Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Green Lantern Squad vs. Silver Surfer

Norrin has marked the planet Mogo for destruction. The lanterns have 72 hours to find and kill him to stop Galactus from showing up.

RULES: Norrin can hide or run away as a tactic, but he cannot retreat more than one pluto sized orbit away from Mogo or the planet will no longer be "marked".

Mogo cannot leave the system.

Lanterns get a full Rumbles style breakdown of Surfers abilities and feats for basic knowledge.

The Lanterns tasked with finding and killing Norrin are:

Kyle Rayner
    Hal Jordan
    John Stewart
    Guy Gardner
    Sinestro (green ring)
    Kilowag

Can they track him down somewhere in the surrounding solar system in the 72 hours provided? Can they defeat him if they do find him? Or will Galactus feast?
    Last edited by The Arbiter; 01-23-2019 at 02:37 PM.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

These are POST CRISIS lanterns btw. Sorry for not specifying
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

If they know so much, they know how ****ed they are.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Norrin has marked the planet Mogo for destruction. The lanterns have 72 hours to find and kill him to stop Galactus from showing up.

RULES: Norrin can hide or run away as a tactic, but he cannot retreat more than one pluto sized orbit away from Mogo or the planet will no longer be "marked".

Mogo cannot leave the system.

Lanterns get a full Rumbles style breakdown of Surfers abilities and feats for basic knowledge.

The Lanterns tasked with finding and killing Norrin are:

Kyle Rayner
    Hal Jordan
    John Stewart
    Guy Gardner
    Sinestro (green ring)
    Kilowag

Can they track him down somewhere in the surrounding solar system in the 48 hours provided? Can they defeat him if they do find him? Or will Galactus feast?
    A thousand wags?

Can Norrin take that many wags?

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    A thousand wags?

Can Norrin take that many wags?
    kilowOg *grumble grumble*
    - big_adventure

Are there inhabited worlds in the system that the Surfer could just turn himself into some random inhabitant of and wait it out that way?

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    Are there inhabited worlds in the system that the Surfer could just turn himself into some random inhabitant of and wait it out that way?
    I mean he just needs to find an icy/frozen world. He can turn himself into snow.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Right. I'm basically saying, he has a variety of potential "this never gets to be a fight" options.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I was thinking more like gas giants and martian landscapes
    - big_adventure

BANNED

Why not, for sake of argument, discount things like turning himself completely into a rock in some asteroid field type stuff, they can 'see' him, though he may very well be intangible/unattackable. So, that's still a big problem. It's a lot of area to cover, like looking for a specific spec of sand on the ocean floor, I mean, just 'finding' him would be a challenge in itself. I'd argue, cause this is comics, yes they'd find him and maybe have a few hours, say 1-6, left to take him down.

In this case, again what the hell do they do against his intangibility?! He pops that and just whistles dixie until Big G comes along for his afternoon snack.

Quote Originally Posted by seaturkey View Post
    Why not, for sake of argument, discount things like turning himself completely into a rock in some asteroid field type stuff, they can 'see' him, though he may very well be intangible/unattackable. So, that's still a big problem. It's a lot of area to cover, like looking for a specific spec of sand on the ocean floor, I mean, just 'finding' him would be a challenge in itself. I'd argue, cause this is comics, yes they'd find him and maybe have a few hours, say 1-6, left to take him down.

In this case, again what the hell do they do against his intangibility?! He pops that and just whistles dixie until Big G comes along for his afternoon snack.
    Lanterns have affected intangible beings before as well as become intangible themselves. It's rare, but has happened.
    - big_adventure

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Lanterns have affected intangible beings before as well as become intangible themselves. It's rare, but has happened.
    Of SS caliber?? I mean, there's someone like say kitty pride, who does wear down/tire out, but someone like SS can be intangible virtually forever and in various frequencies/degrees). But let's say that they can, effectively force him out of it/hit him. I still just see SS outclassing the GL corps, in virtually all categories and by a good margin, but it would be a fun fight to watch!

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by seaturkey View Post

What Arby said, but also point of order: this isn't comics. A rumbles scenario doesn't hinge on showing up at the most dramatic moment. The real question is whether or not the rings and Mogo can collectively come up with sort of sensory array that can lock onto the power cosmic.

Of course, even if they do, speed isn't equalized. Surfer should be able to feel them coming with his cosmic awareness and just jet to the other side of the solar system before they can close in, perhaps opening a black hole to cover his escape like he did in Annihilation.

I could buy the Lanterns being able to do some auto targeting nonsense if Surfer was restricted to a smaller area, but they aren't going to be making a solar system sized net to catch him in. (Heaven's Ladder not withstanding I guess.)

Edit: I guess technically if they can find him, John can target him from that range and they can do the Mogo death star thing with him aiming, as had happened a few times. But given those vast distances and Surfer's speed I'd think he'd just dodge it.
    Last edited by Captain Morgan; 01-23-2019 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    What Arby said, but also point of order: this isn't comics. A rumbles scenario doesn't hinge on showing up at the most dramatic moment. The real question is whether or not the rings and Mogo can collectively come up with sort of sensory array that can lock onto the power cosmic.

Of course, even if they do, speed isn't equalized. Surfer should be able to feel them coming with his cosmic awareness and just jet to the other side of the solar system before they can close in, perhaps opening a black hole to cover his escape like he did in Annihilation.

I could buy the Lanterns being able to do some auto targeting nonsense if Surfer was restricted to a smaller area, but they aren't going to be making a solar system sized net to catch him in. (Heaven's Ladder not withstanding I guess.)

Edit: I guess technically if they can find him, John can target him from that range and they can do the Mogo death star thing with him aiming, as had happened a few times. But given those vast distances and Surfer's speed I'd think he'd just dodge it.
    I also wouldn't peg a single shot being enough to kill him. Damage him, probably but ... boy is mad durable.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

I think that between hiding as terrain features and fleeing, he should be able to just run out the clock without it really ever getting to a fight.