Page 99 of 105 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 1573

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post

Here is the FF working with Susan, making her stronger!
    I remember "seeing" Sue's new power and how strong it was right from the beginning!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    I remember "seeing" Sue's new power and how strong it was right from the beginning!
    One thing about a forum such as this is that you can waste a lot of time arguing over something of little import and end up passing by much of what is truly educational and interesting.

Krazy Kat is far more interesting and nuanced of a comic than arguing about Sue supposedly being a lost character who was disreprected. Susan Richards has been studied in detail on a scholastic basic and analyised. Anyone interested in her role as a role model for women in america can wander down to google scholar and read about it in depth and bredth, and they can pick up the original material at libraries for the cheap.

as usual, nothing is solved on the internet, and I am a little tired of having people stick their finger in my eye over this issue. There is no evidence that Susan Richards has been mishandled or treated as an inferior character in the FF.. Not by Kirby and not by anyone of any import after Kirby. Her status has grown over the years and she is the most developed character in Marvel. These things are facts based on the publication history, not theories. Sue is my second favorite character because she is a facinating and powerful women who is the emotional center of the FF. She shouldn't be thrown to the wolves and burned on a pyre of political struggle because a segment of comic readers demand it. She should continue as she is, an excellent character, mother, wife, friend, sister, and adventuer.
    Last edited by mrbrklyn; 09-27-2018 at 07:05 PM.

BANNED

Last edited by mrbrklyn; 09-27-2018 at 07:29 PM.

BANNED

http://enterthestory.com/comics/Susan_Storm2.html

A whole rundown of the history of Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    Just going to leave this here:

It's from the 70s and explains a lot.

People like to act as if the difference in treatment between Sue and the other members was made up or exaggerated when it's not.
    Huh... the 70's? I wonder who they considered Ghost Rider (old) and Ghost Rider (new).. were they counting the cowboy one?

Quote Originally Posted by mrbrklyn View Post
    http://enterthestory.com/comics/Susan_Storm2.html

A whole rundown of the history of Susan
    I enjoyed the read.

And it did make me think about quick exchange of views we had before, when I said part of me wished that Fantastic Four story had continued in "real time" (that we had seen the four take different roles as they "aged" and the family's kids became adults and led the super hero "day job"), and you suggested one option was setting the team in a Vertigo style set-op of its own.

I can't imagine Marvel making that Vertigo-like world the only vehicle for the Four. But in many ways I'm surprised DC or Marvel haven't had a real crack at a variant of that idea more often...let's put particular heroes in a story telling world crafted specially for them alone, and dedicate a long run to telling a full story.

Take All Star Superman by Grant Morrison...it was (substantially) a success...idea of telling a super heroes story from beginning to end in a stand alone extended setting worked well.

Imagine something like that with Fantastic Four...give a creative team you have a high degree of trust in, gave them a long run (say 60 issues?), and just two "rules" you have to start with these characters...and along with the beginning, and middle..we have to see them come to a satisfying ending. Not necessarily death...maybe something like Reed retiring to research or teaching, Ben and Alicia running an art business...whatever. But readers left with belief they have seen full circle of life.

Of course, they would be risks. It would be a big resource commitment, but there's surely a reasonable chance it would work. And if Ultimate line showed nothing else...it should convince there is some market for stories using Marvel characters in long runs set in alternate story telling worlds. (The Ultimate Spider-man run came very close to this sort of approach..only flawed really by giving a completely pointless resurrection for Peter towards end of run.)
    Last edited by JackDaw; 09-28-2018 at 02:16 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I enjoyed the read.

And it did make me think about quick exchange of views we had before, when I said part of me wished that Fantastic Four story had continued in "real time" (that we had seen the four take different roles as they "aged" and the family's kids became adults and led the super hero "day job"), and you suggested one option was setting the team in a Vertigo style set-op of its own.

I can't imagine Marvel making that Vertigo-like world the only vehicle for the Four. But in many ways I'm surprised DC or Marvel haven't had a real crack at a variant of that idea more often...let's put particular heroes in a story telling world crafted specially for them alone, and dedicate a long run to telling a full story.

Take All Star Superman by Grant Morrison...it was (substantially) a success...idea of telling a super heroes story from beginning to end in a stand alone extended setting worked well.

Imagine something like that with Fantastic Four...give a creative team you have a high degree of trust in, gave them a long run (say 60 issues?), and just two "rules" you have to start with these characters...and along with the beginning, and middle..we have to see them come to a satisfying ending. Not necessarily death...maybe something like Reed retiring to research or teaching, Ben and Alicia running an art business...whatever. But readers left with belief they have seen full circle of life.

Of course, they would be risks. It would be a big resource commitment, but there's surely a reasonable chance it would work. And if Ultimate line showed nothing else...it should convince there is some market for stories using Marvel characters in long runs set in alternate story telling worlds. (The Ultimate Spider-man run came very close to this sort of approach..only flawed really by giving a completely pointless resurrection for Peter towards end of run.)
    The FF has been blessed with some of the greatest creative teams in comics history and they have had long runs. They were, in the early days, the nexus for the creative output for much of what is now known as the Marvel Universe. To a degree, they drove Marvels entiire line of comics, and conversely, they also functioned in their own creative space. They found their own universes and dimesnsions and villians, and support characters which other writers would adopt if they wanted them. Later in the years, much of that creative energy ended up moving to the X-men.

I think the FF really needs to function in its own space in its own continuity. I don't think that you have to remove the ongoing awe and fantasy from the title just because Sue and Richard are aging. It can continue as Sue and Reed move into the roles of matriarchic and patriarch of a large family, spanning multiple generations. It is the proper and next step, IMO, and would be interesting.

They have done everything else there is to do in comics at this point

Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Nice. Has that "Old School" feel to Sue being invisible.

By Jen Bartel

I love her art, especially her cover art. I wonder what it's for.

One of the great things about the team finally being back is that more art is coming too. It's like a drought that is finally over.

NowI need Marvel to hire Jenny Frison to do a Sue cover.
    Last edited by Crimz; 09-30-2018 at 07:38 PM.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

By Jen Bartel

One of the great things about the team finally being back is that more art is coming too. It's like a drought that is finally over.

WOW! This is extremely gorgeous.

By Jen Bartel

Wow that’s awesome!

I wish we could see a slightly older looking Susan though

For some reason this reminds me of a story (part of a story) that was in the Marvel Fanfare series so mid to late '70s? Fanfare was a more glossy than previous and semi out-of-canon, before it was known as such that featured various characters in a more brilliant format. I think the first issue, classic, was Spider Man in the Savage Land, or possibly The X-Men in the Savage Land.

Anyway, my memory says it is a story that primarily focuses on Reed and Sue and I just remember a panel or two where they, especially Sue think back "on the years" and it was a first time perhaps that it was acknowledged that 'real time' was passing, and with a sense of bittersweetness - that's the word I was looking for.

Anyone remember seeing this story?

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Huh... the 70's? I wonder who they considered Ghost Rider (old) and Ghost Rider (new).. were they counting the cowboy one?
    Must've been, yeah. Note that Ringo Kid is included.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

By kamionero on DeviantArt:

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES