Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I think that between hiding as terrain features and fleeing, he should be able to just run out the clock without it really ever getting to a fight.
    With that much firepower, the Lanterns could potentially flush him out by just traveling from world to world and blowing them to pieces.

The real problem is catching the massively FTL intangible energy user in some sort of net (not literally a net... but also maybe literally a net lol) with the scale and durability to force the guy to remain in one spot.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

I figured from your terms they actually had to physically find him.

I suppose they could just blow up all the other planets to try and flush him out, though he can still do things like play keep away and open singularities and what have you.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    I also wouldn't peg a single shot being enough to kill him. Damage him, probably but ... boy is mad durable.
    Oh, nah, a Mogo shot? That should drop him just fine. A single blast knocked out Ganthet, after Ganthet had beaten a huge mob of Lanterns. Mogo is pretty scary powerful. If they could get Mogo close enough, he might actually be able to trap Surfer in his gravity well long enough to get zapped. I just have a hard time seeing them catching up with the guy or landing any of this nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Oh, nah, a Mogo shot? That should drop him just fine. A single blast knocked out Ganthet, after Ganthet had beaten a huge mob of Lanterns. Mogo is pretty scary powerful. If they could get Mogo close enough, he might actually be able to trap Surfer in his gravity well long enough to get zapped. I just have a hard time seeing them catching up with the guy or landing any of this nonsense.
    So none of that gives a scale, really, beyond 'knocked a Guardian out'. What's Ganthet otherwise shown durability wise.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

BANNED

the surfer could also enter the micro verse and leave them scratching their heads on how to follow him as I don't remember the post crisis lanterns having size altering powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    I figured from your terms they actually had to physically find him.

I suppose they could just blow up all the other planets to try and flush him out, though he can still do things like play keep away and open singularities and what have you.
    Missed this, but you heard it here first.

The Surfer is the best at intergalactic hide and seek and/or tag.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    So none of that gives a scale, really, beyond 'knocked a Guardian out'. What's Ganthet otherwise shown durability wise.
    Pretty much wading through top tier Lantern blasts. Blasts from a bloodlusted Kilowag did nothing to him, and Kilowag casually yanks giant star ships out of black holes.

The guardians also ignore black holes themselves. They hid away a prison inside of one, but had no issue traveling through it to get in and out.

The Guardians collectively threw down with the Anti-Monitor. The smurfs are generally way above even the best Lanterns across the board. They don't often get involved in battle but what feats they have are nuts.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Could they maybe do some kind of time stop or time dilation strategy?

I remember that some Lanterns have messed with time a bit but that might be pre crisis only.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post

I remember that some Lanterns have messed with time a bit but that might be pre crisis only.
    Could they do some time shenanigans? Maybe. Could they do it to the entire solar system? Hell no. And that's what they'd need to do to catch Surfer.

I do actually remember pre-crisis Hal was supposed to have frozen time in an entire solar system, but I saw it an respect thread and couldn't really tell for sure from the scans.

BANNED

What Arby said, but also point of order: this isn't comics. A rumbles scenario doesn't hinge on showing up at the most dramatic moment.
    So, the OP comes up with a comic book scenario using comic book characters and instead of playing out/imaging the scenario as it would unfold in a comic book, you just go down a feats checklist without factoring in any of the comic book-y variables that can and always do come into play in a comic book situation like the one presented by the OP? You can't just go from A then skip the rest to Z, doing so completely discounts the intangibles in any scenario, and is frankly both very short sighted and lacking in a fundamental understanding of how a situation would occur as a result, my dude.

Whats funny is that you're saying SS would just run and hide until the clock runs out, which is problematic to begin with. Why would SS hide in the first place? SS isn't exactly known for being subtle when he prep's a world for Galactus' arrival/consumption. Also, I really don't think the GL's are much of a threat to him in the first place (save the planet Mogo itself), so just exactly why would he even feel the need to hide his presence? I could more readily see SS just come in and wreck the GL's here, especially if they're separated/searching for him, making the fights 1v1, until the rest can catch up, but that might be too late, IMO.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Kind of been over this before, here and here.

