Default How to talk to artists and complain productively

Jay Eddin posted a long twitter thread on how to talk to artists and complain productively. While we are at somewhat a remove from comics creators here nowadays (most action seems to be on twitter) it can probably still be highly applicable here.

Three takeaways, but the entire thread is good:

THIRD: Don't assign intent. This is one that drives me goddamn BATTY, because work-for-hire creators get no end of **** for decisions they had no hand in and often directly pushed back against; which, in turn, puts them in a fucking awful and impossible situation. And in the situation I described above? THEY CAN'T EXPLAIN THAT TO YOU, at least not if they want to keep their jobs. I know SO MANY WRITERS who have gotten SO MUCH ABUSE while fighting incredibly hard for the very things "fans" accuse them of abandoning.

FIFTH: Know how the sausage is made. Don't lambaste journalists for headlines. Don't abuse work-for-hire comics creators for failing to cater to your priorities (or failing to, say, make characters queer). Those respectively belong to editors and publishers.

TENTH: If you are frustrated with chronic lack of representation, -ist narratives, etc.--which is totally justified, btw--I HIGHLY encourage you to write often and vehemently to the following: Publishers, editors-in-chief, CCOs, presidents, and VPs.

Ultimate Member

I can sum it up like this for everybody-if you don't read the book LEAVE the creative team alone.

Unless you took the time to READ the book in question do not rely on hearsay of youtubers with agendas or folks looking to get creators attacked.

Too many folks have attacked creators and not read a single thing they have written.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    I can sum it up like this for everybody-if you don't read the book LEAVE the creative team alone.

Unless you took the time to READ the book in question do not rely on hearsay of youtubers with agendas or folks looking to get creators attacked.

Too many folks have attacked creators and not read a single thing they have written.
    Blasphemous, I must read something before I criticize? That is such a crazy idea.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Jay Eddin posted a long twitter thread on how to talk to artists and complain productively. While we are at somewhat a remove from comics creators here nowadays (most action seems to be on twitter) it can probably still be highly applicable here.

Three takeaways, but the entire thread is good:
    I don't even have to click the link to know I hate this and have already started a hashtag bashing whoever wrote it

Why "complain" to artists?

Believe it or not, they're (usually) people, too.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

TENTH: If you are frustrated with chronic lack of representation, -ist narratives, etc.--which is totally justified, btw--I HIGHLY encourage you to write often and vehemently to the following: Publishers, editors-in-chief, CCOs, presidents, and VPs.
    Passionately, okay, but vehemently? I'm pretty sure that's not the right way to go.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Passionately, okay, but vehemently? I'm pretty sure that's not the right way to go.
    New Oxford American Dictionary:

Vehemently: in a forceful, passionate, or intense manner; with great feeling
    Besides, it is rather tricky to get the attention of people who have weaned themselves of the ability to pay attention to others. Sadly, it's an occupational hazard for CxOs and VPs. It's walking between the Scylla of being ignored and the Charybdis of unduly bothering them, and it's they who subjectively decide on the width of siad gap. (Sadly, for the Poison Ivy fans and current-day DC, I'm afraid that gap is negative in width.)

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Vehemently: in a forceful, passionate, or intense manner; with great feeling
    When the majority of people use the word, regardless of what the dictionary says, they're talking about "in your face." Again, IMO, I don't see that as productive. I know I don't handle that type of attitude quite well, kjn.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

Quoted for truth.

I've seen some people literally say "i've not read this thing but i heard that...".

This is completely crazy. You can't be attacking something you haven't read, watched or listened to. That's flat out trolling.

Take time to experience said thing yourself and make up your own mind and give creators feedback in constructive manner. Saying "SJW Star Trek is trash" is dumb without giving concrete reason.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Quoted for truth.

I've seen some people literally say "i've not read this thing but i heard that...".

This is completely crazy. You can't be attacking something you haven't read, watched or listened to. That's flat out trolling.

Take time to experience said thing yourself and make up your own mind and give creators feedback in constructive manner. Saying "SJW Star Trek is trash" is dumb without giving concrete reason.
    I see this all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Quoted for truth.

Actually, that's not a bad way to start a discussion as long as you're asking for clarification / explanation about what the truth really is.
    But if you're attacking / complaining about something that way, and don't give a person an opening to explain if what you've heard is correct or not, that's unfair.