Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Disney thinks they are too big to fail!

With the news of Disney trying suing a guy for a fan film and a live-action remake of Hunchback even trying to compete with Netflix for their own services, i feel this is the last straw.

I have to say it. Too many people have lowered expectations or vague semblances of standards. Especially when it comes to films. The idea that any film is good if it entertained someone, and it provides jobs is to me personally a giant load of steaming bullshit.

First off, I have no issue if people are entertained by any film. Second, I also appreciate the hard work that gets put into making a film by multiple different people. But for me, the fact that a film was entertaining or that it provided work for someone is not enough of a reason for me to give a film a pass, or to lower my standards or to erase them completely.

Every film should not be a success. Just like every film should not be a failure. Whether it's financially or critically every film should have some kind of barometer for quality. If the barometer is nonexistent or is centered around vague concepts, then there are no heights for a film to climb to, no rewards, and nothing is ever at stake.

And film to me personally is more than just a source of entertainment. It's an art form. It's storytelling. And it is also a product. And as a form of storytelling and art, I want it to be able to continually evolve and to improve. And it will not be able to do that if people adopt the mindset that every film no matter how bad it is or how worthless its value is to cinema as a whole is good, let alone acceptable. Nothing ever gets better that way.

Constructive criticism is vital for improvement and sustained success. Patting every film on the back is not going to produce much improvement let alone success. It has to be held accountable sometimes for failure. Without that accountability, nothing will ever change. The quality of cinema will stay stagnant because the audience has placed their standards to such a low point that the quality never rises. It just stays mired in mediocrity or total ****.

And as a product, I expect the film to be of as high quality as it can be. If the film has a budget of hundreds of millions of dollars, I expect great effects and production values. If it has a low budget I expect the filmmakers to use what little they have to great effect. I also expect the stories to be somewhat original and spins on old ideas. Not lazy retreads of popular stories, characters, and franchises that I already know about and have seen plenty of already.

And the fact that films create jobs is not enough of a reason for me to have lowered standards or none at all. It's great that they provide work opportunities for people. But do you think every pizza you order with delivery is good, let alone great just because it provided a job for the person who made it? I sincerely doubt that you feel that way. I know I don't.

It's the same with films. Just like the pizza, whether or not it provided work for people is completely irrelevant to the overall quality of the product. And if someone enjoys that slice of low effort burnt pizza that doesn't make that pizza worth being made and served to the masses. The same applies to films. If an incompetent, poorly written film gets made and is universally reviled it should not be considered a success just because it got made and one person on the internet kinda of liked it.

If you adopt the mindset that every film is worth being made because it provided work or entertainment? That's fine. But keep in mind that this mindset is devastating for the form of entertainment you enjoy and consume. It essentially gives every film no matter how critics or audiences perceive it a gold star. And if critics and audiences as a whole took that mindset? Studios would crank out low effort films that were mediocre at best until they ran out of money or till the end of time. If you want film studios and filmmakers to strive for above average let alone great? You have to have higher standards than this. I am a movie lover with high standards.

The biggest problem with film today if you ask me boils down to the audiences themselves.

I would argue it's not audiences getting dumber that's the problem. It's audiences lowering their expectations that is. So much of the mass audience nowadays that sees films have standards that are so low that all that matters is that the film was entertaining or had a few scenes they liked. And it's a good if not great movie.

They are also lacking respect for elder cinema, and don't have the necessary knowledge of what makes a film good, great or even truly terrible. They lack appreciation for every aspect of filmmaking and don't really know what is truly good, bad or even mediocre because their standards are so low.

And Hollywood studios know this. This is why they pump out formulaic lazy sequels, remakes, prequels and reboots because they know the audiences eat it up and does not ask that much of them anymore.

Yes. There are exceptions. But they are clearly outnumbered by the mass amount of people who have lowered expectations and let their viewing habits and opinions on films be skewed by youtube videos and rotten tomatoes scores. Further spreading this cancerous disease of little to no standards for filmmaking or storytelling. And the death of the individual opinion amongst the hordes of audience members. The people who say "just watch a movie" or "don't judge it, it's just entertainment."

