View Poll Results: Your favorite era of the Disney Animated Canon

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Golden Era (Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs-Bambi)

4 12.50%
  • The WWII Era (Saludos Amigos-The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad)

0 0%
  • The Silver Era (Cinderella-The Jungle Book)

7 21.88%
  • The Bronze Era (The Aristocats-Oliver & Company)

2 6.25%
  • The Renaissance Era (The Little Mermaid-Tarzan)

16 50.00%
  • The Transition Era (Fantasia 2000-Bolt)

0 0%
  • The Revival Era (The Princess & The Frog-Zootopia)

3 9.38%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Your favorite era of the Disney Animated Canon?

http://blog.bcdb.com/disney-cartoon-canon-index/

The Disney Animated Canon is the unofficial name of all the major, big, full animated theatrical features created by Disney's in-house animation division, Walt Disney Animation Studios. From 1937's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, to 2016's Zootopia, these films have entertained many a generation of children and adults, who would look back on plenty of these 55 movies. 55 movies in 79 years. Oh yes, that's definitely quite a lot.

Well, with the recent release of Zootopia and the 80th year approaching, I decided to make this. As to be expected for something this long-running, there are various different "eras" of the Disney Animated Canon. However, with the exception of one particular era, none of these eras are officially named or set in stone. As such, here are listed eras here solely for this poll:

1. The Golden Era (1937-1942)
    -The beginning of the canon, and the films to lay the groundwork for decades to come. Consists of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo, and Bambi.

2. The World War II Era (1943-1949)
    -The age of compilations, when WWII pressed many of the key animators into service and forcing the studio to make cheaper films. Consists of Saludos Amigos, The Three Caballeros, Make Mine Music, Fun & Fancy Free, Melody Time, and The Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad.

3. The Silver Era (1950-1967)
    -The return to form for Disney, and the creation of further commercial & critical successes until Walt's untimely death. Consists of Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp, Sleeping Beauty, 101 Dalmatians, The Sword in the Stone, and The Jungle Book.

4. The Bronze Era (1970-1988)
    -The age of classic, yet questionable films, as the studio struggled to find its way without the founder. Consists of The Aristocats, Robin Hood, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, The Rescuers, The Fox and the Hound, The Black Cauldron, The Great Mouse Detective, and Oliver & Company.

5. The Renaissance Era (1989-1999)
    -The (arguably) most successful era of them all, as Disney re-cemented themselves as an animation powerhouse. Consists of The Little Mermaid, The Rescuers Down Under, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan and Tarzan.

6. The Transition Era (1999-2008)
    -The decade of uncertainty, as the studio created some questionable outings, and made some questionable decisions. Consists of Fantasia 2000, Dinosaur, The Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Lilo & Stitch, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Home on the Range, Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, and Bolt

7. The Revival Era (2009-???)
    -The rebound that proclaimed: Disney is back. Consists of The Princess & The Frog, Tangled, Winnie the Pooh, Wreck-It Ralph, Frozen, Big Hero 6, and Zootopia.

As of now, we have two definite upcoming movies, #56 Moana and #57 Gigantic. Whether or not these films will continue the Revival Era or be the start of a new era remains to be seen, but for now, there's the 7 eras. So pick your favorite, and let's take a trip down memory lane.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Tough choice between Gold and Silver, but I went with Silver.

If the Pixar stuff was included in the Revival era, that might edge it out.

Yeah, Pixar's stuff is most definitely good...except that's the thing. They were still made by Pixar, not WDAS. Sure, Pixar might be owned by Disney now, but as just another branch of the company. Harsh and unfair, I know, but that's how it is.

Though honestly, Pixar did have a factor in where Disney is at now with the Animated Canon. John Lasseter is one thing, but supposedly one of the factors in the start of the revival era was an observation of Bob Iger at how Pixar was continually kicking their ass during the Transition era.
    Last edited by Xalfrea; 03-06-2016 at 08:15 AM.

I don't think anything will surpass the genius and innovation of Snow White, Pinocchio, Fantasia and Bambi.

The Renaissance was great, but only because it approached that Golden era.

BANNED

The era of Wolfgang Reitherman.

The "Disney Renaissance" of the late '80s and '90s was such a crap era for Disney. It was a complete retreat from where they were, a regression into Disney's past, a bunch of boring faux golden age cartoons. And it gave way to basically the death of Disney cartoons.
    Last edited by simbob4000; 03-06-2016 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    Sure, he was one of the "Old Men. But the films he directed are far from Disney's best.

It's a tough call between "the Silver Era" and "the Renaissance"; ultimately I voted for the Renaissance Era. One film gave me the deciding vote: in my heart the ultimate Disney movie is Beauty and the Beast (1992). It's beautiful, it's funny, it's powerful, it's well paced, great songs and revolutionary in technique and critical acclaim. I cannot praise it enough (it's the only Disney film in my "Top 100" list (http://community.comicbookresources....est-Films-quot); and I could not vote for any era that Beauty and the Beast isn't part of. Those are the two eras of Disney films that got me into a love of animation; enchanting and enthralling me from an early age. I still watch them, and still enjoy them immensely (though randomly my husband has Emperor's New Groove (2000) on right now, lol).

Last edited by Kieran_Frost; 03-06-2016 at 08:55 AM.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Sure, he was one of the "Old Men. But the films he directed are far from Disney's best.
    As a whole, they're easily the best. There are maybe a few better here and there, Pinocchio, The Fox and the Hound, but that's really about it. As a group of films they're the standout, and his co-directed movie Sleeping Beauty is the best tradicional Disney princess type movie the studio ever produced...it by far the best looking Disney cartoon ever made, probably the best looking cartoon ever made.

