tend to be ones that celebrate 50s and 60s camp culture. I also had a boss in his 50s who preferred Adam West Batman to MCU movies because, in his opinion, the Batman TV show was more carefree and whimsical. And MCU movies aren't nearly as grim and morally ambiguous as the Nolan movies (conversely though, the Burton films, while more straightforward and less complex, are even bleeker and grimdark than the Nolan movies).

To each their own, and the Schumacher movies are an assault to the senses, but there are a few who prefer that. I ain't one of them, but more power to them, I suppose.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I don't agree either and I wouldn't say this is the poster's reason of preference, but I've seen examples -- primarily of older fans (again, I don't know zip about the poster) who prefer camp for its spectacle and humor; notably guys like John Waters can appreciate more modern/serious/"realistic" movies, but their go-to for amusement tend to be ones that celebrate 50s and 60s camp culture. I also had a boss in his 50s who preferred Adam West Batman to MCU movies because, in his opinion, the Batman TV show was more carefree and whimsical. And MCU movies aren't nearly as grim and morally ambiguous as the Nolan movies (conversely though, the Burton films, while more straightforward and less complex, are even bleeker and grimdark than the Nolan movies).

To each their own, and the Schumacher movies are an assault to the senses, but there are a few who prefer that. I ain't one of them, but more power to them, I suppose.
    Yes. The poster is entirely entitled to their opinion and I hope some folks don’t get the impression that I’m implying he’s ‘wrong’ for having an opinion that I don’t agree with since I’m sure I’ve posted opinions on this very thread that many here don’t agree with but this was a new.

- Charles Schultz.

Yes. The poster is entirely entitled to their opinion and I hope some folks don’t get the impression that I’m implying he’s ‘wrong’ for having an opinion that I don’t agree with since I’m sure I’ve posted opinions on this very thread that many here don’t agree with but this was a new.
    I didn't get the impression that you were lording over anyone, I just wanted to provide my observations on why some would prefer the Schumacher films over the Nolan films, that's all.

Like, I don't know if this is true, but I really can imagine someone like Joel Hodgson liking Adam West Batman (which has more in common with Schumacher) than the Nolan films; but then again, I imagine Hodgson really disliking the Schumacher films because they're just bad films and trying too hard and too insincerely to capture that camp or B-movie feeling.

Amazing Member

So you even like the 90’s Batman & Robin and Batman Forever over the Dark Knight?! Of course, it’s all subjective and your opinion is perfectly valid but I’ve never seen that opinion before. I’ve seen plenty criticize the Nolan films as being too heavy and not ‘fun’(I don’t really agree) but wow that’s new. Even TDK’s most ardent detractors at least prefer it over the Schumacher ones. Unless you only mean the purely the Tim Burton movies but the first Burton film isn’t a 90’s movie.
    See, those movies came out when I was a child. That's who superheroes were for back then, they were for children. As an adult, yes those movies look horrible now but I loved them when I was a kid. Not saying there's anything wrong with adults loving superheroes (obviously I'm on a comic site and I'm grown). However, I would rather see him fighting super villains than going back and forth with a weird crackhead joker in some wannabe deep crime drama thriller

We're living in a time now where everything has taken on this dark and edgy atmosphere to appeal to adults. Maybe I'm living in the past but I find it dumb when you try to make a movie that serious about a crime fighter with a cape. This R-rated fetish people have nowadays is a little over the top for me. Especially when it comes to comic books and cartoons. (I know that particular movie wasn't rated r)

But I don't mean any disrespect to people who enjoy that movie
    Last edited by DragonflyJones; 02-01-2019 at 05:41 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DragonflyJones View Post
    See, those movies came out when I was a child. That's who superheroes were for back then, they were for children. As an adult, yes those movies look horrible now but I loved them when I was a kid. Not saying there's anything wrong with adults loving superheroes (obviously I'm on a comic site and I'm grown). However, I would rather see him fighting super villains than going back and forth with a weird crackhead joker in some wannabe deep crime drama thriller

We're living in a time now where everything has taken on this dark and edgy atmosphere to appeal to adults. Maybe I'm living in the past but I find it dumb when you try to make a movie that serious about a crime fighter with a cape. This R-rated fetish people have nowadays is a little over the top for me. Especially when it comes to comic books and cartoons. (I know that particular movie wasn't rated r)