Need to shut the hell up when it comes to critiquing any review of a movie. Their standards are so low that no one should ever come to them for advice or recommendations of films or take them seriously.

I get pissed at watching a shitty movie, because I actually care. That's why. I care about the filmmaking process and films are more than just strictly entertainment to me. That's only part of it. A considerable part of the effectiveness of any film, but not the only part.

If a film wastes my time, is boring, and has next to no redeeming qualities, I should be upset and so should you. If you aren't that's another problem all together. We have ourselves to blame! eventually the returns are going to diminish and when they do? We have no one to blame but ourselves.

Or more importantly, do you? And if you don't want to see this? Then don't pay for it. Speak with your wallet. Wait to rent those films on blu ray or dvd. Don't just pay for a ticket just because of name recognition. That is exactly what leads to more remakes, prequels, reboots and sequels and the death of originality in mainstream cinema.

I have no desire to see it but slavishly praising the live action Beauty and the Beast and not realizing it for the shameless cash grab that it is? hate that they are doing this. There's a reason why adapting classic fairytales into animation works best. These live action films have been mediocre to disastrous. Although Jungle Book wasn't quite a direct remake of the 1967 film but there were some homages to it and more of another adaptation of Kipling's novel unlike a direct shot to shot remake of Beauty and the Beast. Is the reason why we get so many half assed remakes made and released in theaters? That exact mindset.

This is such a great video. And it savagely smacks Disney where it hurts with a brilliant rendition of Part Of Your World. Disney truly does feel that they are too big to fail. Which is why I am going to tell that mouse to suck it and ban his furry ass in 2019.

I want the Disney that made the original and was a genuine trendsetter back in the good old days. Not the current version which is just pumping out reheated left overs, bad Pirates sequels with a upcoming reboot, sequels to Pixar films (except Incredibles 2 which i wanted a sequel since 2004 and Toy Story 4 is not needed when the story ended with 3 as your just beating a dead horse after 3) and failed adaptations of parts of their park like Tomorrowland.

I have come to the sobering reality that in essence the audiences going to movies today are to blame for the chain of unoriginality being unbroken. For the countless streams of sequels, reboots, and remakes. No. They are rolling in your cash. They have no reason to stop rehashing the same plotlines and using the same formula over and over again. And is that really what you want? You can't keep doing the same thing again, and again, and again, and keep expecting the same result. Eventually the returns are going to diminish and when they do? We have no one to blame but ourselves.

Also have you heard they have now officially axed X-force due to the Fox Merger!? This right here proves that Disney does not give a flying **** about the property nor what it has achieved when the first film came out. I've been on the hard edge against Disney in the past few months but im honestly at the point where im now officially throwing in the towel and kick the Mouse ciao and goodbye for good. They screwed up star wars, they are greedy as **** and power hungry even when it comes to suing someone over a fan film as i heard lately, they wanna constantly silence fans and push agendas, their Marvel films needs a serious break and screw all those lazy piece of **** live action in name only rip off remakes plus Toy Story 4 but i will give Disney chance if it's something new like Zootopia or the Wreck it Ralph franchise or if Pixar stops with sequels (although Incredibles 2 was the only sequel since Toy Story 3 i find enjoyable). I've been feeling this for a long time but the recent X-force cancellation is the absolute final nail for me.

I am done with Disney period unless there's something new/fresh like Zootopia and Wreck it Ralph. They are a monopoly and something needs to be done to make them at least change their course a bit. I know it hurts, but it's the honest truth and comes from my heart.

Do you think Black Panther was the best picture of the year or just the most woke picture of the year? Do you think Disney pressured the Academy to nominate Black Panther while snubbing Aquaman
    for even an effects nomination? Do you think the effects of Black Panther deserved an effects nomination if Aquaman didn't?

