Jay Eddin posted a long twitter thread on how to talk to artists and complain productively. While we are at somewhat a remove from comics creators here nowadays (most action seems to be on twitter) it can probably still be highly applicable here.

Three takeaways, but the entire thread is good:

THIRD: Don't assign intent. This is one that drives me goddamn BATTY, because work-for-hire creators get no end of shit for decisions they had no hand in and often directly pushed back against; which, in turn, puts them in a fucking awful and impossible situation. And in the situation I described above? THEY CAN'T EXPLAIN THAT TO YOU, at least not if they want to keep their jobs. I know SO MANY WRITERS who have gotten SO MUCH ABUSE while fighting incredibly hard for the very things "fans" accuse them of abandoning.

FIFTH: Know how the sausage is made. Don't lambaste journalists for headlines. Don't abuse work-for-hire comics creators for failing to cater to your priorities (or failing to, say, make characters queer). Those respectively belong to editors and publishers.

TENTH: If you are frustrated with chronic lack of representation, -ist narratives, etc.--which is totally justified, btw--I HIGHLY encourage you to write often and vehemently to the following: Publishers, editors-in-chief, CCOs, presidents, and VPs.