But I don't mean any disrespect to people who enjoy that movie
    Well I’m certainly not offended or anything. And actually it makes sense that you would prefer the ‘fun’ tone of those movies over the Nolan movies which could come across as rather pretentious to those who simply would want a more conventional superhero film. Certainly when you look at Dark Knight it’s not exactly a movie that gives you the same colorful giddy joy that makes you feel like a kid again that you’d get if you watched the Avengers films or the Guardians films. So I definitely understand why it didn’t work for you especially if you feel like they are taking a concept as fundamentally ludicrous as a millionaire dressed up as a giant rat as seriously as it is so might be harder to suspend your disbelief a bit. Though of course, I do think the Nolan movies are actually a lot less darker than a lot of the comic books it’s based on but that’s a moot point. Though like you I also happen to like Batman Forever a lot and Batman and Robin(though more in a “its so bad it’s good way”).
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-01-2019 at 06:23 PM.

- Charles Schultz.

Astonishing Member

Here’s another movie that isn’t as great as its reputation, imo. Unbreakable — its a interesting real world examination of the superhero concept but it’s a film that’s very slowly paced, and it’s an overly somber film. This film is often lauded as one of the best superhero films ever and I’m kind of surprised since the film is chalk full of philosophizing about the nature of superheroes but I kind of feel it doesn’t realize those ideas in anyway that’s satisfying. The movie feels like an overly dour lecture about comic books and it feels kind of contrived in the way they specify about superheroes and superpowers.

James Newton score rocks, though.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-01-2019 at 07:36 PM.

- Charles Schultz.

Amazing Member

Well I’m certainly not offended or anything. And actually it makes sense that you would prefer the ‘fun’ tone of those movies over the Nolan movies which could come across as rather pretentious to those who simply would want a more conventional superhero film. Certainly when you look at Dark Knight it’s not exactly a movie that gives you the same colorful giddy joy that makes you feel like a kid again that you’d get if you watched the Avengers films or the Guardians films. So I definitely understand why it didn’t work for you especially if you feel like they are taking a concept as fundamentally ludicrous as a millionaire dressed up as a giant rat as seriously as it is so might be harder to suspend your disbelief a bit. Though of course, I do think the Nolan movies are actually a lot less darker than a lot of the comic books it’s based on but that’s a moot point. Though like you I also happen to like Batman Forever a lot and Batman and Robin(though more in a “its so bad it’s good way”).
    Exactly. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for anything super fun and giddy. I guess I just thought TDK was taking itself too seriously. One of these days I'll put my bias aside and watch the whole movie though
    That warehouse scene in BvS felt like classic Batman. I guess I was looking for more stuff like that in the TDK but again, I need to watch the whole movie

and can we get a Batman Beyond movie please. It's 2019, what are these movie studios doing? Lol

Glad to see I’m not the only one who feels the Dark Knight is incredibly overrated. It’s not even the best Batman film in that trilogy.

I agree with what others have said about Black Panther as well. It was a fine film but nothing spectacular.

Avatar is another film in the same boat as the ones mentioned above.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Put me down as another person that feels Schumacher delivered better batman movies than Nolan did. The Nolan movies lacked any sense of fun and tried to downplay as much of the over the top comicbook aspects as possible to the point where it also seemed like they were ashamed to be making a superhero movie.

Not to mention is gave us a wishy-washy Batman who was eager to give up and constantly had to be told what to do or be given pep-talks to keep going.

The Keaton/Schumacher series gave us a Batman that grew from being a weird sad loner who only wanted to hurt people to actually being embarced as a hero and building a new family around him. The character growth in Nolan's Batman seemed to go from "I have no no clue how to be Batman" to "I don't want to be Batman anymore" to "I quit being Batman because it was really hard. Okay, fine, one more time but that's it."

I am gobsmacked that anyone can watch Batman and Robin and The Dark Knight and find the former better than the latter.

Let alone B&R anything but a hot mess.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I am gobsmacked that anyone can watch Batman and Robin and The Dark Knight and find the former better than the latter.

Let alone B&R anything but a hot mess.
    Its all subjective. I have a good friend who even likes Tim Story's Fantastic Four films and Green Lantern much better than Nolan's Batman films because they're "more fun". It's a bit of a surprise to me as well but hey you can't tell em' they're wrong.

- Charles Schultz.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    In fairness, he said Batman and Robin is a better Batman movie, not a better movie. I'm not quite sure I agree with that, but it is true that B&R's strength is in Batman, rather than in the movie-making quality. Probably a slightly better Batman than Nolan's attempt.

For me definitely the first Avengers.

Never got goosebumps or close. It felt pretty average superhero movie to me.