Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    I didn't mind the /idea/ of Jane Thor. Like Pen said, it was more the handling of Thor's world building and presentation I had issues with.

Btw, any of you all read the comic where Thor can't handle the cold? So She Hulk needs to cuddle him for warmth? Lol. Poor Thor
    Despite, y'know. Thor eating the Casket of Ancient Winter being opened in his face; and it freezing everyone but him ?

For fuck's sake, man.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Why does it sounds like MCU Thor is more impressive than Comic Thor these days?
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy1 View Post
    Why does it sounds like MCU Thor is more impressive than Comic Thor these days?
    Because he is. MCU Thor is the mightiest of the Avengers ( Until Cap Marvel outshines and becomes a Mary Sue savior. What it seems to be like.)

I mean Thor did actual lethal damage to Thanos and survived a Star smacking into him. Hammer saved him from death, but notion he was kicking afterwards is still damn impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    Because he is. MCU Thor is the mightiest of the Avengers ( Until Cap Marvel outshines and becomes a Mary Sue savior. What it seems to be like.)

I mean Thor did actual lethal damage to Thanos and survived a Star smacking into him. Hammer saved him from death, but notion he was kicking afterwards is still damn impressive.
    Perhaps, but I have faith that the final throwdown with Thanos will be a team effort of everyone just dogpiling on him.
    Guy And Chou's RPG Site
    Rumbles Moderator

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Perhaps, but I have faith that the final throwdown with Thanos will be a team effort of everyone just dogpiling on him.
    They're billing Captain Marvel as the "most powerful in the MCU" so .. don't get your hopes up.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    I didn't mind the /idea/ of Jane Thor. Like Pen said, it was more the handling of Thor's world building and presentation I had issues with.

Btw, any of you all read the comic where Thor can't handle the cold? So She Hulk needs to cuddle him for warmth? Lol. Poor Thor
    A real caveman romance between a savage she hulk and the unworthy barbarian thor guaranteed to warm the cockles of readers heart where thor behaves like a lout for laughs and She hulk keeps growling like a savage brute.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    There's really nothing wrong with the idea of Jane Thor (I'd have preferred it turned out to be Sif, who doesn't really get enough focus or good writing, but eh). A variety of different people have wielded Mjolnir over the years as a stand in for Thor, from Dargo in the future, to Beta Ray Bill, to Eric Masterson, why not a woman?

It's mostly just that it was twinned into rewriting Odin as a caricature and Thor himself as a rolling wall of doofus-y failures as far as the bad taste of it. It's not unique to female characters that a writer can't think of a way to make their character look good, without making everyone else around them look bad. Happens with male characters all the time. Take, say, Red Hulk, for instance, during the full Loeb era. Or Batman when he's written just terribly as far as the rest of the League having to be incompetent dolts to make him look good, or etc.
    Yeah, that second part. The bad thing is that it basically took a guy who had been written well for a while, and then made him SOOOOOOO bad that they really can't come back from that without a retcon. I mean, how exactly was Thor EVER worthy, given what he's written as now? Ugh.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Chou Lives View Post
    That's a great take on two films you haven't seen Chou, way to make an informed call.

Such a predictable fan reaction:

Female character: *Exists and is competent at stuff*

Fans: What a Mary Sue!

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    That's a great take on two films you haven't seen Chou, way to make an informed call.

Such a predictable fan reaction:

Female character: *Exists and is competent at stuff*

Fans: What a Mary Sue!
    Not weighing in on some of the uh ... other stuff, and whether or not she's a sue remains to be seen; but they've (director, herself) stated multiple times she's the most "powerful in the MCU".

So Chou's at least right in the sense that she's 'above' MCU Thor. Though again, movie's a fair few months from release, a proper appraisal is pending. No real way to know if that's a legitimate statement they're making, or not, based on how we appraise things here.

I'd also like to point out however, for the sake of being my typical self ... we've no idea if she's competent yet. She could suffer from MCU Thanos Syndrome.

... hide the chess pieces, just in case.

Arx Inosaan

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Not weighing in on some of the uh ... other stuff, and whether or not she's a sue remains to be seen; but they've (director, herself) stated multiple times she's the most "powerful in the MCU".

So Chou's at least right in the sense that she's 'above' MCU Thor. Though again, movie's a fair few months from release, a proper appraisal is pending. No real way to know if that's a legitimate statement they're making, or not, based on how we appraise things here.
    I've not seen either of the directors say that myself; only ever seen Kevin Feige, who is a producer, saying she's the most powerful. It's immaterial to my point either way.

My thing is more why people are bothered by her potentially being stronger than Thor. It's a stupid thing to be upset about and almost always leads to people making specifically gendered comments which imply that it's because she's a woman that her being powerful is problematic.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

My theory is that she'll be something akin to comic Nova Prime, rather than a Kree. Or maybe a Kree defector who volunteered for the the Xandrian equivalent of the Super Soldier program.

If she's comparable in strength and power to Nova Prime or comic Carol (either as Ms. Marvel, Warbird, or especially Binary), then she stands a good chance of being legitimately the most individually dangerous person in MCU, considering that we had a recent threat where Classic Rogue was strongly argued to be capable of destroying the MCU Avengers by herself, mostly using 616 Ms. Marvel's powers.

And, of course, Adam Warlock will be coming in as well, presumably.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    I've not seen either of the directors say that myself; only ever seen Kevin Feige, who is a producer, saying she's the most powerful. It's immaterial to my point either way.

My thing is more why people are bothered by her potentially being stronger than Thor. It's a stupid thing to be upset about and almost always leads to people making specifically gendered comments which imply that it's because she's a woman that her being powerful is problematic.
    I completely agree with the premise that people getting upset because "woman" is weak, lame, disgusting and they should be better than that by now.

To speak to the actual points...

I would charitably like to think that fans would be upset if CM is stronger than Thor because that's such a massive departure from the source.

Feige is not just a producer, but the program director / showrunner for Marvel Studios and all of the tie-in stuff. If anyone would know her relative powerlevel, it's him.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Astonishing Member

If this happens in Thanos' bathroom I'll forgive everything I disliked about him in Infinity War.

Hey! I *LOVE* strong women. Like a lot. I love strong and competent women. It’s just I do not like it that said character, who will just “show up” and be that Freakken strong from appearance because of reasons. Yes she has a prequel movie that show cases why, she may get less Sue in my opinion.

I just hate random character showing up out doing everyone due to reasons. At least Thanos got build up for a decade with hints he will show up and he did.

I mean hell my favorite video game characters are women ones.

And let it be known the folks I hate the most are the Tencgo Verse people. Light Hawk Wings my ass. ( Along with the Space Smurfs. That a 40k fan would get that joke.)

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    If this happens in Thanos' bathroom I'll forgive everything I disliked about him in Infinity War.
    Awesome callback.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate