Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Default Rowan Atkinson's Dramatic Turn

To a generation of Britcom fans, Rowan Atkinson was legendary as the hilariously bumbling Mr. Bean, and more recently in the Johnny English big screen movies that spoofed British secret agents. However, Mr. Atkinson took a dramatic turn in 2016 starring as Maigret, a chief inspector in 1955 Paris. I watched the first of four episodes (over two seasons) on Britbox last night where Maigret is tasked with finding a serial killer who's murdered four women, and it was very good, well worth watching, if you're a fan of Atkinson, murder mysteries or both.

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    To a generation of Britcom fans, Rowan Atkinson was legendary as the hilariously bumbling Mr. Bean, and more recently in the Johnny English big screen movies that spoofed British secret agents. However, Mr. Atkinson took a dramatic turn in 2016 starring as Maigret, a chief inspector in 1955 Paris. I watched the first of four episodes (over two seasons) on Britbox last night where Maigret is tasked with finding a serial killer who's murdered four women, and it was very good, well worth watching, if you're a fan of Atkinson, murder mysteries or both.

Thanks for posting I'll watch this tonight. I love Rowan Atkinson but I haven't really seen him do much I've enjoyed since Thin Blue Line. This sounds really great, I love Britbox.

Have you tried Upstart Crow yet? No Rowan, but it's Ben Elton and it feels a lot like Blackadder seasons 2-4.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Ghost View Post
    Thanks for posting I'll watch this tonight. I love Rowan Atkinson but I haven't really seen him do much I've enjoyed since Thin Blue Line. This sounds really great, I love Britbox.

Have you tried Upstart Crow yet? No Rowan, but it's Ben Elton and it feels a lot like Blackadder seasons 2-4.
    Not yet. Admittedly, I signed up for Britbox to watch Classic Doctor Who, but I'm branching out to other stuff. Case in point, I've quickly gotten hooked on Poirot which is great.

Not yet. Admittedly, I signed up for Britbox to watch Classic Doctor Who, but I'm branching out to other stuff. Case in point, I've quickly gotten hooked on Poirot which is great.
    Check out the Sherlock Holmes series starring Jeremy Brett if you get a chance they are what got me addicted to UK mystery stuff. Poirot is great too!

Quote Originally Posted by Grim Ghost View Post
    Check out the Sherlock Holmes series starring Jeremy Brett if you get a chance they are what got me addicted to UK mystery stuff. Poirot is great too!
    Way ahead of you! Been watching Brett as Holmes since the series aired on our local PBS station in the early 2000's and was floored by his stellar performance. I've said to anyone who'd listen that nobody can touch Brett, not Basil Rathbone, Not Benedict Cumberbatch, damn sure not RDJ, not anyone.

Mighty Member

Don't forget he was Zazu form Lion King

Way ahead of you! Been watching Brett as Holmes since the series aired on our local PBS station in the early 2000's and was floored by his stellar performance. I've said to anyone who'd listen that nobody can touch Brett, not Basil Rathbone, Not Benedict Cumberbatch, damn sure not RDJ, not anyone.
    Agreed 110% man! I was watching them on A&E back when they actually showed Arts and Entertainment, heh.

I wonder what my Mom will think of this. She's a fan of detective shows, plus she loved Atkinson in Blackadder and TBL. But she's a connoisseur and can be very critical of crime shows. I'm gonna ask her when I visit
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Its hard to imagine a serious Rowan Atkinson. Its like a stupid Hermione or a friendly Blast Ended Skrewt. (That was perhaps the geekiest quote i have made). I remember watching him in Four Weddings and a Funeral. Just by seeing him appear on the screen i burst into a fit of giggles.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 01-25-2019 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Its hard to imagine a serious Rowan Atkinson. Its like a stupid Hermione or a friendly Blast Ended Skrewt. (That was perhaps the geekiest quote i have made). I remember watching him in Four Weddings and a Funeral. Just by seeing him appear on the screen i burst into a fit of giggles.
    People probably said the same thing about Steve Carell after leaving The Office and he went heavy into dramatic movie roles, and he's been lauded since then. Atkinson's been damn good in Maigret.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 01-25-2019 at 08:56 AM.

People probably said the same thing about Steve Carell after leaving The Office and he went heavy into dramatic movie roles, and he's been lauded since then. Atkinson's been damn good in Maigret.
    I agree. I am often surprised by comedians. They often make great actors. Making someone laugh is a very difficult task. Till this day my mind is blown by Robin Williams. Two powerful performances in Good Will Hunting and Insomnia. Jim Carrey was out of character in Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind. Lol.

Btw what is Britbox? If its available i may check it out. 'May' because i am not so much into TV right now. But earlier i would watch it in a heartbeat. I really loved Mr. Bean.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I agree. I am often surprised by comedians. They often make great actors. Making someone laugh is a very difficult task. Till this day my mind is blown by Robin Williams. Two powerful performances in Good Will Hunting and Insomnia. Jim Carrey was out of character in Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind. Lol.

Btw what is Britbox? If its available i may check it out. 'May' because i am not so much into TV right now. But earlier i would watch it in a heartbeat. I really loved Mr. Bean.
    Britbox is a streaming service that specializes in shows from the BBC and ITV. Comedies, dramas, mysteries, documentaries and, for me, it's biggest draw, classic Doctor Who.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Moreover, for years and years, nobody thought Tom Hanks could work outside of comedy.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014