View Poll Results: Are you happy with She-Hulk's current state?

Voters
218. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think it's a great character evolution.

21 9.63%
  • No, I want fun, classic She-Hulk back.

175 80.28%
  • I don't care about She-Hulk.

22 10.09%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    oh okay. Things just seemed liek they were clicking in the first arc. Then they had a bad date. Then Jen is telling Thor's mom they are dating.

Then they are all skinny dipping and she's glancing at Blade for a second so I wasn't sure where everythign stood.

wait.....what comic was this?
    She hulk V2 12

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    As we discussed in the Marvel's flagship female thread, She-Hulk has the most solo comic issues out of any other female Marvel heroine.
    Spider-Girl lasted for 100 issues (1998-2006), but yeah, not many Marvel superheroine ongoing series lasted as long as The Sensational She-Hulk, which ran for 60 issues from 1989-1994. Not even superheroines such as Storm, Scarlet Witch, and Black Widow went on to stack up volumes that big.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 08-01-2019 at 03:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    She hulk V2 12

0_0 ...................... well
    The J-man

Not sure how many here are enthusiasts of video essays, but I thought this one really analyzed She-Hulk's current situation very well:

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SuperiorIronman View Post
    Characters are unfortunately changed to fit stories as opposed to stories being made to suit characters.
    Right on the money!

Not sure if I've brought this up before but Ewing had an interesting explanation of She-Hulk's current state in a recent issue of IH.

Basically, Doc Samson notes that almost every Hulk that gets his gamma FROM Bruce seems to develop something similar to his Savage persona. It not only carried the green and muscly factors but a little bit of his most famous incarnation as well.

https://www.cbr.com/hulk-syndrome-ga...er-contagious/
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Not sure if I've brought this up before but Ewing had an interesting explanation of She-Hulk's current state in a recent issue of IH.

Basically, Doc Samson notes that almost every Hulk that gets his gamma FROM Bruce seems to develop something similar to his Savage persona. It not only carried the green and muscly factors but a little bit of his most famous incarnation as well.

https://www.cbr.com/hulk-syndrome-ga...er-contagious/
    Well if that’s the rationale in giving She-Hulk a “big-muscled caveman brute” persona like how Bruce was in his earliest days, then I suppose that explains it, but I don’t think it justifies pushing away the more free-spirited Jennifer who loved being herself. Even Peter David moved away from the caveman persona and wrote a personality that I think had stronger legs to stand on.

I have no problems with the current She-Hulk. Well I guess my only problem is that she doesn’t have a solo book anymore.

I loved all of her solo books throughout the 2020s and I like the way the character has been dealt with in dealing with Bruce’s passing and the effect that had on her up to her more current stories in Avengers.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    She-Hulk hasn't really been in a good place since Civil War II.

I could understand the value of the Tamaki stuff since she was trying to do something interesting with it by examining trauma and the effect on that with a strong and fun heroine, even if the execution wasn't always on-point.

But now she's basically just being written and handled like a female Savage Hulk and I feel like that really devalues the kind of character She-Hulk is and her uniqueness when she's depicted in Avengers or in guest spots as an overly roided-out lady who can only talk in Hulk Speak. That's not really She-Hulk.
    Neither is the misandrist sociopath she became recently.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Not sure how many here are enthusiasts of video essays, but I thought this one really analyzed She-Hulk's current situation very well:

Yep, hits that nail right on the head.

BANNED

Possible the Savage She-Hulk character an inspiration of how a woman will look like when wielding Mjölnir in Thor Love and Thunder?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    I genuinely have no idea what marvel are trying to do with her

She's completely alien to her core character persona for me

Development is fine, alienation isn't imo

She's lost all her fun and I find her a dour and uninteresting character in recent years
    To me, marvel comics is to bring out the character's fun side with supervillains

and superheroes from past galore.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    It's also basically handwaved when Jen actually expresses her opinion on her new powers.
    Ladies and Gentlemen....I give you Jason Aaron's Thor! Sigh.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Hmm, I don't really care what she looks like. I always thought she should be more muscular, but my favorite look for the character is still her original which had her pretty slim and with a strong Wild Women of Wongo vibe...

I'm probably a minority who actually enjoyed her first series as much as anything that came after, despite it being intensely moody, dramatic and heavy on the, "can't...turn...into...She-Hulk...no-matter-what" *proceeds to turns into She-Hulk* plot narrative.

That being said, what she is now is just boring to me. Doesn't help I was never a fan of Hulk when it was just Savage Hulk, and turning Jen into, hmmm, for lack of a better term, "Savage-Hulk-lite" feels like an unoriginal regression of the character.

With characters that have been around this long, when it comes time to evolve them you should look to the past for inspiration and branch out from there. If they wanted to make Jen a "Savage Hulk", they should have build on the old-school Savage She-Hulk and not copy/paste the already over-played Savage Hulk... Wasted potential to bring back a character I liked.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 08-23-2021 at 06:11 PM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Hmm, I don't really care what she looks like. I always thought she should be more muscular, but my favorite look for the character is still her original which had her pretty slim and with a strong Wild Women of Wongo vibe...

I'm probably a minority who actually enjoyed her first series as much as anything that came after, despite it being intensely moody, dramatic and heavy on the, "can't...turn...into...She-Hulk...no-matter-what" *proceeds to turns into She-Hulk* plot narrative.

That being said, what she is now is just boring to me. Doesn't help I was never a fan of Hulk when it was just Savage Hulk, and turning Jen into, hmmm, for lack of a better term, "Savage-Hulk-lite" feels like an unoriginal regression of the character.

With characters that have been around this long, when it comes time to evolve them you should look to the past for inspiration and branch out from there. If they wanted to make Jen a "Savage Hulk", they should have build on the old-school Savage She-Hulk and not copy/paste the already over-played Savage Hulk... Wasted potential to bring back a character I liked.
    Isn't Savage She-Hulk just the same as Savage Hulk? That's why Jen underwent a massive change in the first place to make her more distinct from her cousin.