View Poll Results: Are you happy with She-Hulk's current state?

Voters
218. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I think it's a great character evolution.

21 9.63%
  • No, I want fun, classic She-Hulk back.

175 80.28%
  • I don't care about She-Hulk.

22 10.09%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    I would distinguish between the Tamaki run and Aaron's. Tamaki was trying to do something new with the character; whether it's bad or good, there's always room for a new approach. Aaron is quite obviously just using her because he doesn't have the actual Hulk available to him.
    Yeah, I didn't like her solo book, but it had reasons to be like that after cw2 and it at least moved on somewhat

Aaron is imo doing exactly what you say

He said he's distinguishing her from the Hulk iirc, but she's more like him than ever

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I thought they took away all the things that made her different from Bruce and now just dumbed her down. Not interested at all in her current state.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 01-30-2019 at 12:41 AM.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

My thoughts on Tamaki's run, for it's good and ALL of it's bad, the comic was trying to tell a mature and complicated story. It didn't work outside of the first arc due to crap pacing and editorial interference, but it tried sort of.

This current version of She-Hulk is just a Hulk, there's no getting around it. She's not written like Jen, lacking her smarts or wit or legal expertise, and she's mostly just there to be Thor's latest girlfriend. People say she got over her problems but has these new ones due to the celestials but it reads more like laziness. Aaron can't use Hulk and he sure doesn't want She-Hulk for She-Hulk. However, he also doesn't want to write about a woman overcoming her own mental blocks or trauma, so he just makes Jen the way she was all over again minus the hard stuff.

So, I'm not a fan of the current She-Hulk. She's just a stand-in for Hulk but female so she can be Thor's girl. There's nothing else to her here and it has this weird coating of sexism over it that makes it uncomfortable at this point. Could change of course, but the current state of affairs is not promising.

Could've used Red She-Hulk. Not like it would be a stretch to bring her back and she fits the mold Aaron wants more.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    My thoughts on Tamaki's run, for it's good and ALL of it's bad, the comic was trying to tell a mature and complicated story. It didn't work outside of the first arc due to crap pacing and editorial interference, but it tried sort of.

This current version of She-Hulk is just a Hulk, there's no getting around it. She's not written like Jen, lacking her smarts or wit or legal expertise, and she's mostly just there to be Thor's latest girlfriend. People say she got over her problems but has these new ones due to the celestials but it reads more like laziness. Aaron can't use Hulk and he sure doesn't want She-Hulk for She-Hulk. However, he also doesn't want to write about a woman overcoming her own mental blocks or trauma, so he just makes Jen the way she was all over again minus the hard stuff.

So, I'm not a fan of the current She-Hulk. She's just a stand-in for Hulk but female so she can be Thor's girl. There's nothing else to her here and it has this weird coating of sexism over it that makes it uncomfortable at this point. Could change of course, but the current state of affairs is not promising.

Could've used Red She-Hulk. Not like it would be a stretch to bring her back and she fits the mold Aaron wants more.
    And isn't she having people just call her "Hulk" now? Which doesn't really make sense because she, y'know, actually likes being called She-Hulk (even if Aaron doesn't seem to like the name).

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And isn't she having people just call her "Hulk" now? Which doesn't really make sense because she, y'know, actually likes being called She-Hulk (even if Aaron doesn't seem to like the name).
    Aaron so does not like that name. 'member Thor #700 where Lady Thor was fighting raged roided She -Hulk (just cause) and she actually insulted her directly to her face about her name. Smoooooooth hero work there.

But yeah, Aaron only seems to view She-Hulk as exactly the same as regular Hulk.

I expect a She-Hulk MCU movie.

The CGI work to make Thanos leading man material was merely preamble to making a Shulkie romantic comedy.

Astonishing Member Ken Ashcroft's Avatar

Not really that surprising when Aaron made Thor give up his own name so that Jane Foster could use it and call herself Thor even though it’s a male’s name and Thor real birth name and not a title, code name or alias. So Aaron must think that the same principles should apply to the Hulks name especially since it doesn’t necessarily have to a male name even though we have always associated it with a male character.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I'm making a wild guess that Aaron is taking Jen for a longer-than-expected change in her personality and powers, which will turn off many readers, but that at the end of which she will revert mostly to who she was pre-Civil War II. Mostly. For readers who are willing to wait like me, I'm hanging on, but it's understandable if others think otherwise.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    I was under the impression that Aaron's characterization of her was brought on by what happened with the Celestials and the contact with those bug things. There is more to the story that hasn't been told to explain why she is the way she is. Or did I make that up?
    That's what we're told. Except for the fact that we see her like this before the Celestials showed up.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    That's what we're told. Except for the fact that we see her like this before the Celestials showed up.
    Yeah, this isn't like Bruce Banner at all. Well, aside from the hitting on thing, but that would actually be kind of more amusing if it was Bruce .

Yeah, this isn't like Bruce Banner at all. Well, aside from the hitting on thing, but that would actually be kind of more amusing if it was Bruce .
    It's also basically handwaved when Jen actually expresses her opinion on her new powers.

Astonishing Member

I like that She-Hulk is in the Avengers stories.
    Sure her curent Savage phase is not as interesting as how she apeared in other comic books,but if there is a character that can be writen as a over the top strong member of a team of super heroes is her.(And her cousin)

Marvel has destroyed everything that made Jen a fun and unique character and instead they turned her into a clone of Bruce.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Funny thing is, they kind of went this route with Betty as well, toward the end of the Red Hulk title when she was the star-she actually had a second form that was basically a savage Hulk.

However, the Doc Green arc (Which pretty much eliminated the whole "Hulk family" dynamic) left her without her powers....but the whole emotional trauma angle definetly fits her much better IMO given her history.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    Marvel has destroyed everything that made Jen a fun and unique character and instead they turned her into a clone of Bruce.
    While currently Hulk is more intelligent than Bruce himself!