The "Disney Renaissance" of the late '80s and '90s was such a crap era for Disney. It was a complete retreat from where they were, a regression into Disney's past, a bunch of boring faux golden age cartoons. And it gave way to basically the death of Disney cartoons.
    You know that if there had been no Renaissance Era, there would probably be no Disney Animation studio today, right? The era rejuvenated the ailing studio, both creatively and financially, by reconnecting it to its spirit while updating the ole formula (the same reason the new Revival Era has succeeded in putting WDAS on its golden pedestal again, and the Silver Era before the Renaissance).

Extraordinary Member t hedge coke's Avatar

There's stuff I love in every era, and stuff I'm meh on. Sleeping Beauty still looks so so so damn good. There's so much WW2-era experimentation shared between the first two eras listed, that make a braver period than Disney, pretty much, will ever get back.
    Patsy Walker on TV! Patsy Walker in new comics! Patsy Walker in your brain! And Jessica Jones is the new Nancy! (Oh, and read the Comics Cube.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    You know that if there had been no Renaissance Era, there would probably be no Disney Animation studio today, right? The era rejuvenated the ailing studio, both creatively and financially, by reconnecting it to its spirit while updating the ole formula (the same reason the new Revival Era has succeeded in putting WDAS on its golden pedestal again, and the Silver Era before the Renaissance).
    Saying it rejuvenated them creatively sure is a funny way of putting what they were doing, which is trying to mimic the golden age of Disney animation. Most of the stuff the studio threw money at in that era was also try hard pretentious garbage. Beauty and the Beast is probably the only time during that era they trying making a hit where the movie actually turned out good. It's also when they started making those direct to video sequels.

You know Disney Animation Studios basically died? Part of the big deal about that Princess and the Frog movie was that it was the first real Disney Animated movie in years, and before that they framed Lilo & Stitch much the same way as a return to form...and Disney was still putting a cartoon out once a year then. They were about dead by the start of the 2000s. Now it's just something with the same name doing CGI cartoons. And those CGi cartoons have only really been good the last few years. And sure, you could say it's still the same thing, but Disney Animation Studios may as well have been dead for all of the 2000s.

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Wow your the first person I've ever heard bad mouth the renaissance Disney movies. Sure some of the later ones weren't great, but I think the first four were classic. I even liked the hunchback and Mulan.

Saying it rejuvenated them creatively sure is a funny way of putting what they were doing, which is trying to mimic the golden age of Disney animation. Most of the stuff the studio threw money at in that era was also try hard pretentious garbage. Beauty and the Beast is probably the only time during that era they trying making a hit where the movie actually turned out good. It's also when they started making those direct to video sequels.

You know Disney Animation Studios basically died? Part of the big deal about that Princess and the Frog movie was that it was the first real Disney Animated movie in years, and before that they framed Lilo & Stitch much the same way as a return to form...and Disney was still putting a cartoon out once a year then. They were about dead by the start of the 2000s. Now it's just something with the same name doing CGI cartoons. And those CGi cartoons have only really been good the last few years. And sure, you could say it's still the same thing, but Disney Animation Studios may as well have been dead for all of the 2000s.
    The late and great Howard Ashman made a stirring case about why Disney should return to its musical and fairytale tradition, which is what gave birth to the Renaissance Era. It is all there in the revealing Waking Sleeping Beauty documentary. You might as well say every era with musical movies was trying to mimic the Golden Age then. Also, other than maybe Pocahontas, which of the Renaissance classics was "pretentious try hard garbage" again?

Regarding their fall after Tarzan, that was because Pixar and Dreamworks came hard at the market with the hip new CGI medium (and were also producing better features in the early 2000s). Disney had an identity crisis of sorts again, where they tried to target teenage boys with inane fare like Treasure Planet, Atlantis and Brother Bear. I think only Lilo & Stitch was the sole success of that era.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xalfrea View Post
    Yeah, Pixar's stuff is most definitely good...except that's the thing. They were still made by Pixar, not WDAS. Sure, Pixar might be owned by Disney now, but as just another branch of the company. Harsh and unfair, I know, but that's how it is.

Though honestly, Pixar did have a factor in where Disney is at now with the Animated Canon. John Lasseter is one thing, but supposedly one of the factors in the start of the revival era was an observation of Bob Iger at how Pixar was continually kicking their ass during the Transition era.
    Pixar was always distributed by Disney, but yeah, they were creatively separate. Now, through combining personnel and effort the Pixar and Disney brands have evened out. Inside Out and Frozen are both among my favorite animated films of all time. I imagine at some point, the two brands will be officially combined.

When Disney was also distributing the Studio Ghibli stuff in the U.S., they were bringing us pretty much 100% of the really good animated features.

The Renaissance era started off really well, but went to hell really fast. The Hunchback of Notre Dame is one of my least favorite animated movies of all time. By the time that era wound down, the animation art was so flat and one-dimensional it would have made Hanna and Barbera blush with shame.

I would say the post-Walt Bronze Age is the most underrated. A lot of it is very good, but was hampered by the fact that animated features had really fallen out of favor by then and were considered strictly kids' entertainment.

None of the eras were total losses. Even the transition era had Lilo & Stitch.

90s Disneys movies were bad? Pretty sure Lion King is a movie beloved by most. Aladdin,Lion King,Beauty and The beast, and Hunchback all did well with critics. Also they didnt pander to kids back then which i loved. Now they butchered source material with stuff likr Hunchback,Hercules etc... Yet didnt make the movies any less good, kids dont know **** bout greek gods anyway. Also think The Goofy Movie is an underrated disney movie, iono why but I loved it despite the fact I hated Tevin Cambell and he sang most the songs in the movie.