Page 84 of 105 FirstFirst ... 347480818283848586878894 ... LastLast
Results 1,246 to 1,260 of 1573

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Sue's force fields can be picked apart easily using basic questions. Obviously light can pass through them. So can sound. With her field on, could she be noticed with infra-red? It's a puzzle how she'd manage to stop light or sonic attacks using her fields. The fields are air-tight and water-tight as well. But thinking about how they work and what they stop and don't stop can be a mess. I'm inclined to go at these fields with a huge suspension of disbelief. Maybe just saying "it's only a comic book" is the best option for Sue's powers.
    I can deal with the "it's comics, roll with it" thing.

But I believe that they should definitely at least have a clear list of things she can and can't do with her powers to prevent contradictions happening often.

Like her invisibility and if she can be seen via infra red and whether she can see things on the invisible spectrum, things like that should be made clear. Her force-fields seem to be the power most subject to change depending on the writer. To try and explain this I'd say because they are based on her imagination she can change their properties which could allow her to block certain things. Here is how I think it should be done:

Sound - He force-fields usually let sound and sound based attacks through, but if she makes them thick enough they become soundproof

Air/water - They are usually porous to let air through so she can breathe but she can make they airtight if needed

Light - They are completely invisible so light gets through, but that's where her other power of invisibility comes in handy. She applies the bending light properties of her invisibility to her force-fields to deflect light based attacks. Like what she did in Marvel Knights to trap light in her force-fields.

Teleportation/Phasing/telepathy- this is all based on frequency, she changes the frequency/vibrations of her force-fields to disrupt a would-be teleporter/phaser. This would be the most difficult thing to pull off as the wrong frequency/vibration would have no effect.

These can explain why at one moment she can block these things and the next she can't. If she doesn't know the enemy's powers then she can't prepare her force-field for them and they can bypass her normal force-field. It gives her the ability to block these things without making her OP as she can still be susceptible to them unprepared (or if attacked by loads of different powers at once) and all of the powers I chose are ones she has blocked and been hit by before.

There are lots more powers that she might have to change the properties of her force-field for or cant block (like gravity which she seem completely susceptible to except the occasions she floats inside her force-field), but the listed are the main ones I believe.
    Last edited by Crimz; 06-18-2018 at 02:10 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Sue's force fields can be picked apart easily using basic questions. Obviously light can pass through them. So can sound. With her field on, could she be noticed with infra-red? It's a puzzle how she'd manage to stop light or sonic attacks using her fields. The fields are air-tight and water-tight as well. But thinking about how they work and what they stop and don't stop can be a mess. I'm inclined to go at these fields with a huge suspension of disbelief. Maybe just saying "it's only a comic book" is the best option for Sue's powers.
    I didn't ask the questions, I am just trying to be helpful and answer for the poster.

I don't like the "it's a comic" because we could use that excuse for everything, and then every thread in CBR is moot.

I was saying that in the past, others have seen Sue when she was invisible with infrared equipment and those with hyper-senses also have seen Sue. And that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I didn't ask the questions, I am just trying to be helpful and answer for the poster.

I don't like the "it's a comic" because we could use that excuse for everything, and then every thread in CBR is moot.

I was saying that in the past, others have seen Sue when she was invisible with infrared equipment and those with hyper-senses also have seen Sue. And that makes sense.
    And your observations are correct. She has heat, a scent, and makes noise through breathing or a heartbeat. Where the "only comics" excuse is necessary is the lack of real physics detail on invisibility and force fields.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

I read somewhere that Sue's force fields allow only light and sound to pass through that is below a certain threshold, at which point they get blocked. So lasers and sonic attack get blocked.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    I read somewhere that Sue's force fields allow only light and sound to pass through that is below a certain threshold, at which point they get blocked. So lasers and sonic attack get blocked.
    Something like this would explain a lot. If the field is more like a filter which keeps out larger and more powerful amounts, then many of the basic questions get answered. There was a letter to the FF book suggesting Sue's fields being at something like 9.9 and letting light in but if she went to 10, they would become opaque and not let light in (or out). This is something I can live with. How's everyone else's opinions on this suggestion?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ravin' Ray View Post
    Oh, yeah....I remember a moment during SECRET WARS where the Molecule Man inadvertly 'replecated' an invisible shield{for himself & Volcana}; but didn't realized until later that the shield was transparent in which Monica Rambeau was able to get though using her light form.....!!!

