View Poll Results: Which previously dead X-Men got the best return story?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jean: Phoenix Resurrection

23 36.51%
  • Xavier: Astonishing X-Men

3 4.76%
  • Logan: Countless Return of Wolverine minis

0 0%
  • Cyclops: Uncanny X-Men Annual

37 58.73%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Which previously dead X-Men got the best return story?

So, after the beginning/middle of this decade started with a lot of main X-Men getting killed(Xavier, then Logan, then Scott), and Jean was already gone ages before, now we finally have all of them back. With Scott's return on the Uncanny Annual being the last one, which of them do you think got the best return?
    Last edited by Wiccan; 01-24-2019 at 07:23 AM.

BANNED

None of them.

Most of the Xmen don't know Xavier is alive. Wolverine is nowhere to be seen. Scott is hidden away. Jean probably had the best one so far.

It all just feels so off. They've all come back before and folded back into the Xmen, but this era is just dumb. Fans know they come back from the dead we dont need a long drawn out explanation or event....just put the damn team back together lol.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Cyclops
    Jean's return was way more significant but it had so much filler, only the last issue really mattered. It could have been done in one or two issues. Cyclops return was straight to the point, less emotional and epic but faster and entertaining per page.
    Last edited by phoenixzero23; 01-24-2019 at 07:45 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Magik and Colossus

Hell can't hold the Russians.
    "Cable was right!"

if a death or resurrection shouldn't have happened, you're disqualified

xavier mindworm schemes >>> hot claws

wolverphoenix > hot claws
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I'd say Quest for Magik, but it was more a great New X-Men story than a great Magik story.

Cyclops wins by default since his return wasn't dragged out

Something I feel like all those returns have been lacking is... Impact.

Jean: The story ends as soon as she gets back. Then we move to X-Men Red, which is a self-contained book that starts some time after she's already been back. We had the annual, but, idk. They just all hugged her and were happy and that was it, and people with major relationships with her(the other 3 on the poll) weren't present too, which didn't help.

Xavier: At first it didn't evem seemed like he was really coming back. It was kind of a slow realization. So it wasn't a boom to the franchise. Also a self-contained book. And I don't feel like the reactions of everyone on that book were emotional enough considering who he is. Besides that, they all forgot he came back at the end. So when he finally shows up and reveals himself to everyone, it's gonna be a "Oh!" moment to them, but more of a "Oh, finally..." for us, and imo the audience relating to the characters when it comes to stuff like that it's a major point for returns to feel impactful. Also a chance that they're not even gonna be shaken enough, or will just be "Oh, wait, we knew this already but you made us forget..."

Logan: Lmao. So dragged out. At this point the X-Men all know already that he's back and have seen him and it was super meh. Now they're all gone and he's returning, and when they see him again it's gonna be just "Oh, right, there's that, Logan is back".

Cyclops: I think that him coming back on just an annual feels kinda underwhelming. There was barely any hype and promotion to his return by Marvel. Probably gonna be the most impactful to the characters though.

Quote Originally Posted by thechronic92 View Post
    This. If Cosmic Logan from Infinity Watch was the real Logan and that was his return, I'd pick him but as it stands, the current set of minis are just meh

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Magik and Colossus

Hell can't hold the Russians.
    Agreed. Colossus reveal was genuinely jaw dropping and a beautiful panel. Magik's story was a trip as well since it wasn't one of those "THEY ARE DEAD *until next year*" type of things. She was long gone for YEARS and it was quite dramatic how they brought her back in a "is she or isn't she actually her" type of way and even in the background her return helped move developing storylines.

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

Magik. Like the above poster said, while it was mostly a New X-Men story, having her come back over in that story, and then followed up by her true return later, felt more compelling than any of the others. If I had to choose between your options I'd go with Cyclops as it was compact and digestible. I don't think Wolverine needed to return, no one knows Xavier is "alive", and Jean's was a drawn out mess with the least compelling characters assuming important roles in her return.

Quote Originally Posted by thechronic92 View Post
    that is the good part...

But I voted on Jean, Ilked the horror story vibe.

X-emn ressurrections have been pretty mediocres

Jamie Maddox or anyone else. They've all been terrible.

Magik hands down. A long process until she was fully resurrected, including the New Mutants volume written by Zeb Wells.

I'm talking about the recent returns, y'all lol.