View Poll Results: Which previously dead X-Men got the best return story?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jean: Phoenix Resurrection

23 36.51%
  • Xavier: Astonishing X-Men

3 4.76%
  • Logan: Countless Return of Wolverine minis

0 0%
  • Cyclops: Uncanny X-Men Annual

37 58.73%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I actually liked Phoenix Resurrection for the most part but I also love slow-burning horror comics.

Kwannon’s one page return >>>>>> the rest though.

That’s not even about character preference. Not too keen on the delivery of the other three.

Magik.. the come backs of Jean, Xavier, Logan were not very exciting or well writen. Cyclops was pathetic.. the PF? again? really?
    Primum vivere deindre philosophare

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I'm talking about the recent returns, y'all lol.
    Ah but it feels like yesterday that us Magik fanboys were crying over her not being in X-Books and then having that run in Exiles rub it in our faces.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Cyclops. Phoenix Resurrection was trash and didn't have any impact like some pointed out and it felt so fillerish. Didn't feel epic at all. Cyclops felt small but only because all the X-men are off world so the impact isn't going to be till later. Nightcrawler isn't here but he also gets a vote for best return.

Ghost Jean <3 easily puts her above all the other

Cyclops had the best return IMO. I think Jean's return had the potential and the hype was definitely there to make it the best. The first couple of issues of Resurrection were REALLY strong and had a very good creepy mysterious vibe going on. And the last issue was good as well, but there was just so much left unexplained or "Phoenixed away" as an explanation. Cyclop's return had the most logical explanation for return and to me that counts a lot.

Wolverine's return was much hyped and the story still isn't quite over yet, but between the seemingly endless mini series during the "hunt for" phase, and now the current mini series, it's become obvious that it's just a giant cash grab. I mean, I guess all of these events are in a way, but the storyline of Wolverine's return is overkill on it.

Of the four mentioned? Jean easily. It only had four or five "that's not right, wtf?" moments, compared to around 14 for Scott's.

Xavier's was a compromise that everyone hated. It validated the people who hate Xavier but brought him back, and it pissed off the people who like Xavier with how much of a dickhead he was being.

Wolverine's was a marketing gimmick gone wrong.

BANNED

With total partiality:

... so probably not the best judge.

It still baffles me that the X-Office thought it would be okay to have 4 out of 5 of their most well-known X-Men (the other one being Storm) all dead at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    It still baffles me that the X-Office thought it would be okay to have 4 out of 5 of their most well-known X-Men (the other one being Storm) all dead at the same time.
    To be fair, other than Xavier who's time could have conceivably come to pass, no one really thought any of these were going to be dead forever. Although many were wondering if Jean might be. But I get what you're saying. If they had killed Storm off that would have left none of the most prominent X-Men alive. As great as Nightcrawler, Rogue, and Kitty Pryde and Beast are - well at least Nightcrawler, Rogue and Kitty Pryde - they can't be the headliners in the franchise and keep it afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkMagnus View Post
    Rogue.

she killed her almost stepdaugther.
    Since it seems alright to mention characters that aren't in the poll, I'll say Rogue from Uncanny X-Men #269.

BANNED

Cyclops. It was a self contained story that made good use of established continuity and was respectful enough to who the character is and what he represents. I already got over the "Cyclops was a monster" and decided to give Brevoort and White the victory they wanted so much since AvX. All in all It's the only one of the four I can't actually complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Ghost Jean <3 easily puts her above all the other
    Ghost Jean in the Jean Grey solo was so good and the Jean we deserved. She had personality, wasn't perfect, and still had some fire to her. I wish Hopeless had the PR mini. I think he understood Jean and the connection to the Phoenix. He had Jean say it is both good and bad, but Rosenberg seems to just see the Phoenix as bad.

I really loved Phoenix Resurrection. I thought it was mysterious, beautiful, and tragic. I actually like the slow burn. Combine PR with the Red Annual and Jean got a really respectful return.

Cyclops' return was cold, calculating, and intricate which is good for the character, but I hated how normative his new worldview is.

Xavier should have stayed in the Astral Plane. Locked in a never ending battle with the Shadow King is a good status quo for him. He never should have returned.

I didn't read Wolverine's return and will put off reading a comic with Logan for as long as I can.

tbh the best recent resurrection is wolverine in ultimate alliance 3, no goddamn doubt

steven blum the realest one there is
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate