Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AzraelOnline View Post
    I never made friends with the ending. That last issue seemed rushed. The ten leading up to it felt that way. SPOILER He re-donned the bat suit (which was modeled after an action figure by the way), went against some rogues, beat the whole batfamily, almost killed Bruce in hand to hand combat (which was super cool by the way), became a kind of celebrated hero only to find that his health was giving way and came full circle by getting shot dead in a similar way as his father. It always bugged me until a few years ago when I read an interview with Denny where he said how that story and character was kind of his last and referred to it as 'art imitating life' as he was having health issues himself at the time. That being why he did what he did.
    That just seems...really down.

Is there an earlier point where you can stop and feel like Jean-Paul had a good ending?
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Spectacular Member AzraelOnline's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    That just seems...really down.

Is there an earlier point where you can stop and feel like Jean-Paul had a good ending?
    Maybe issue 79 because Bruce finally gives him some recognition. His approval is basically what he's been after the entire series. During the 'Angel and the Bane' story arc he even asks Bruce why is it no matter what he does he can never make him happy or gain his acceptance like the Robins. At the heart of it, JPV is really just trying to find himself and be accepted in all this madness.
    Azrael Online - The Source for all things Azrael

Maybe issue 79 because Bruce finally gives him some recognition. His approval is basically what he's been after the entire series. During the 'Angel and the Bane' story arc he even asks Bruce why is it no matter what he does he can never make him happy or gain his acceptance like the Robins. At the heart of it, JPV is really just trying to find himself and be accepted in all this madness.
    Hmm. Maybe I'll try to read up to that issue, then. I'll put it in the back of my mind.

Today's Justice League: Odyssey was fun, though still frustratingly shallow in the characterization of Jean-Paul. I hope that Abnett has a stronger handle on his characterization.

I'm also curious if all these robots are actually from Tynion's Detective run, or a completely different thing. It would feel a bit silly for them to be completely different, in my mind, but I don't think the connection is drawn clearly enough in the writing so far.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Hmm. Maybe I'll try to read up to that issue, then. I'll put it in the back of my mind.

Today's Justice League: Odyssey was fun, though still frustratingly shallow in the characterization of Jean-Paul. I hope that Abnett has a stronger handle on his characterization.

I'm also curious if all these robots are actually from Tynion's Detective run, or a completely different thing. It would feel a bit silly for them to be completely different, in my mind, but I don't think the connection is drawn clearly enough in the writing so far.
    Ywea, wasn't a bad issue. I'm curious to see where this goes.
    I think they may be people, not robots. The robots from Detective though I think were more modeled after the suit that Luke wore. We can only hope that Abnett gets it right.

Ywea, wasn't a bad issue. I'm curious to see where this goes.
    I think they may be people, not robots. The robots from Detective though I think were more modeled after the suit that Luke wore. We can only hope that Abnett gets it right.
    Are they? I thought they were robots. Will have to reread.

The art was gorgeous, though! (Still bummed that it's just fill in )

Are they? I thought they were robots. Will have to reread.

The art was gorgeous, though! (Still bummed that it's just fill in )
    Yea, art wasn't bad in this issue.
    The way they were all standing uniform probably had that effect, hah. I'm curious where they go with this next issue.

First look at Azrael in Curse of the White Knight (I thini it's the title)

Looks like a St. Dumas dude, but a bit old to be Jean-Paul. Though Batman is pretty old in this universe.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

The original and best Az of them all.

I just picked up JL Odyssey in TPB and I'm curious to see how he is treated.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    The original and best Az of them all.

I just picked up JL Odyssey in TPB and I'm curious to see how he is treated.
    Let us know what you think!

Guys what would be your recommended reading on Azrael?
    I'm just starting with the Batman comics and I love crusaderesque guys. It captivated me instanly and would love to read more about this guy

Quote Originally Posted by LostZargatan View Post
    Guys what would be your recommended reading on Azrael?
    I'm just starting with the Batman comics and I love crusaderesque guys. It captivated me instanly and would love to read more about this guy
    Well, I'd recommend reading Knightfall - the radio drama is a great summary of the story (https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5O...VMLGlsmznuBKt?), or you can check out the new and very shiny trades, starting with Fallen Angel (https://www.amazon.com/Azrael-Vol-Fa...gateway&sr=8-1), and then going on to the whole Knightfall saga (starting here: https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Knight...PNZWFVSFJPHJXM).

They haven't reprinted most of Azrael's solo series outside of that run, though a few issues show up in events like Cataclysm and No Man's Land. There was a second Azrael during the Batman: Reborn era, Michael Lane, and I liked him okay, but not quite as much as Jean-Paul. His stuff is very hard to find, though I think it's all on comixology.

Azrael was erased...sort of...in the n52. During Batman and Robin Eternal, he returned. That story doesn't focus on him, but he is kinda fun there. He returned in Detective Comics 934-981, though his only major story was Intelligence (https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Detect...al-text&sr=1-1). I really liked his cameos all through that book - it's what made me love him, actually - so I'd definitely recommend that whole run.

Additionally, I am really enjoying Batman: Curse of the White Knight being released now - it's an Alternate Universe, but Jean-Paul is a pretty cool character.

Well, I'd recommend reading Knightfall - the radio drama is a great summary of the story (https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5O...VMLGlsmznuBKt?), or you can check out the new and very shiny trades, starting with Fallen Angel (https://www.amazon.com/Azrael-Vol-Fa...gateway&sr=8-1), and then going on to the whole Knightfall saga (starting here: https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Knight...PNZWFVSFJPHJXM).

They haven't reprinted most of Azrael's solo series outside of that run, though a few issues show up in events like Cataclysm and No Man's Land. There was a second Azrael during the Batman: Reborn era, Michael Lane, and I liked him okay, but not quite as much as Jean-Paul. His stuff is very hard to find, though I think it's all on comixology.

Azrael was erased...sort of...in the n52. During Batman and Robin Eternal, he returned. That story doesn't focus on him, but he is kinda fun there. He returned in Detective Comics 934-981, though his only major story was Intelligence (https://www.amazon.com/Batman-Detect...al-text&sr=1-1). I really liked his cameos all through that book - it's what made me love him, actually - so I'd definitely recommend that whole run.

Additionally, I am really enjoying Batman: Curse of the White Knight being released now - it's an Alternate Universe, but Jean-Paul is a pretty cool character.
    Thank you very much sir(?)

Quote Originally Posted by LostZargatan View Post
    Thank you very much sir(?)
    You're very welcome! And I am a guy, so if you wish to call me sir, that's okay!

Hope you enjoy some or any of these Azrael stories, and if you do, let us know what you think!

Pretty brutal showing of CotWk Azrael today.

I was a little dubitative after reading the first two issues, but Murphy definitively sold me back on this Bat Universe with today's !