The fan film if you mean the Star Wars one he wasn't sued it was a threat to take off YouTube with a strike and it wasn't even Disney it was Warner Music. The guy said Lucasfilm came in a stopped it.

Remakes, Sequel Madness, and franchises have been nuts since the 80's this isn't new just people pretending it is, is what's new.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 01-24-2019 at 07:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Do you think Black Panther was the best picture of the year or just the most woke picture of the year? Do you think Disney pressured the Academy to nominate Black Panther while snubbing Aquaman
    for even an effects nomination? Do you think the effects of Black Panther deserved an effects nomination if Aquaman didn't?
    edited: Misread, you were talking about the effects nomination not best picture.
    Last edited by Kusanagi; 01-24-2019 at 08:55 AM.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

I couldn't read through all of that, just skimmed it long enough to prove my hunch that, like almost every other post I've read from Tom Servofan, this is a complaint against sequels, remakes, and reboots and his opinion that every franchise of the 80s should be dead. Which is fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if I personally disagree with it, but that it keeps coming down to this same topic, over and over and over again, and the anger that is often expressed with these sort of long diatribes, makes me question if he gains any pleasure from movies at all. There are still plenty of movies out there that don't fall in the sequel/remake/reboot category, can't he just be happy with those and let those of us who enjoy our old franchises as continuing and evolving stories just be happy we're getting this stuff? It takes nothing away from him, there are still tons of movies that aren't nostalgia bait. I don't know, it just gets tiring to read through after a while. But to each their own, I guess.

Spider-verse would have been a better choice and yeah everyone is attacking Disney over the fan film when it was wb that did it! Lucasfilm (owned by Disney by the way) got the strike removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Spider-verse would have been a better choice and yeah everyone is attacking Disney over the fan film when it was wb that did it! Lucasfilm (owned by Disney by the way) got the strike removed.
    Animated films always have trouble escaping the 'best animated' category even when deserving, though yeah I had Spider-verse as better than Black Panther.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

BANNED

Is there a TL;DR?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The fan film if you mean the Star Wars one he wasn't sued it was a threat to take off YouTube with a strike and it wasn't even Disney it was Warner Music. The guy said Lucasfilm came in a stopped it.

Remakes, Sequel Madness, and franchises have been nuts since the 80's this isn't new just people pretending it is, is what's new.
    Sometimes your just gonna get diminishing returns.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I couldn't read through all of that, just skimmed it long enough to prove my hunch that, like almost every other post I've read from Tom Servofan, this is a complaint against sequels, remakes, and reboots and his opinion that every franchise of the 80s should be dead. Which is fine, everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if I personally disagree with it, but that it keeps coming down to this same topic, over and over and over again, and the anger that is often expressed with these sort of long diatribes, makes me question if he gains any pleasure from movies at all. There are still plenty of movies out there that don't fall in the sequel/remake/reboot category, can't he just be happy with those and let those of us who enjoy our old franchises as continuing and evolving stories just be happy we're getting this stuff? It takes nothing away from him, there are still tons of movies that aren't nostalgia bait. I don't know, it just gets tiring to read through after a while. But to each their own, I guess.
    I am a passionate actual filmlover/goer with high standards and also like a real person like me who also has a passion for movies and can see through the errors of Hollywood and is not blinded by the beauty of a movie. I just some new things like Shape of Water which i enjoyed and my fave movie of 2017 and i enjoy some continuing franchises like Mission Impossible which the last film was excellent and there was an exceptional sequel to an older film being Blade Runner 2049. I even enjoy Get Out and some other stuff, some Marvel stuff i find nice while Black Panther overrated. Him and i do support independent/international cinema outside the mainstream despite there can be some surprising mainstream films. I thought Last Jedi was a complete piece of **** and the last straw for me on Star Wars, i didn't bother to see Solo and not gonna give anymore dimes. I also support new franchises like John Wick.