Many years ago, somewhere around the late # 190s or so, in the run up to Dr. Doom in # 200, Reed was possessed by the Molecule Man and fought the four, including Sue. He tried to pierce or otherwise damage her shield but could not, and mused

that it had no actual molecular properties. I've always seen this as the catch-all to describe the possible contradictions. So light, air, sound, some other things, perhaps gets through because in Sue's subconscious, she knows she needs the field to keep those things.

But other things, rays, bombs, etc, are truly shielded.

The force-fields being made of Hyperspace can be turned into a comicbook science reason for why they block the things they do.
    The hyperspace thing has not been explored so there is a lot for a writer to play with.

I almost mentioned the hyperspace connection myself, as it is also a contradiction somewhat. Her field is so powerful that it has saved people (them/others) from nuclear blasts, the vacuum of space, even while unconscious (the nuke blast somewhere around # 40 back in the '60s, and Orphan Maker's attack while she slept in Avengers around # 300). And of course it pierced a Celestials' armor/body. Her field can impede, if only for a while, Thor's hammer, or direct hits from the Hulk, the Thing - or both!

So the idea that some of this works un/sub consciously is "comic-book" logic. She somehow allows herself to see while invisible, have light, air, sound travel unimpeded into her field - unless she wants to shield from them, light or other amplified energy sources. And so on.

I've also given thought to the times Sue was detected by infra red glasses or the like, and again there may be a contradiction. We mostly agree that when invisible or making other things invisible Sue is actually bending light around the intended object. So wouldn't that "look" like her figure as opaque or white silhouette to the infra red viewer? Maybe...

Perhaps Sue could/should also bend the light around people's eyes or special glasses instead, or along with going invisible. Sue can project minute force fields inside living bodies, so somehow bending the light around irises or special glasses shouldn't really be much harder.

Because most of Sue's 'effects' are determined by her imagination (which should be... ummm, Fantastic) and her will, and her ability to focus on more than 1 or 2 things when using her abilities and powers. The rest is all gravy. Her skills with hand-to-hand and martial arts. Her own somewhat scientific nature (for why else would Reed have been attracted to the younger Sue? Maybe Valeria's incredible mental capacity also has to do with the smarts she inherited from Sue?).

And her intuitive nature that is often triggered by her deep compassion for all Life. Its why Sue is often the intermediary between humans (the Four, super folks in general) and the unknown, Namor, Atlanteans new or Ancient, many extra-terrestrial life forms, etc. etc.

I love these "scientific" power discussions. We can all express different opinions, feeling, and observations about something that, to date, doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    That western heroes thing reminds me of this from the start of Hickman's run, it was pretty cool

I also like the Captain Britain idea. He is hero that hasn't been used very often in ages and it could be interesting.
    This was awesome!!!

Regarding Susan, anyone have any trade recommendations for best stories about her or revolve around her?

Quote Originally Posted by devil leonx View Post
    Regarding Susan, anyone have any trade recommendations for best stories about her or revolve around her?

Sue tends to have great moments and one issue stories rather than entire arcs dedicated to her.

Byrne's run developed her the most and it's a great run, but the omnibus is lengthy and costly as he was on the book for years.

I highly recommend Marvel Knights 4 by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa. It's a great series that you don't need to know the ins and outs of the FF to enjoy and you can tell he really loves Sue. She has really awesome moments and characterization in it, the only downside is that it loses steam during the last volume.
    Last edited by Crimz; 06-21-2018 at 04:45 AM.

Default Who should Sue team-up with?

Last page there was a little talk on who Sue could potentially team-up with or guest appear without the other members of the FF. I want to see what ideas others had, so:

What books do you think could make for cool guest appearances and team-ups with Sue?

I think it would be cool to have her appear in the upcoming X-23 book. They had nice interactions in Marjorie Liu's X-23 run when the Future Foundation guest appeared. It would also be cool to see how she is with Gabby.

I'd also have her appear in the Avengers as they are currently facing Celestials and Sue's powers are perfect for that.
    Last edited by Crimz; 06-23-2018 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Sue tends to have great moments and one issue stories rather than entire arcs dedicated to her.

Byrne's run developed her the most and it's a great run, but the omnibus is lengthy and costly as he was on the book for years.

I highly recommend Marvel Knights 4 by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa. It's a great series that you don't need to know the ins and outs of the FF to enjoy and you can tell he really loves Sue. She has really awesome moments and characterization in it, the only downside is that it loses steam during the last volume.
    So Marvel Knights Fantastic Four, Vol. 4: Impossible Things Happen Every Day (v. 4) and Fantastic Four by John Byrne Omnibus Vol. 1 which is good for the F4 in general, well I have a place to start at least .