Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

COLOSSAL

Aside from the plot that the boyfriend decided he can't keep dating her nothing makes sense, it's not as allegory or anything of that sort. That bully character is just a bully again all too randomly, kicking off Tim Blake Nelson and talking about his addiction is a completely weightless way to kick that actor off set, destroying school project and getting hit by lightning made monsters appear in Korea all too randomly, fireworks ignited in the bar......

What a colossal mess of a story it is.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    For me definitely the first Avengers.

Never got goosebumps or close. It felt pretty average superhero movie to me.
    I loved it but I'll readily admit that the strength of the movie isn't really the story, but just the fact that they all came together.

Age of Ultron probably hammered that point home to me, really. We already saw these movie headliners come together, so that's not special, so then it has to rely on the story. And it was a pretty mediocre story.

But then on the same point, Infinity War brings that thrill of the first movie back because now these movie headliners are joined by others who have led their own movies since then, like Spidey, Strange, and the Guardians (at least in more prominent ways), which Age of Ultron didn't really have.

So yeah, if you don't care or aren't as enamored by the notion of the crossover itself, the movies unfortunately don't have much more going for them beyond that gimmick.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    COLOSSAL

Aside from the plot that the boyfriend decided he can't keep dating her nothing makes sense, it's not as allegory or anything of that sort. That bully character is just a bully again all too randomly, kicking off Tim Blake Nelson and talking about his addiction is a completely weightless way to kick that actor off set, destroying school project and getting hit by lightning made monsters appear in Korea all too randomly, fireworks ignited in the bar......

What a colossal mess of a story it is.
    tbh I haven't really seen that many rave reviews -- from critics or regular posters alike -- for this movie. (like, if 5 critics loved it, but only 100 people actually watched it, then there's no hype for it really)

I mean, it *looks* like a thoughtful, quirky piece, but I've a hard time believing that it got a lot of folks excited for the movie in the first place.
    Last edited by Cyke; 02-04-2019 at 02:43 PM.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Any James Cameron movie outside of Terminator, Aliens, and Terminator 2 is vastly overrated to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    tbh I haven't really seen that many rave reviews -- from critics or regular posters alike -- for this movie. (like, if 5 critics loved it, but only 100 people actually watched it, then there's no hype for it really)

I mean, it *looks* like a thoughtful, quirky piece, but I've a hard time believing that it got a lot of folks excited for the movie in the first place.
    I communicated with a circle of fans of this bizarre movie, they continue to praise it like it is another Awakening movie.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I thought Titanic was a bit overhyped.

Not saying it was terrible... I enjoyed it. Visually it was impressive, but I didn't think the actual script was all that great.
    I think it is safe to say the script was pretty bad.

For something more recent: It Follows. I love atmospheric horror so you cant just use "You only want gore and cheap scares," on me. I was so bored I fell asleep.

For something older: Princess Bride and Top Gun. I never loved them as much as other people. This 80's kid wasn't impressed. I actually kept waiting for them to finish so I could do something else. As a cinephile I finish all films no matter what.
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 02-07-2019 at 02:43 AM.

Scarface, from the scenery chewing acting to the ridiculous action, I just don't get the adulation this cartoon of a film gets.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 02-07-2019 at 02:46 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Most recently is The favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Because its fun and enjoyable ?

Dark Knight should be on this list though frankly. Its so overhyped its ridiculous, full of plot holes, Nolan reusing his formula, filler etc.
    This was actually the first movie I thought of. The Dark Knight is still one of my favorite movies, but if you really start to pay attention to it, it makes no sense. There are plot holes that are big enough for Batman to jump a batmobile through.

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Any James Cameron movie outside of Terminator, Aliens, and Terminator 2 is vastly overrated to me.
    What do you feel about The Abyss?

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    What do you feel about The Abyss?
    I forgot about The Abyss so I'll include that one also.

Directors cut of the Abyss is very good. True Lies is great fun.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Cyke, the joy of Asylum ScFi movies is seeing how bad they can make the special effects. It is amazing that you can see amateurs on YouTube creating better FX on their PC that they do for a "professional" movie.

I've never been able to finish Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I get incredibly board with it.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Scareface, from the scenery chewing acting to the ridiculous action, I just don't get the adulation this cartoon of a film gets.
    I'm assuming you mean Scarface unless you are talking about a horror film I never heard of...

Say hello to my leettle friend! Hahaha! Yeah, I don't get the big deal. It was ok and entertaining but in a bad sort of way.

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    I'm assuming you mean Scarface unless you are talking about a horror film I never heard of...

Say hello to my leettle friend! Hahaha! Yeah, I don't get the big deal. It was ok and entertaining but in a bad sort of way.
    Yep, got rid of the "e" in my post. There were parts that are laughable, but it became this big Hip-Hop gangster thing.