It's just that Disney had enough cheese to eat off it's fat ass with these remakes and being a monopoly even with fox and i'm done with Disney unless they do something new like Zootopia to all that and ain't gonna get a dime from money, that's how i am gonna send my message. This is all an honest and heartfelt truth that hurts you know. Sometimes your just gonna get diminishing returns and when that happens enough is enough, do something new and fresh instead of leftovers from the past.
    Last edited by TomServofan; 01-24-2019 at 09:11 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

There were a boatload of banks and financial institutions that thought they were "too big to fail" back in 2008, and guess what? They did fail. Disney is not indestructible, they could face a downtown in fortunes just like everyone else, and it could make for a considerable fall. It isn't a question of IF, but WHEN.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 01-24-2019 at 08:59 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I could more or less agree with some of your stance about Disney live action remakes, but I can't agree with someone claiming stuff like "They are also lacking respect for elder cinema, and don't have the necessary knowledge of what makes a film good, great or even truly terrible. They lack appreciation for every aspect of filmmaking and don't really know what is truly good, bad or even mediocre because their standards are so low.".

People who think they know better tend to forget that art is something that should work on a visceral level. Art shouldn't be examined like a science exam, it should talk to you in a very intimate and personal level.

High standards... SMH.

Mighty Member

And there's talks of a Pirates reboot, that franchise is long dead and your gonna continue diminishing returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    I could more or less agree with some of your stance about Disney live action remakes, but I can't agree with someone claiming stuff like "They are also lacking respect for elder cinema, and don't have the necessary knowledge of what makes a film good, great or even truly terrible. They lack appreciation for every aspect of filmmaking and don't really know what is truly good, bad or even mediocre because their standards are so low.".

People who think they know better tend to forget that art is something that should work on a visceral level. Art shouldn't be examined like a science exam, it should talk to you in a very intimate and personal level.

High standards... SMH.
    Also that art can very much be a continuum. Today's art was created on yesterday's art, and so was the art before them, too. After all, today's artists had yesterday's artists as their teachers and mentors. If it talks to you in a very intimate or personal level, it could be drawing from experiences past or present, but if it does talk to you on that level, then it succeeds regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by TomServofan View Post
    I am a passionate actual filmlover/goer with high standards and also like a real person like me who also has a passion for movies and can see through the errors of Hollywood and is not blinded by the beauty of a movie.
    I do wish you wouldn't state how you have high standards, it makes it sound like you believe yourself to be better somehow than the average moviegoer and comes off as elitist.

I just some new things like Shape of Water which i enjoyed and my fave movie of 2017 and i enjoy some continuing franchises like Mission Impossible which the last film was excellent and there was an exceptional sequel to an older film being Blade Runner 2049. I even enjoy Get Out and some other stuff, some Marvel stuff i find nice while Black Panther overrated.
    Good, it just seems you focus more of your posts about the things you hate than the things you'd like. You could post more on the movies you like, and what parts of those movies you wish Hollywood would pick up on. I know you hate sequels/remakes/reboots and there are more of them than there used to be, but some of us like our nostalgia retreads, and there's no reason why there can't be room for such films alongside the new and the original.

Him and i do support independent/international cinema outside the mainstream despite there can be some surprising mainstream films. I thought Last Jedi was a complete piece of **** and the last straw for me on Star Wars, i didn't bother to see Solo and not gonna give anymore dimes. I also support new franchises like John Wick.
    I liked Solo, thought it was a heck of a lot of fun, but from what I can tell it definitely isn't a movie I think you'd have fun with, but I'm glad you like John Wick.

It's just that Disney had enough cheese to eat off it's fat ass with these remakes and being a monopoly even with fox and i'm done with Disney unless they do something new like Zootopia to all that and ain't gonna get a dime from money, that's how i am gonna send my message. This is all an honest and heartfelt truth that hurts you know. Sometimes your just gonna get diminishing returns and when that happens enough is enough, do something new and fresh instead of leftovers from the past.
    And that is certainly your right, voting with your dimes. I just think you would get more out of your time posting at this forum if you discussed more about the films you had fun with, and accepting that a lot of us like the current era of sequels and remakes.