Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member

l liked it when the rings were just designed by Oa or Qward scientists and engineers. The color was a side effect and having reactions controlled or aborted by wavelength as compared to the human perceptual construct of color made some sense. Such reactions happen in nature. The emotion was stupid and suspending disbelief is ok but we all know specific scientific things and this one was stupid. Yeah, most powers are stupid but being blatant (as in Earth was the center of life) demonstrates the failure of modern education (as least for these writers). The basic intro science curriculum in college should smack them in the head.

Given Norrin's speed alone, I just don't see how any of the Lanterns can close quickly enough on Norrin, and react to do what needs be done, to keep Norrin from completing his assignment.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    l liked it when the rings were just designed by Oa or Qward scientists and engineers. The color was a side effect and having reactions controlled or aborted by wavelength as compared to the human perceptual construct of color made some sense. Such reactions happen in nature. The emotion was stupid and suspending disbelief is ok but we all know specific scientific things and this one was stupid. Yeah, most powers are stupid but being blatant (as in Earth was the center of life) demonstrates the failure of modern education (as least for these writers). The basic intro science curriculum in college should smack them in the head.

Well DC is way more Judeo Christian as it references Lucifer and Michael and stuff.

Earth is the center of the universe hence if it goes, so does universe in question ( due to that stuff)

Marvel is not like that at all, Earth, is just a planet like any other (!Save for Ego who is a sapient one.)

Astonishing Member

That center of the universe point of view came about with all these crises that reset the multiverse of infinite universes, each of which has a trillion galaxies and 100 billion stars, taking place with a focus on Earth. Rather silly but that's the plot. The Earth is about 3 billion years (old) and the universe is 13.8 billion and has no center. I guess the DCU is some kind of weird little universe.

These generalisations about DC and marvel are not true at all. Both DC and Marvel essentially only had the "earth as the centre of the universe" thing for in story convenience basically, especially for their "end of infinite universes" stories which are far easier to write by focusing on a single planet (earth) as the cornerstone of the Multiverse. Otherwise just as an example, Oa is generally the "center"of the DCU

Also generalizations about either company in general are baseless since stories are written by individual writers, most of whom end up working for both companies at some point. Almost anything that can be said for the one can be said for the other as well
    Last edited by The Dork Knight; 01-30-2019 at 02:35 PM.

Actually I don't think earth's ever been noted to be the geographical centre of either universe. It's more a "cornerstone"/ foundation kind of deal, which Marvel uses just as much as DC

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    That center of the universe point of view came about with all these crises that reset the multiverse of infinite universes, each of which has a trillion galaxies and 100 billion stars, taking place with a focus on Earth. Rather silly but that's the plot. The Earth is about 3 billion years (old) and the universe is 13.8 billion and has no center. I guess the DCU is some kind of weird little universe.

A trillion galaxies in a universe is actually quite small; by real world standards. Though I get your point.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    A trillion galaxies in a universe is actually quite small; by real world standards. Though I get your point.
    It's really not "quite small."

Depending on how one counts universes and galaxies, there could be anywhere from 100 billion to 2 trillion galaxies in our universe. But even that higher number is somewhat fraught: it's talking about "observeable" galaxies, but there are fewer and fewer larger unique galaxies over time, as they will tend to merge together over time. Thanks to time dilation (light is fast as hell, but not compared to intergalactic distances), lots of those "observeable" galaxies are light from hundreds of millions of years ago, and many of the thus-observed galaxies no longer exist, at least not as unique galaxies.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

I'm like 90% sure this hasn't been bought up, I know stealth was, but I don't think this was. Namely, the death of Dawn Greenwood. In Volume 8, last year, through various time travel shenanigans, holo-doubles of her family, and a lot of other highly entertaining cosmic weirdness, Norrin and Dawn ended up in the universe before 616. Galan's home. They watched him enter the cosmic egg to eventually become Galactus. When Dawn died of old age Norrin transformed her body into the first light in the universe then returned to the present the same way Doom did once upon a time. By waiting. From the dawn of time, all the way to the present, waiting for his younger self to go back in time with Dawn so he could just...resume being himself openly as Silver Surfer. He hid from the cosmic awareness of universal forces, gods, Celestials, Galactus, and his younger self, for trillions of years, successfully. He's the oldest living thing in the universe, depending on how you count certain cosmic types of life, and spent the enormous majority of it in perfect stealth. If he wants to hide from some Lanterns, I have absolutely zero doubt he could.
    "Money and muscle, that’s what I want; to be able to do any damned thing I want and get away with it. Money won’t do that altogether, because if a man is a weakling, all the money in the world won’t enable him to soak an enemy himself; on the other hand, unless he has money he may not be able to get away with it."
    Robert E. Howard

Sweet mercy 0_o
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Sweet mercy 0_o
    No mercy.

Only a nude silver man, with a surfboard.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by rhyvurg View Post
    I'm like 90% sure this hasn't been bought up, I know stealth was, but I don't think this was. Namely, the death of Dawn Greenwood. In Volume 8, last year, through various time travel shenanigans, holo-doubles of her family, and a lot of other highly entertaining cosmic weirdness, Norrin and Dawn ended up in the universe before 616. Galan's home. They watched him enter the cosmic egg to eventually become Galactus. When Dawn died of old age Norrin transformed her body into the first light in the universe then returned to the present the same way Doom did once upon a time. By waiting. From the dawn of time, all the way to the present, waiting for his younger self to go back in time with Dawn so he could just...resume being himself openly as Silver Surfer. He hid from the cosmic awareness of universal forces, gods, Celestials, Galactus, and his younger self, for trillions of years, successfully. He's the oldest living thing in the universe, depending on how you count certain cosmic types of life, and spent the enormous majority of it in perfect stealth. If he wants to hide from some Lanterns, I have absolutely zero doubt he could.
    Minor point - the universe is about 13.8 billion years old, so he didn’t hide out for trillions of years.

Nevertheless, that’s ridiculous.