And in other places, I'm sure, but those were people replying directly to yourself regarding how things are done here.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Kind of been over this before, here and here.

And in other places, I'm sure, but those were people replying directly to yourself regarding how things are done here.
    Um, Bullshit. Nothing I stated is CIS or PIS, the scenario is a variable that needs to be factored in, and just because I disagree on the idea that SS would just choose to run and hide instead of fighting the GL's doesn't make it PIS/CIS. The OP said SS 'could' hide as a tactic, doesn't mean he has to or even needs to. Others are saying he'd just play hide n seek, and that the GL's would have a hard time finding him. So what? Hard doesn't mean impossible, so I gave an example of what could occur if/when SS is found.

What makes any other poster's claim that SS would hide like a coward (something SS most certainly is NOT, btw) more valid than my claim that he either A) doesn't hide from them at all or B) get's hunted down and they fight? Please enlighten me.

But since we're suddenly talking mod rules, tell me this: Why does the 'mod rulings' thread state that deathstroke hitting flash/speedsters is always PIS (despite it happening repeatedly over the years) but Val Armor's showings of his battling Kryptonian-level opponents isn't PIS cause 'he done it repeatedly over the years'? Double-standard much?

*Edit for the record, I'm disagreeing with the logic for Val, DS should not be able to tag flash unless flash wants him to.
    Last edited by seaturkey; 01-24-2019 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by seaturkey View Post
    So, the OP comes up with a comic book scenario using comic book characters and instead of playing out/imaging the scenario as it would unfold in a comic book, you just go down a feats checklist without factoring in any of the comic book-y variables that can and always do come into play in a comic book situation like the one presented by the OP?
    W
    Yes.

Thats funny is that you're saying SS would just run and hide until the clock runs out, which is problematic to begin with. Why would SS hide in the first place? SS isn't exactly known for being subtle when he prep's a world for Galactus' arrival/consumption.
    If you're assuming he's in character, Norrin is a pacifist who has no need to seek out a fight in the first place and therefore probably wouldn't. If he has to fight eventually, he might as well do it when Galactus is there and victory is assured.

If you're assuming he's under rumbles bloodlust as default, that means he's less "wolverine in berserk mode" and more "I'm going to act in the most efficient way possible to win." In which case, see above.

Also, I really don't think the GL's are much of a threat to him in the first place (save the planet Mogo itself), so just exactly why would he even feel the need to hide his presence?
    Actually, post crisis Kyle alone has the moxy to last a bit with Surfer when you remove the factor of Surfer's speed. (See here for an extended discussion about this.) In this scenario, Kyle is backed up by a bunch of other top tier Lanterns and actually have a way to slow Surfer down with the AoE gravity tricks Mogo can pull. Surfer MIGHT still be able to win by blitzing them fast enough, but I can't really see why he would bother trying in or out of character.

I mean, if this was a comic, what would actually happen is Surfer would fight with some Lanterns for a bit, and eventually they would all team up to fight some other threat that was pulling the strings the whole time and come up with a different way to feed Galactus. That's why we don't treat these as comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post

Could they do some time shenanigans? Maybe. Could they do it to the entire solar system? Hell no. And that's what they'd need to do to catch Surfer.

I do actually remember pre-crisis Hal was supposed to have frozen time in an entire solar system, but I saw it an respect thread and couldn't really tell for sure from the scans.
    I also dunno how well that'd work, on the whole, given he generally treats time like a joke.

As far as the Guardians go, that's pretty good specifically the Anti-Monitor feat ... but compared to what was mentioned before, that itself seems off ?

Also, heh. Kilowag. Too many wags.

Arx Inosaan

Also, as far as how durable/powerful Surfer himself is, he's generally portrayed (and as far as I know accepted as), someone who treats Beta Ray Bill like a joke, and has a soul-searching conversation with himself while the Hulk stomps on his head.

I don't doubt Mogo could do some damage, but I dunno if I'd grant the single shot a win.

Arx Inosaan