Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I've seen more then a few YouTubers who've done those kinds of things. Captain Marvel, specifically, seems to have quite the devoted hate following as well, for some reason.

Yeah, I don't think the armchair critics understand how markets work. (Wish stores around here were carrying those Jessica Cruz figures.)
    I might see a figure of her once in awhile.

Patriot from Marvel Rising-a 3 hour online battle to order him from Target and to this day he is still not in stores unlike the rest.

One thing I forgot to add sometimes that stuff gets released and makes it to the shelf months later. Something I saw happen with Donald Glover, Marques Houston (Roger from Sister Sister) & Mack Wilds (90210 & The Wire). They all had cds come out way back in November 2009. Same time as a Glee cd, Tron Legacy soundtrack and I think a Drake or Nicki Minja album.

I did not see any of those cds at a store or even listed as in stock (locally) until March. So Glover, Houston & Wilds lost sales because for some odd reason everyone here from Target to Best Buy-could not get the cds on shelves for some reason.
    Same thing happened with Star Trek Beyond (blue ray) and Fantastic Four. Now before anyone says they under performed at the box office might be the reason-that issue didn't stop Ghostbusters, Pixels and various Disney flops from not being in stock.

It's just funny Cap Marvel gets the hate but not Wonder Woman or Supergirl or Harley or Mera or Catwoman or Women of X-Men.

I saw a post criticizing that the characters in the Marvel movies are not exactly the characters they were in the original comics or even more recent ones. It reminded me of a joke a friend of mine posted on Facebook.

Answer: I realize that decades have gone by and that our culture has drastically changed AND that film is a different medium from comics. Hence, I understand that the beloved characters of my childhood are being presented in ways significantly different than their original presentation in the comic books of my youth- and I'm okay with that.

Question: What is something that you will almost never hear anyone say on social media?
    Funny thing is those guys don't seem ti mind some of it as long as certain demographics are not the leads.
    No comic book movie or show follows the source material 100%.

What is it with you guys and conspiracy theories? Would X-men movie fans hate the DCEU with such fervour if it was no1?
    The hate for Disney is from the fact Disney understands the road to profit goes through KIDS.

That kid does not CARE who came first Miles or Peter nor an entire city of black folks or a guy who plays with ants or a blonde whose book has restarted 5 times since 2013.
    The same kid who loved a black kid with dreads flying on trash can lids from Dakota named Virgil Hawkins.
    That is who Disney wants. Because that means PROFIT.

They don't care for the 45-50 year old who thinks only guys who have "high" comic book sales should have everything. The same ones stabbing, burning, EATING or tearing up certain comic books and action figures.
    Who don't understand how two of the top grossing solo super hero films are about a guy who talks to fish and a Wakandan King and not Batman, Superman Or Logan.

They don't see all those fans who don't read comics but like the characters from tv shows or even graphic novels.
    They don't see that void Black Panther filled for black kids who were lucky to avoid seeing Steel & Catwoman.
    They don't see those little girls who want to see a VARIETY of super heroines.

They are mad that they can't stop it but they are going to try with Cap Marvel.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    What are you talking about. I've never seen anyone go hard on Wright, so I'm curious what people might have said. Must have been deleted before I saw it. Baby driver got alot of love on here.
    correct. the original content (and my response, because I quoted it) were both deleted by a moderator in less than 24 hours of it showing up. as it was a couple of years ago I honestly don't remember who posted the original libelous content. I don't really care to paraphrase or re-post the original criticisms of Wright: because to do so would invite entirely justified moderator action against myself.

it was unquestionably libelous content. here's the thing a lot of people don't understand - you can write something that can be proven to be true and it can STILL be libel and cause for legal action against you based on intent and consequences.

to move back on topic a bit: sometimes, once in awhile, the reboot is an improvement on the source material. "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" is easily the best overall MLP animated property ever made.

at other times - it's not really about the quality of the show, but that people dislike the change in direction or tone. I remember a lot of people hated "Batman: the Brave and the Bold" when it came out... and when I finally saw it, I thought "hey, this show is actually really fun."

then there was the opposite end where people declared that Nolan's Batman films were grimdark, humorless, and terrible... and there's a fair amount of humor in those films. you might not LIKE that approach to humor - but it's still there. sure, it wasn't Adam West levels of camp humor, but it was there nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I might see a figure of her once in awhile.

Patriot from Marvel Rising-a 3 hour online battle to order him from Target and to this day he is still not in stores unlike the rest.

One thing I forgot to add sometimes that stuff gets released and makes it to the shelf months later. Something I saw happen with Donald Glover, Marques Houston (Roger from Sister Sister) & Mack Wilds (90210 & The Wire). They all had cds come out way back in November 2009. Same time as a Glee cd, Tron Legacy soundtrack and I think a Drake or Nicki Minja album.
    Could be.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It's just funny Cap Marvel gets the hate but not Wonder Woman or Supergirl or Harley or Mera or Catwoman or Women of X-Men.
    I think the parties in question were already scapegoating the character for whatever manufactured outrage they wanted to vent. Also, Captain Marvel is a lead character, not a supporting character or teammember, so I think she plays more into the fears of people who believe that comics are a white males only club.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Nope, reread what you originally posted. You were not talking about tone. You were talking about specific scenes. And you said they used it in the sequel (the one that Edgar Wright was in no way involved in. The narration scene by Luis was the most well liked scene. And it was added after EW left.
    Excuse me, I know what I was referring to. You don’t. Considering I am more than familiar with the post you referred to and quoted it myself. Either way my point stands.

The OVERALL TONE of the move is narrational. There are multiple scenes where the story is being told as the scene develops in the action.. Consider the “here is my plan” scene in SotD. Same tone, same style. A style developed from Reservoir Dogs / Snatched / Shaun of the Dead etc. A very 90s and 2000’s aesthetic. I am not talking about character “voice” that’s a mere detail, I am talking about tone and style. The incongruity of plan and action. The Chekhov’s shotgun behind the bar knowing nod to the audience.

Nobody has a working shotgun behind the bar in the UK, that would be illegal and stupid. But, we know it will work, be loaded and be used to kill zombies. Nobody can just walk into an ex superhero’s house and steal a high-tech suit but of course they will manage it. All because the story is being narrated by the hero and therefore the incongruity is resolved. The Pratchet “million to one chance” becomes a certainty.

“Here’s a crazy tale that only works in stories, but this is a story so you know it will work.”
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 02-11-2019 at 04:56 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Nobody can just walk into an ex superhero’s house and steal a high-tech suit but of course they will manage it.
    Scott Lang was allowed/coerced to steal the suit because the Pym's wanted him to.